Louisiana POST Handgun Qualification

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    Fellow LEO's,

I consider myself an average or slightly above average (at best) handgunner. I'm going through POST right now. We started shooting a couple weeks ago and our POST shoot is this weekend. That being said, I feel like the course is way too simple. After shooting the course 6 or 7 times i'm already shooting near perfect scores. Does anyone else feel like the course needs to be reworked by the state?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yes it is very basic not only in Louisiana but other states as well. That does not mean you can not use the range to shoot defensive drills which will enhance your shooting skills.
    There is a reason it is very basic, read the old thread suggested above.

BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    My agency is actually pretty advanced as far as training goes. I'm just more concerned/bothered by the other departments that are pretty laxed as far as only requiring POST qualification. If i'm in a critical incident I definitely don't want to have to rely on someone that barely passed POST with a 96. Hell I'm not even sure I would want to rely on someone that passed with a 110.
    I think the course definitely needs to be improved and tightened up a bit.

Commander 007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Consider this. Some states do not require you to quilify to be a police office. This was just a few years ago may have changed by now.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My agency is actually pretty advanced as far as training goes. I'm just more concerned/bothered by the other departments that are pretty laxed as far as only requiring POST qualification. If i'm in a critical incident I definitely don't want to have to rely on someone that barely passed POST with a 96. Hell I'm not even sure I would want to rely on someone that passed with a 110.
    I think the course definitely needs to be improved and tightened up a bit.

You will likely retire without ever firing your pistol in the line of duty. You can do your training but you can not save the World and you are not going to change Reb++++ and P O S T Officials minds about the course. PK tried for years and he was on the P O ST Council.

Last edited:

BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    You will likely retire without ever firing your pistol in the line of duty.

Hopefully you are correct.

I'm not the type to try and save the world, but I do think Louisiana is falling short in letting officers out on the streets with these simple qualifications.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Hopefully you are correct.

I'm not the type to try and save the world, but I do think Louisiana is falling short in letting officers out on the streets with these simple qualifications.

This is the basic beginning, continue your training after P O S T. If your Agency does not have qualified Instructors to assist you contact someone who can.
    You can go to classes and get additional training from qualified people such as Vanilla Gorilla on this forum.

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    The POST qual is simply a measure of basic capability, the agency is supposed to be responsible for follow on advanced training based on several court decisions. The reality is that follow on training varies in quality, frequency and type and in cash poor agencies (pretty much all of LA) it's either non-existent or being taught by the fat ass guy that hasn't been a patrol cop since 1977 which is why you see most guys paying for quality follow on training out of their pockets.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    On the Subject of follow on training; it's discouraging to see the amount of
    Money guys will spend on LEDs for their cars, gadgets, guns, etc. and then hear them wail about how they can't/won't spend their own money on training. We bring the very best Firearms Trainers in the World here to La. Does it cost? Sure. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    and then hear them wail about how they can't/won't spend their own money on training. We bring the very best Firearms Trainers in the World here to La. Does it cost? Sure. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

I've taken a few classes with the VATA Group (I'm not LE); there are always many LEO's in the class.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The post course is set up for a basic standard. I prefer more reality based training and have witnessed perfect score shooters on the post course not hit **** in a real shooting and a guy who shoots 110's go 2 for 2. Shoot the course and then go practice real ****. I will assume that you are fairly new to this LE stuff and you will learn to not sweat the little stuff.

MOTOR51

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    A quote from a POST instructor circa 1988--"The POST course is designed to allow an unskilled shooter to achieve a numerical score high enough for legal purposes." As it is currently practiced it is a mere demonstration of VERY basic handgun fundamentals and little more. Time limits are huge (for the most part) and I have been present when a rank novice shot a perfect score after one hour of coaching. Courses of fire in other areas of the country are usually similar in format to ours. Departments are not going to bring a recruit up to a high level of skill (what ever that is) due to the high cost in time and ammunition.

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    It's a basic course do like the smart ones and take a class with more high speed training. I rather spend a grand on training that a grand on my damn lights and gadgets. Well maybe a little money on gadgets. Best money ever spent was on 3 years worth of BJJ training.

LA_LEO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    BlueLineIPSC, just dont be the SAC who shoots a 68 on the POST course a year after you get out of the academy! Annual inservice usually shows which Officers that dont practice on there own time. The only time I shoot a POST course is for inservice. Practice shooting like you would have to shoot in a gun fight or to protect yours or someone elses life.

fireworksman3

Skilled
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Walker
    I agree. It is called basic for a reason. I went through in 02. I was already well qualified but a lot of guy's on my department were not...and it showed during the course of fire. We were very lucky to have world class instructors like Frank Washington from EBR who did what he was hired to do...get you through POST...the rest was up to us!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I agree. It is called basic for a reason. I went through in 02. I was already well qualified but a lot of guy's on my department were not...and it showed during the course of fire. We were very lucky to have world class instructors like Frank Washington from EBR who did what he was hired to do...get you through POST...the rest was up to us!

Frank and I went through the Basic Academy together a few years back, good guy.

Top Bottom