Louisiana School of Bushcraft - post 4 day course review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    http://wildbayou.com/

I had the opportunity to spend 4 days learning from the Louisiana School of Bushcraft this past weekend.

Originally the school had scheduled Tom Brown III, son of famed tracker Tom Brown Jr, to come teach a 4-day class on Primitive Hunting Techniques. Unfortunately, Mr. Brown declined to travel to teach the class after the school was unable to meet the attendance requirements set by Mr. Brown. Given the circumstances the school offered to refund the class fees to all students unless there was an interest to move forward with the same date/time scheduled but have them teach their four core classes; Food Procurement, Water Procurement, Fire-Craft and Shelter. All students elected to continue on with the change in schedule.

Without going into too much details of how and what was taught in the four core classes, I must say that I was thoroughly impressed and satisfied that I attended despite the change in the original course. We camped at the Avondale Scout Reservation, Boy Scouts Campground in Clinton, LA. Students were responsible for their clothes and meals for 4 days and were responsible for some other minor items most people should have already save for a good fixed blade knife (ie: Ka-Bar USMC, BK2 or Tracker Knife).

Our primary instructor was Jonathon Pinckard, retired USMC. He was very knowledgeable with plant recognition, edible and non-edible, their practical uses, fire starting methods, bush craft tools, water collecting and filtering, tracking and shelters. Our secondary instructor was Casey Varnado. He was our instructor for Traps and Weapons.

The classes were more hands on, field exercises and practicing with minor lecturing and class room time. Traps, Fires and such were built and tested by students rather than pre-assembled by the instructor and demonstrated.

I can't say enough good things about the time spent with the instructors learning and applying these techniques first hand rather than just read about them.

Give these guys a call if you have any questions about their courses. Check their site for their class schedules.

Louisiana School of Bushcraft L.L.C.
    P.O. Box 3005
    Hammond, La 70404

Office Phone: (225) 315-9856

Email address: louisianbushcraft@louisianabushcraft.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Louisiana-School-of-Bushcraft/149943295043815

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    Thanks for the contact info and email reply. Glad yall were able to make it work out and have a good time.

How many people attended vs the attendance requirement set by T3?
    Seems lately the majority of the classes his dad offers borders more on philosophy than developing certain survival skill sets.
    Have you checked out the latest schedule/class offerings at Sigma 3 in AR?

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Thanks for the contact info and email reply. Glad yall were able to make it work out and have a good time.

How many people attended vs the attendance requirement set by T3?
    Seemed to bounce between 9 and 10.

Seems lately the majority of the classes his dad offers borders more on philosophy than developing certain survival skill sets.
    I've heard and read the same thing. not sure if T3 would have done the same but I was still happy with the course we got.

Have you checked out the latest schedule/class offerings at Sigma 3 in AR?
    negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom