Low light dilemma... VX-II 50mm vs VX-3 40mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Need some advice

I bought one of midway's blemished leupold scopes (VX-II 4-12x50) the other day to put on my Rem 700 .270 after I robbed it of the old Vari X III which now resides on my AR. The problem is I just got an offer for a VX-3 4.5-14 x 40 for a hell of a price; however, it's still more expensive than the vxii by about a Benjamin.

My question is... for a fair balance of longer range (300-500 yds) and low light hunting, should I keep the VX-II or take offer on the VX-3?

I'm very much a novice when it comes to optics so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    My experience with Leupold is they suck for gathering light.Tuff as nails but a Nikon or Simmons or Bushnell etc. for 1/3 the price will gather as much or more light.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    The 50mm will give you a larger exit pupil which is going to be nice to have on the 12x. Is it a VX-3 or VX-III. There is a difference is why I ask. VX-3 replaced the VX-III with better lens coatings. Light transmission (glass doesn't gather light it transmits it) will be a tad better in the newer version. However, a smaller exit pupil, no matter how good the glass and its coating are, the worse the performance the optic will appear to have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom