LPK preference?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am ordering LPK's

Ordering just a LPK without trigger guard parts and grip is almost silly at the OEM level, that is what I wanted to do, but they offer those pieces so cheap (and hit you hard on the trigger parts)

I have a few options.

1- LPK without a trigger group or trigger parts, you would choose your own. I could have a variety of options available, keep in mind aftermarket triggers are pricey, but this is the way to go if you aren't going to use a mil spec trigger
    2- Complete LPK with normal milspec trigger with regular pull (standard is 6-8lbs)
    3- Complete LPK with a trigger tuned to 4-5lbs

Pricing is prelim, these kits are going through stringent QC and will have all parts that fit. I will have replacement parts for those that sling springs across the room, some pieces are cheap, some are surprisingly expensive.

1 - $35ish
    2 - $70ish
    3 - $75ish+

I am working on getting a kit priced with a true ACT trigger, it will run north of $100.

Let me know your thoughts, I won't have final pricing nailed down until I get contracts in place. I can get cheaper kits, but they have cheaper parts. I am not going for cheap, I am going for value. I am thinking kit 3 will end up the best option for now, but that is my personal preference. It is probably what we will build in house rifles with.

I am also ordering all kinds of AR parts, I want to have stuff available when our lowers arrive shortly. Let me know what you think, especially those who purchased lowers or plan on ordering a lower.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I thought all mil-spec kits were the same, but no the DPMS one I bought years ago had a crappy trigger, the CMMG & RRA I used last few times were much better. Glad you going with quality vs costs. Keep us posted.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    One kit milspec, one kit without trigger, trigger guard or safety lever. A huge chunk of the market replaces those three parts.

I wouldn't be interested in a "tuned" trigger unless it was built that way (ALG, etc).

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Complete LPK with trigger tuned to 4-5 pounds would be what I'm most interested in.
    I prefer just to install and forget and like the convenience of an all-in-one option.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Getting a kit without a trigger guard doesn't offer any cost savings, the cost savings is dumping the trigger group. I am going to have ALG triggers available (they are priced fix essentially since MSRP and MAP are the same price) and the kit with the 4-5lb trigger is basically a knock off ACT Style trigger.... It is made in the USA.

It is better to go "no name" than name brand simply due to the fact I can source the parts and make sure they are all US made parts. Name brand kits are a crap shoot from what I am finding.... and you pay for a name...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't see how generic parts would be somehow more reliable than name brand parts. :dunno:

If you're looking for good triggerless kits I would consider becoming a dealer for White Oak, or bulk ordering the individual parts from Colt (as good as it gets). I can get you a component list with part numbers.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't see how generic parts would be somehow more reliable than name brand parts. :dunno:

If you're looking for good triggerless kits I would consider becoming a dealer for White Oak, or bulk ordering the individual parts from Colt (as good as it gets). I can get you a component list with part numbers.

We are going beyond getting a dealer account with someone, we are getting to pick our parts or pick our kits. There are a couple of options that come "kitted" already, it is cheaper to go that route and get the extra parts than to get a kit specially "kitted" for you that doesn't have a trigger guard...

Some companies don't care where their parts are made, and will take the overseas made parts, that is why I said it is a crap shoot with some name brands. It is interesting how a bundle of springs, pins and a couple unique parts are put together. Looks like we will be able to do a kit minus trigger sub $35, put in a QMS trigger for $45 it will probably be our standard kit offering completed Lowers. We are doing the complete LPK just to have the slightly cheaper option, but the bulk of what I am ordering are minus trigger groups, and 100% US made.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    What name brands are a crap shoot? If there is a spec, in this case The TDP, and the parts are made to that spec who cares if they were made here or in Botswana from a quality stand point anyway. I don't know what u have in the works but it sounds like you are more not less likely to get bad parts.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    What name brands are a crap shoot? If there is a spec, in this case The TDP, and the parts are made to that spec who cares if they were made here or in Botswana from a quality stand point anyway. I don't know what u have in the works but it sounds like you are more not less likely to get bad parts.

From seeing different LPK's from the same company, each different over a time span of a few months but labeled the same is not encouraging to me. The supplier I am using actually has the proper tech specs and makes those parts to the specs in house in the US. One reason I am not using the triggers, is that I don't want a 9lb trigger pull... they shoot for 8lbs... Some lower parts kits suppliers backwards engineer parts, and you get to the point where a part could have been backwards engineered from a backwards engineered part and get out of spec, or have a group with poor quality control. When the packaging is seen, some of the parts will have tell tell signs of some of the companies they supply.

Are these magical LPK's, NO. Are they something I will stand behind, YES! By securing a regular delivery of LPK's I am able to get bulk pricing on kits with much of the parts that are upgraded or not needed on a billet build I am able to get great pricing. Not all LPK's are created equally, that is not a secret, and some suppliers don't care where their parts come from for the civilian market and just get any part they can get their hands on. While I was on the phone today a large company was buying 10k of a single part from this supplier because they couldn't get it from their cheaper source. They are extending me that same pricing for committing to monthly orders.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, this looks like how things are going to happen.

We are ordering LPK's without trigger groups and without trigger guards.

We will have a selection of trigger guards available for those who are not building on billet lowers

We will stock ALG Defense Triggers, possibly some Giesselle triggers, accounts are being set up with both at the moment to be able to order direct from both.

We will have SPARE PARTS! You know those springs you fling across OZ and those detents that miraculously vanish before your eyes, and even those take down pins that don't fit from certain Florida based companies.

Pricing will be better than I thought overall, well except for the ALG triggers, they are set at MAP and well it is not worth violating MAP once you buy in.

Those who have pre ordered Lowers will have first shots at kits, but I hope to have enough to go around.

Thanks

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    From seeing different LPK's from the same company, each different over a time span of a few months but labeled the same is not encouraging to me. The supplier I am using actually has the proper tech specs and makes those parts to the specs in house in the US. One reason I am not using the triggers, is that I don't want a 9lb trigger pull... they shoot for 8lbs... Some lower parts kits suppliers backwards engineer parts, and you get to the point where a part could have been backwards engineered from a backwards engineered part and get out of spec, or have a group with poor quality control. When the packaging is seen, some of the parts will have tell tell signs of some of the companies they supply.

Are these magical LPK's, NO. Are they something I will stand behind, YES! By securing a regular delivery of LPK's I am able to get bulk pricing on kits with much of the parts that are upgraded or not needed on a billet build I am able to get great pricing. Not all LPK's are created equally, that is not a secret, and some suppliers don't care where their parts come from for the civilian market and just get any part they can get their hands on. While I was on the phone today a large company was buying 10k of a single part from this supplier because they couldn't get it from their cheaper source. They are extending me that same pricing for committing to monthly orders.

I'm not trying to bust your balls but are you being deliberately vague deliberately? What company's are you talking about? Who's parts do you intend to use?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    They are a DOD supplier, it is not a "brand", they will put my name on the kit if I want. They are US made mil spec parts, and kits bagged how I want them bagged. I am getting them without trigger groups and will be offering ALG defense trigger groups, or upgraded drop ins.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Why not disclose who is making them? If you're worried that customers will buy from the source vs. the middle-man, then the volume discount you are getting them at (or not...) sucks. If you are proud of the supplier...list them. If not, well, that's a shame. Why do people play secret squirrel with stuff like this? No other industry is like that. Even the sports car/speed shop world, which is exceedingly nasty and backstabbing.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I would like to buy local but I have to problems with the way this was presented:

1. The way to vague swipe at name brands. What's a name brand? What name brands are you comparing your product to? The vagueness makes me suspicious.

2. I can buy what I need from any number of sources as they will tell
    Me whos parts I'm buying. The unwillingness on your part to do the same makes me again suspicious.

Lower Parts are either to Spec or not. There are none that are to spec and better than others in spec. There are very few companies making in spec parts and the supplying them industry wide. I'm sure your intentions are good but to me your presentation is off putting.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I can give the brand of the trigger I am using. ALG Defense triggers. The other parts have no name brand, they are like you said just mil spec parts. Once you see the packaging it will be very obvious who one of their customers is, but that is not the only company they put kits together for. I doubt anyone else is going to pony up the $25k or so it takes to get a contract for LPK's, so I am not worried about anyone jumping in.

I only know of two kitters in the US that provide 100% Guaranteed US made parts, with the machined parts made in house. You need an 07FFL to even get into contact with them.

My goal is to put together the best kit possible at a reasonable price with great flexibility in its configuration. If you need a name brand, it will be Ferrara Firearms kit w/ALG defense Trigger.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Again with the non-answer. What company name goes at the top of the invoice? What name brands were you maligning in the initial post you made claiming they used sub standard parts?

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i'm going to ASSume the Florida company he mentioned is Spike's Tactical. i don't know many companies in florida besides Knight's and Spike's, but i'm sure there are a lot more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom