LSU Student needs help with survey for big game hunters!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Hello everyone,
    I am working on an interesting project this year under a patent as my senior design project at LSU in the Mechanical Engineering Department. The idea behind this product is to stack materials that can simulate the structure (Skin, bones, muscle, organs) of a big game animal and you can test your hunting loads to get an idea of penetration and overall damage. Great way to gain some piece of mind for your next expensive hunting trip. The idea is to cover everything from deer to Cape Buffalo. I would really appreciate if I can get as many hunters as possible to fill out this consumer survey my team developed.
    You can enter to win a $25 Amazon gift card and of course all your info if you opt in will remain private.
    Thanks!

http://lsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5hSrl9lifDSNSVn

Last edited:

clo5

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Im a junior in ME and saw this project presented two years ago and they got absolutely destroyed by the panel. They did not present well and only used a basic penetration equation that did not account for deflection from the different materials in the box. Make sure you guys do a lot of research on how agencies like the FBI conduct ballistic tests and how that data would compare to the ballistic box. Good luck.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Im a junior in ME and saw this project presented two years ago and they got absolutely destroyed by the panel. They did not present well and only used a basic penetration equation that did not account for deflection from the different materials in the box. Make sure you guys do a lot of research on how agencies like the FBI conduct ballistic tests and how that data would compare to the ballistic box. Good luck.

Yeah, I've watched a couple presentations. In theory, there shouldn't be much deflection but calculating that would be rather difficult. As long as we follow certain parameters and get it built in a reliable yet cost efficient matter, it should be fine. If the bullet were to have a dramatic deflection, then it could say something. Only way to get it perfect (in my opinion) is to have actual bones laid inside but that would get very expensive. Generally (from my experience) for the calibers this may be designed for, heavier bullets usually (I'm saying that lightly) don't have as drastic of a deflection. We are still in concept generation. We will have a different setup than previous years. The prototypes were good last year but their market research wasn't in depth enough and the prototype was very expensive to produce.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom