Lube for reel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Just bought a heavy-duty rod and Ambassadeur 7000 reel from a pawnshop for $12. Reel freespool button was stuck down, but some WD40 loosened it up and now clicks in and out like it should. But the reel feels kinda gummy inside. I can cast with it with plenty of weight on the end of the line. But is there something I can do to lube or free up the inner workings of the reel so casting is easier -- WITHOUT taking it apart? I would never get it back together again and would prob lose half the parts and bearings in the process. Thanks for any advice.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Dawn diahwashing liquid and hot water. Just remember, this will remove all of the oil and grease. It will need to be relubed or it won't last very long.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Bring it to somebody like professional sports and let them take it down and clean it. It's not expensive.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Used to be a place in Baton Rouge called Favro's or something like that . All of the fishermen I knew used them for reel repair . Might still be around . I agree it probably needs a professional clean and lube .

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Those Abu's are the easiest things to take apart and fix.

Does yours have a level wind? Check out Abu's website and pull up a schematic. Those things haven't changed much at all since they came out. I'm willing to bet your spool bearings are shot. There are two of them and you can get replacements are professional sports on julia street for 10 bucks a pop. Very easy to check and replace. New drag washers are a few bucks and so is a bottle of drag grease. <--- not an easy job for a novice.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Boca bea ring and high speed boca lube.
    can be bought off Amazon.
    Search Boca bearings.These are what are used in
    dentist drills. Hot sauce is also a good reel lube. (The brand ).

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Another trick is to remove all the line and spray liberally inside with choke cleaner, brake cleaner , or spray gun cleaner. The idea being to dissolve the old gummy grease. You got to flood it , let it dissolve the gum and flush it all out. Might have to repeat three times to un-gum. Most likely there are few places to get a spray nozzle into...just do your best. Or you cold submerge it in a cleaner in a small pan, keep swishing it around until all the old grease inside is dissolved.
    Use spray lube to re-lube with if you are not taking it apart.
    Actually reels are not that complicated to remove a handle and side plate just enough to get access to the main gears so you can properly clean and re-lube, The trick is having a disassemble diagram (look on line) and just taking a side plate off to expose the gears, you don't have to remove every part , gear, cog and wheel in there.
    Wally-Mart , Academy , Bass pro, Cabelas etc. , all sell reel lube in the fishing section.
    And , if you don't feel like opening it up, Favaro's Rod and Reel shop is still located on Weller Ave. ph. (225) 355-4368. Mr. Bill Favaro has repaired many a reel for me , he always has parts for reels that are no longer in production, super nice guy too.

Good luck Gary

Last edited:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been using these people for many years.

https://www.southwesternparts.com/

I take all of my Ambassadeurs completely apart and r&r whatever needs it and relube. Usually I take apart every year and clean with hot water and relube. I've used everything imaginable for lube. Light oil doesn't last long. For years I used the military oil in the green can. It's like 3-in-1 oil. Motor oil works ok. Lubriplate (like what we used to use on M-16's) worked good. Axle grease is a little heavy and slows down casts and decreases distance.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    With all thenewer reels having plastic parts
    These days compounds like carbon cleaner may cause
    Damage. If bearings are removed you can soak in hot water and simple green to clean inside of bearings. Re lube with hot sauce reel lube. Results are amazing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom