Magnum primers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    In all the recent hullabaloo, it turns out I bought two boxes of CCI Small Pistol Magnum primers when I thought I was buying regular small pistol. It isn't that big of a deal, because I could always just shoot lots of weaksauce .357 Mag loads instead of my customary .38 special target load, but I have two questions: Question 1: Does anyone out there want to swap me for one or both of these boxes of small pistol magnum for regular small pistol? I'm in the BR/denham springs area Question 2: Since I'm pretty sure no one wants to trade, what is the real down low on using magnum primers in non-magnum loads? I've heard it can be done, and I know you need to watch out for overpressure, but assuming I'm not loading anything too hot, is anything stopping me from just using them for something like 9mm in a light load?

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    treat them just like changing any other component. work up with them and all should be fine. that said i have quite a few k wolf small pistol i would trade if you wanted. i don't necessarily need the mag but could put them to use eventually.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I tested Fed magnum primers and Fed regular primers in my 9mm last week. The velocity avg increase was 19 fps. The standard deviation was double (15 vs 7), and the accuracy was worse. I accidentally loaded 600 rounds with magnum primers so I'll use them for practice since I didn't catch my error in time.

Top Bottom