Magpul BAD levers, thoughts or opinions from users.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I've been on the fence about getting one to try out, but I did. . First off I'm not one of those wanna be military types, just an average gun guy who wants the most out of his weapon. I've been wanting to train with my AR's for FTF's, jams, quick reloads etc etc. I was thinking with a little practice this could speed up a reload, but I would have to train enough to make using it a more "natural " movement that using the standard bolt release. I use dummy rounds and just keep swapping mags and dry fire to get familiar with it. Anyone else love it or hate it??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210417-180855_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20210417-180855_Gallery.jpg
      201.1 KB · Views: 152

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Could be advantageous but with the limitation of continuity of training. If you have only one gun with a BAD, and that is the only gun you use then it might be a tool to speed your bolt lock reloads or stage three clearances...but...I have seen more than one shooter on firing lines I am running that have such a wide selection of devices on their different rifles, a bit of stress trips them up. I have watched them perform a bolt lock reload and their finger, that traditionally manipulates the BAD device, flipping back and forth in the air for several seconds before the brain catches up and tells them they are using a different rifle. Pretty time consuming in a battle to have your brain vapor lock because your new cool accessory is on a different rifle. Just food for thought.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    AR fan since 1980, I never could see a real advantage that outweighed the extra snag hanging off the rifle. Personally, just another change that is unwarranted. Nothing broke, nothing lacking. I am a fan of the extended charging handle latch on certain AR rifles that make it easier to use the back of the thumb base or ball of my palm to charge the rifle while it’s up to my shoulder. I guess that could be considered a snag by some.
    It’s likely one of those things you’ll have to try and see if it works for you.

Jf837

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    I am aware of a handful of ND's from serious users that were directly attributable to BAD levers. I am of the opinion that the trigger finger should only have one job. It is a great idea in theory, just doesn't cut the mustard in operation. Just my .02.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Not a fan at all but I’m sure some people love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bergeron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I had one, and I ditched it. I thought it might be good for manually locking the bolt back while maintaining a firing grip on the gun, and faster for dropping the bolt, but it actually sat far enough inside the trigger well that you were reaching inside the trigger well to operate the device.

I'm much happier with the PDQ lever, even if it means cutting on the lower. There's also the lowers that dual-use the mag release to also lock the bolt, and the lowers with ejection-port side bolt releases (you can even get those features together). Not a fan of the BAD Lever.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I am a fan of extended charging handles and have them on both of my Rifles since I have scopes on them. I plan on training a good bit to make it a more natural movement (muscle memory). I don't get alot of range time but can do drills simulating failures, reloads etc etc.both of my Rifles are similar, same type handguard, grip, triggers, main difference will be barrel length, ones a 16 inch and ones 18. Since they aren't alot of money, no big deal if I decide to ditch them. Thanks for all the input!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Bill Blowers of Tap Rack Tactical and Mark Smith of JBS Training are both fans of them.

I am not. My reasons for not liking it are that I don’t find it necessary. This has and likely always will be my response to a BAD lever.

There have been documented cases of shooters failing to engage the safety on a locked bolt, inserting a magazine, and failing to positively engage the BAD lever which ultimately led to a negligent discharge. Seems farfetched, but you’re adding another control inside the trigger guard. Blame it on the BAD lever, blame it on the shooter, I don’t care. It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

If you want a bolt release on the right side, get an ambi lower.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hopefully It will become natural and easier. If not, I'll take them off and go back to the standard way. I see an advantage of speed, but my muscle memory is use to the old way. Time to try and teach an old dog new tricks! Lol Outfitting both Rifles similarly should help with training.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hopefully It will become natural and easier. If not, I'll take them off and go back to the standard way. I see an advantage of speed, but my muscle memory is use to the old way. Time to try and teach an old dog new tricks! Lol Outfitting both Rifles similarly should help with training.

Ensure you engage the safety prior to reloading and you won’t goof up.

With a BAD: engage safety, drop mag, insert mag, hit BAD lever with trigger finger.
    Without a BAD: engage safety, drop mag, insert mag, hit bolt catch with thumb.

Run it on a timer. That will give you your answer.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I like mine on my Highpower competition guns simply because I do not have to break position in slow prone to close the bolt which is important for NPA
    I dont have them on my other ar's though I dont see the need.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have spent a little time practicing with it this weekend, but I'm not necessarily after speed (I'm not that fast anyway), but more of ease of operation and using one finger for multiple function vs releasing my left hand to drop the bolt and right hand (finger) to drop mag. I'm noticing that I relax my grip with my right hand to move my finger forward to operate both BAD lever and mag release. I don't do this only releasing the mag. I seem the do this to make it easier to operate the BAD lever. Looks like I got some things to work on or just remove it. I'm still on the fence about it, I see pros to it and cons. Time will tell I guess. Thanks to all for the input and advice.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have had one on my main rifle for at least 10 years and many, many thousand rounds with no issue.

I only really use it as a bolt lock, mostly when clearing malfunctions... I can keep my strong hand on the grip, pull the charging handle with support side, and just use my trigger finger to activate the bolt lock and/or mag release. Strong hand stays in one place and support hand does the work between charging handle and magazine (if it needs to be ripped out). I find it more efficient than switching hands back and forth, especially in pitch black while pursuing outlaw quadrupeds.

I rarely use it as a bolt release. For that I use my support thumb.

It may not be for everyone. I understand it slightly changes the manual of arms and I'm ok with that.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have had one on my main rifle for at least 10 years and many, many thousand rounds with no issue.

I only really use it as a bolt lock, mostly when clearing malfunctions... I can keep my strong hand on the grip, pull the charging handle with support side, and just use my trigger finger to activate the bolt lock and/or mag release. Strong hand stays in one place and support hand does the work between charging handle and magazine (if it needs to be ripped out). I find it more efficient than switching hands back and forth, especially in pitch black while pursuing outlaw quadrupeds.

I rarely use it as a bolt release. For that I use my support thumb.

It may not be for everyone. I understand it slightly changes the manual of arms and I'm ok with that.

Im with Joey and it’s the same reason I been running it for years at matches and training classes. As with anything, try it out and see if it is advantageous to you.

As far as the ND issues stated by others, I have never seen it happen and has never even crossed my mind as an issue.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Im with Joey and it’s the same reason I been running it for years at matches and training classes. As with anything, try it out and see if it is advantageous to you.

As far as the ND issues stated by others, I have never seen it happen and has never even crossed my mind as an issue.

There was a video of a 3 gun competitor talking about his ND not too long ago. BAD or not, he pulled the trigger with the safety off.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So he blamed the tool? Lol

Crazy how those guns go off, when the trigger is pulled and safety is off. Lol

Yea, I’m not saying it’s the BAD levers fault, but it happened due to a series of events that started with him not engaging the safety on a reload. Every *BAD lever* ND is because of that. I use it as a reminder to engage the safety. I have long thumbs, so I never used a BAD.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    The "trigger finger should have one job" argument has always seemed like a bit of a blunt instrument to me... a BAD lever sits 1" forward and 1/2" to the right of the trigger, extending out past the side of the receiver. As far as finger movement goes, that's not an insignificant distance. Most shooters have control of their trigger finger down to small factions of an inch (i.e., prepping a trigger). Safety and discipline are safety and discipline.

Top Bottom