Magpul D-60

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Anybody get to use one of these yet? What's the word? Never really looked for reviews. Just saw them at Kentucky Gun Co. For 99 bucks. Well, 2 to the door for $210. Not exactly a Beta mag, but tighter to the rifle than my Surefire mags.
    Anybody tried one? If so, how'd it do?

386f19c0eb0c243a8849ee373b5da336.jpg

715f038d0eafe134c033cb98a8d34404.jpg

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Funny you mention it, because I have one on the way. I think UPS will drop it today. I've stuck with 20 and 30 rounders on the AR, but recently bought a Surefire 60-round stick mag and that P-Mag 60-round drum just for the grins. Once I get chance to give them a spin, I'll let you know. Cheers.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Funny you mention it, because I have one on the way. I think UPS will drop it today. I've stuck with 20 and 30 rounders on the AR, but recently bought a Surefire 60-round stick mag and that P-Mag 60-round drum just for the grins. Once I get chance to give them a spin, I'll let you know. Cheers.

Please keep us updated especially on the sure fire. I have seen a lot of negative reviews on the first run of the surefires but nothing but positive reviews on the Magpul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks guys. I will likely be giving them a shot in a week or so. Just too much going on at the moment to go shoot.
    As to the Surefire mags, I bought my 60 rounders at Interstate prolly a year ago and they have definitely been put through the paces. No issues to date.
    I just figured the DMAG (I'm coining that btw) would be a nice alternative, with the weight a little tighter to the rifle and take away that pendulum feel of 60 rounds hanging off the magwell. After loading a mag I gotta say, I got that much accomplished.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Thanks guys. I will likely be giving them a shot in a week or so. Just too much going on at the moment to go shoot.
    As to the Surefire mags, I bought my 60 rounders at Interstate prolly a year ago and they have definitely been put through the paces. No issues to date.
    I just figured the DMAG (I'm coining that btw) would be a nice alternative, with the weight a little tighter to the rifle and take away that pendulum feel of 60 rounds hanging off the magwell. After loading a mag I gotta say, I got that much accomplished.

At your age, how long did it take to load the mag?

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Please keep us updated especially on the sure fire.

Will do. And UPS did drop it off at my office today. It is much more compact than I thought, which is a good thing. It loads, kinda-sorta, like an AK drum I had years ago in that you push down a lever and fill'er up. The construction appears to be solid.

Anywho, here is a pic I took after getting home. For size comparison I threw in a regular, run of the mill, 30-rounder and a normal sized playing card. And the 60-round Surefire just because.

Drump.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I have one. Its what you would expect from magpul. Reliable and tough. I have a few hundred rds through mine without any issues. Its kind of a PITA to load but has a lever that depresses the spring. You can load it up in about 5 minutes.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    How well do those Surefire magazines work? I've heard they're prone to jamming.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I had a 60rd model when they first came out. Jamtastic for sure. I finally got around to sending it back to Surefire and also let them know that I was using it in junction with a Scar 16. They sent me out a brand new updated version. It seems to do OK. I think I've only shot it about twice though. I need to run it through its paces to give a true/fair assessment of it.

I hope the D-60 is more reliable than this.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have one. Its what you would expect from magpul. Reliable and tough. I have a few hundred rds through mine without any issues. Its kind of a PITA to load but has a lever that depresses the spring. You can load it up in about 5 minutes.

Thanks so much! Just what I was hoping to hear, except now I have to buy more, lol.

As to the Surefire mags, I must have gotten updated versions because I've had no problems with them. Wasn't interested in the 100 round version as I already have 2 original betamags and the amount of weight hanging down a foot below the weapon with the Surefire I figured would be a hindrance.

I did try a korean version, or a betamag wannabe a year or so ago. I remember how pissed I was at myself for loading 4 boxes of my ammo in there. I just gave it back to the guy half full. I figure $20 worth of ammo was a small price to pay for the lesson I learned.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Thanks so much! Just what I was hoping to hear, except now I have to buy more, lol.

As to the Surefire mags, I must have gotten updated versions because I've had no problems with them. Wasn't interested in the 100 round version as I already have 2 original betamags and the amount of weight hanging down a foot below the weapon with the Surefire I figured would be a hindrance.

I did try a korean version, or a betamag wannabe a year or so ago. I remember how pissed I was at myself for loading 4 boxes of my ammo in there. I just gave it back to the guy half full. I figure $20 worth of ammo was a small price to pay for the lesson I learned.

Get a Norinco drum...they run like a top.
    HtLrCNG.jpg

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'm very interested in hearing about the Magpul D-60, not all the other magazines. Does anyone here have experience with the Magul D-60?

JR1572

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm very interested in hearing about the Magpul D-60, not all the other magazines. Does anyone here have experience with the Magul D-60?

JR1572
    Got a chance to run mine today. Very pleased. As I expected, the weight was not an issue the way the mag hugs tighter to the gun than the straight mags. Loading was slow, but by the time I got to the 2nd mag it was easier. Lockup was great. Mags slide in easy and no wiggle. Blipped through the first 60 pretty quick with no issues. Ran it dry and loaded the other. Then I just fired controlled shots and double taps at the targets with a pause here and there. I started to think it would never run dry.
    I'm challenged to find an appropriate pouch in my gear pile for the D-60, but I bet Magpul has already got it covered. I still don't see carrying one at the ready over a few 30 round mags, as the bulk of the thing would negate any benefit. But to have one in the rifle and 6 or 8 standard mags as backup could work.

Top Bottom