Man gets wrapped around lathe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Just a reminder to all those that work around machinery, don't get complacent. Accidents occur everyday and I'm sure that nearly 100% of them happen to people that didn't think it would happen to them.

This video has apparently been around for a a little while but a friend just sent it to me the other day. It is extremely graphic, probably the most brutal thing I have ever seen. Do not watch this if you are uncomfortable with seeing death or blood and guts. You have been warned.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Tore him to pieces. I wish I could believe death came before unimaginable pain but I'm doubtful.

Safety can not be overstated, and that applies to every detail of life whether on a job or at home. We have dangerous things all around us. Many people die in many horrible ways, often due to negligence, stupidity, freaking out, complacency. Tools as simple and "unassuming" as your circular saw or chainsaw can cause life-threatening injuries if care is not taken and attention isn't paid.

Loading your own ammunition can be fatal if you don't pay attention.
    Do you check your barrels before potentially discharging? Every time? You should.

Safety first, in all things.

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    For some strange reason I liked hearing the stories of someone screwing up while working. As a result I’ve lived long enough to pass on those stories with a few of my own. In shop class I heard 2 stories, 1 with a lathe & 1 with a drive shaft. Both ended in scalping. The woman at MSY with her “It’s my Culture” hair learned the hard way that long hair and loose cloths don’t mix with machinery.
    People now think they don’t need to be safe cause if they get hurt they will just sue. Maybe if we had less safety labels that no body reads & more old guys with scares & stories there would be less dumb A$$es.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    In trade school (pre CNC), they warned us on the first day about hair, jewelry, clothing, etc., and told all the stories. The instructor also demonstrated breaking the loops coming off the bit when turning something on the lathe. Come winter time, and being young (16 and stupid), I of course forgot those cautions and was filing on a piece on a lathe that was dogged between centers, and with a long sleeve flannel shirt on. It happened so fast I couldn't even say what actually happened because I didn't see it, but I was almost thrown over the lathe with just my right hand on the tailstock keeping me out of the turning piece. The cuff of my left sleeve was torn off and thrown across the shop floor. After composing myself and picking up the evidence of my crime, I figured that the bolt head on the dog caught my sleeve cuff and tore it off in an instant.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    In trade school (pre CNC), they warned us on the first day about hair, jewelry, clothing, etc., and told all the stories. The instructor also demonstrated breaking the loops coming off the bit when turning something on the lathe. Come winter time, and being young (16 and stupid), I of course forgot those cautions and was filing on a piece on a lathe that was dogged between centers, and with a long sleeve flannel shirt on. It happened so fast I couldn't even say what actually happened because I didn't see it, but I was almost thrown over the lathe with just my right hand on the tailstock keeping me out of the turning piece. The cuff of my left sleeve was torn off and thrown across the shop floor. After composing myself and picking up the evidence of my crime, I figured that the bolt head on the dog caught my sleeve cuff and tore it off in an instant.
    How long did it take to cough your heart out of your chest? lol

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy working on a rig in the middle of a storm. He had tied himself off with a rope that came down through a "hole" in the upper deck. The hole was pretty small but when someone upstairs put the winch in gear it pulled him through it.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Complacency and/or laziness. The time it would take to stop the machine, turn it off, unplug and lock it out, etc., somehow gets to seem to be too much trouble. It's easy to fall into bad habits at work, due to all the times you did it and didn't get hurt training your mind to think that it won't ever happen. I've been guilty of it myself, used to work doing x-ray and fell into lazy habits, or even removing a tac light from a pistol without first unloading and clearing it. In initial field training, I never once saw my FTO or other officer put a seatbelt on a prisoner, and never did myself, until one tipped herself over in a turn and claimed a shoulder injury, had to get checked, and I spent the next year waiting for lawsuit service. I now nag the crap out of my shift every time they put a prisoner in their unit.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy working on a rig in the middle of a storm. He had tied himself off with a rope that came down through a "hole" in the upper deck. The hole was pretty small but when someone upstairs put the winch in gear it pulled him through it.
    He was using an air tugger to access the bottom of the drill floor through the mouse hole. Used to be commonplace. There was a miscommunication on the radio and the guy running the tugger kept coming up and pulled him through a small hole. They had to use drill pipe to shove the body out.
    Nowadays they use a manrider. Which is a tugger with a low capacity that shuts off when too much pressure is applied. And the operator must be able to see the man riding. Instead of a tugger with a 10ton capacity and no way to see.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    He was using an air tugger to access the bottom of the drill floor through the mouse hole. Used to be commonplace. There was a miscommunication on the radio and the guy running the tugger kept coming up and pulled him through a small hole. They had to use drill pipe to shove the body out.
    Nowadays they use a manrider. Which is a tugger with a low capacity that shuts off when too much pressure is applied. And the operator must be able to see the man riding. Instead of a tugger with a 10ton capacity and no way to see.
    Completely unimaginable what that man experienced. Makes me cringe to try to imagine it.

As horrible as the events in this thread are, discussing them can sure serve as a refresher in mindfulness.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Anyone wanna buy my lathe?

ahhhh....

I think it took him out instantly, after watching it a few times to see what happened. A lathe turns towards you, and the way it pulled him down so hard/fast I feel like it may have just crushed him/his head/broken his neck instantly. I dare not view the aftermath or look for audio.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I didn't watch because I have to work in a machine shop. I have had a couple of close calls, mostly, sanding to fix something after the machining process. I have been around several accidents but nothing fatal (Thank God). The machine feels nothing, hears nothing, sees nothing, like Schultz on Hogan's Heroes. The machine does what the operator tells it. I will not touch a chip with my bare hand.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The machine feels nothing, hears nothing, sees nothing, like Schultz on Hogan's Heroes. The machine does what the operator tells it. I will not touch a chip with my bare hand.
    We used to say that about our M1A1s. The tank doesn't care who it kills or hurts. One guy on my crew crushed his hand on sliding ammo safety door by being impatient.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Anyone wanna buy my lathe?

ahhhh....

I think it took him out instantly, after watching it a few times to see what happened. A lathe turns towards you, and the way it pulled him down so hard/fast I feel like it may have just crushed him/his head/broken his neck instantly. I dare not view the aftermath or look for audio.
    My perception was similar. Looked like it would've pulled him underneath first, rolled him up backwards since he was facing the machine. Certainly breaking bones every step of the way. That's f*****g horrible.

I'm not sure which is worse, watching it or pondering the details. I will not be looking for that aftermath video. I might grab a rod and go fishing a while, however. My safety refresher course tank overfloweth.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom