Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/man_fatally_shoots_girlfriend.html

Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide

by Ramon Antonio Vargas, The Times-Picayune
    Tuesday August 19, 2008, 9:30 AM
    A 23-year-old man's attempt to show his girlfriend a pistol ended in tragedy Monday night when the gun fired, killing her, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

Averyell Davis, 23, was shot in the abdomen after the handgun her boyfriend was handling went off, said sheriff's spokesman Col. John Fortunato. Curtis C. Murray has been arrested and booked with one count of negligent homicide.

The couple were in the living room of their home in the 500 block of Behrman Highway in Gretna at about 10:15 p.m. when the gun discharged, Fortunato said. Authorities did not specify what caused the gun to fire.

Emergency responders arrived at the couple's home, where Davis' mother met them and told them that her daughter was shot inside the home.

In the living room, they found Davis lying on the floor with a wounded abdomen.

Responders transported her to Ochsner Medical Center, and on the way there, she told authorities that her boyfriend accidentally shot her, according to Fortunato.

Davis died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Lt. Don English, the homicide detective handling the case, later booked Murray with the criminal charge at the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center.

Even though the victim claimed it was an accident, "our investigation showed negligence on (Murray's) part, and that's why he was charged," Fortunato said.

Negligent homicide defendants can face up to 5 years in prison, a fine up to $5,000, or both, according to state law.

Ramon Antonio Vargas can be reached at rvargas@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3300.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    My condolences to both families, this is horrible.

With that said. I really do hate when the news reports that he gun just went off. This has to be one of the most misunderstandings that non gun owners have. If this was the case, please would have to wear armor just to open up their gun cabinets.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    My condolences to both families, this is horrible.

With that said. I really do hate when the news reports that he gun just went off. This has to be one of the most misunderstandings that non gun owners have. If this was the case, please would have to wear armor just to open up their gun cabinets.

Agreed. When I bring non-gun friends (especially women) to the range and they see a holster strapped to my belt they all invariably say "What happens if it just GOES OFF??!!"

It takes a long time for new people to get over that fear.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My wife had similar fears when I first bought a gun. She was afraid it would just go off. What if it gets hot in the car and goes off? What if we get in a wreck? The no-safety glock wasn't helping anything either.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    My wife secretly hopes my gun goes off and kills me...:rofl:

I dont think guns will go off if left in hot car... As an experiment. I found 200 rounds of 45 that have been in the back of my SUV.. (that I rarely drive and is probably parked 20 days out of the mont.. )
    They have been in my truck since at least February.. :rofl:

Maybe he was like.. "This here gat will blow your guts out... Watch..."

:eek3::eek3:

It is however , Sad that she had an idiot for a boyfriend and she paid the highest price for it..

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    When I sold my old truck I found a box of 20 gauge shells that were in there for well over a year in the center console and never had any problems with them. I cleaned my truck yesterday and found a few loose rounds of 7.62 that have been there for about a month now.

Top Bottom