Man shoots mother while cleaning G19

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Man Shoots Mom by Accident

Todd Johnston, 27, had, some time earlier, returned home from the shooting range. Thursday evening after 8:30 p.m., he was at the kitchen table, at 12, Belvedere Lane in Palm Coast, cleaning his Glock 19 while talking to his girlfriend.

Johnston began the field stripping process, which requires the trigger to be pulled in order to remove the slide for cleaning. He assumed the weapon had been unloaded by the time he’d left the range. It wasn’t. The gun fired. Johnston’s mother, Jody Johnston, 53, was nearby. She was hit in the hip.
    An investigation confirmed that the shooting was accidental.
    http://flaglerlive.com/29528/shooting-burglary

:)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    major fail. is it just me or what? any non-carry range gun, I shoot it until it's empty, or unload it when done. I double check it for empty then and remove the mag. I check it again when I put it in the case. I check it again when it comes out, and so on. Basically, every time I touch it, I check it. Isn't that in the directions? :rolleyes:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    or you could be even safer and by an xdm, so you dont have to pull the trigger just in case:fawk:

but definitely that guy was ignorant I check and double check my guns when I pick them up. Unless I know they are loaded and want them to be.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    major fail. is it just me or what? any non-carry range gun, I shoot it until it's empty, or unload it when done. I double check it for empty then and remove the mag. I check it again when I put it in the case. I check it again when it comes out, and so on. Basically, every time I touch it, I check it. Isn't that in the directions? :rolleyes:

+1 to that every time i touch it i check.

My dad always raised me telling me that more unloaded guns kill people than loaded ones do...

I've seen people side swipe a car while changing a lane talking on a cell phone; fall into a mall fountain while texting, and now shoot their mom in the hip because of talking on a cell phone..:confused:

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Idiot.

I also check every time I touch my gun.
    And if I have to pull the trigger to field strip it then I check it at least twice and point it in a safe direction before pulling the trigger.

I thought that was in "Gun Handling 101 - The common sense lessons".

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

Some people .....usually people who dont shoot often.......do some crazy things like not checking or assuming.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria

"Isn't that in the directions?"
    Everyone knows that real men don't read no damn instructions.....................

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I dont understand how you sit to clean your gun and not check the chamber before breaking it down. How do you leave the range with one left in the chamber. That's why I don't like going to some ranges with crowds there you never know how responsible the persons are there handling around you. It's like everytime I go someone is there trying to teach another person the fundamentals of the gun and how to shoot, and it's usually someone who needs to be taught before they go and show them how to not be safe.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom