Man shoots mother while cleaning G19

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The more time I spend around firearms, the less comfortable I feel about people I don't know handling them. Necessary evil, I think.

You also learn how to pick up on someone's safety level within a few seconds of watching them handle the weapon. There are some very safe, fairly novice shooters out there-- and it always gives me warm and fuzzies to know someone took the time to teach them. I saw a lady the other day handling a pistol for the very first time, and she was 100% focused on being safe at every step. She even asked questions, instead of being concerned about "looking dumb".

I do not accept the common adage that "anyone who handles guns long enough will have an ND/AD". Short of mechanical failures, there is absolutely no reason why someone couldn't shoot ten billion rounds in their lifetime and never send one off accidentally.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Idiot.

I also check every time I touch my gun.
    And if I have to pull the trigger to field strip it then I check it at least twice and point it in a safe direction before pulling the trigger.

I thought that was in "Gun Handling 101 - The common sense lessons".

+1
    There are only 2 rules for safety

1 there is "NO SUCH THING AS AN UNLOADED GUN"
    2 "NEVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANY THING YOU DON'T WANT TO SHOOT."

If you follow those two allways, you can't get into trouble.

Open the action and look, It only takes a second.

I always clear my weapon, and go where there is no ammo any where near by, then double check it before I start disassembly to clean it.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Leave the action open on any firearm not in use until you're ready to store it. It's easy, provides peace of mind, and can save lives.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I always keep mine loaded. I know its loaded, and so does any one who knows me. If I hand you a weapon I will clear it and open the action before I let it out of my posession. When I get it back I will load and holster it. It is not a toy to play with.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I had a pt (patient) last year who was shot in her leg by her son accidentally. It was a 9mm and a modern Hollow Point bullet. Fortunately it didn't expand and it was just a through and through.

Dave

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    One more reasson WHY Firearms Safety SHOULD be part of a HS Curriculum even at a BASIC level ................, we waste time teaching them other things they will NEVER use why not give them something they probably WILL

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    not the gun's fault one bit. it's the handler's. when working with any tool, you have to know how to properly handle it. when handling a gun I always TRIPLE check that the chamber is empty and the mag is out. I teach my kids that as well.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I agree! With a Bersa, all that needs to be done is a lever turn downward, then the slide slides right off. No senseless trigger pulling necessary!

You mean you don't even have to unload it first???
    110ewyw.jpg

(;)Just kidding, Dave!!)

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS..... This guy clearly made an idiotic mistake, and "mom" paid the price for it. A one-second brainfart can affect someone else for the rest of their lives- or flat-out END IT.
    disgust.gif

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've never had to do this with my Glocks. Don't rack the slide, and you don't have to pull the trigger to take it down.

I can't remember a single time I didn't need to pull the trigger to disassemble. What scenario would result in the gun unloaded without racking the slide at some point?

Doesn't matter anyway, pulling the trigger to disassemble isn't the problem. How hard is it to rack the slide a few times and verify that the chamber is clear? It's gun safety 101, and applies to ALL guns.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It's not a gun issue. It's an issue with not following the four safety rules. IF he would have followed them, nobody would have got hurt. IMO, Guate_Shooter is absolutely right, they should drive this stuff into peoples heads as part of the high school curriculum. There should be some type of class that includes firearm safety. They don't even have to shoot guns or anything, but cover some basic rules.

Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    yep, when cleaning I don't think i have ever racked a slide just once... i have to give it the old rack-rack-rack-rack routine or i just don't feel good about it

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Watching the 6000 videos ( U Tube ) about disassembling a Glock I have never seen the trigger not have to be pulled to remove the slide...this is going to be a learning experience for me

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I can't remember a single time I didn't need to pull the trigger to disassemble. What scenario would result in the gun unloaded without racking the slide at some point?

Doesn't matter anyway, pulling the trigger to disassemble isn't the problem. How hard is it to rack the slide a few times and verify that the chamber is clear? It's gun safety 101, and applies to ALL guns.

You are correct that when the weapon leaves the range/wherever it was last fired, the trigger must first be pulled before the slide comes off. I just presumed that this was a given. Specifically, taking the weapon down after that does not require another pull of the trigger.

Nothing at all is wrong with having to check the chamber. You should.

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    That's a shame. At least she survived huh? Not that that's consolation, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
    Not familiar with Glocks but, I assume it was a 9mm. Not that that matters either.
    A lot of accidental shootings with Glocks? I wonder if they'll end up being sued and blamed for the disassemlble procedure. You know the thought process these days.

I know of an older gentleman that "ACCIDENTALLY" shot and killed his wife while cleaning a gun at the kitchen table when he was younger. Don't know what kind of gun that was.

DON'T CLEAN GUNS AT THE KITCHEN TABLE!

Top Bottom