Manual transmissions getting rarer in the US

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    While I believe everyone should know how to drive a standard, I got enough of that shifting/clutch-stomping crap when I was a kid. Automatic for this guy. :dogkeke:

AMEN, I have been driving since 1957 and the first 13 years were with manual transmissions and most of them did not have A/C.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    ???

Kbb lists the '14 and '15 cars that are over 40mpg - its 17 models. the list for 30mpg-40mpg is an additional 20.

(i couldnt care less what the mpg is honestly, but I know its a major deal to some people... separate rant)

Simply put: technology wins. autos trump manual for anything but backyard mechanics repairing dying vehicles. welcome to the future.

I see your point, I just don't like to see my money tied up in my transportation. But for the record, I am well beyond a backyard mechanic (although there is no shame in that) and no vehicle I own is dying.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I see your point, I just don't like to see my money tied up in my transportation. But for the record, I am well beyond a backyard mechanic (although there is no shame in that) and no vehicle I own is dying.

didnt mean that as an insult! I've restored a few classics and have some "just for fun" cars as well. Only meant that newer technology is deterring "DIY" mechanics - which was probably the correct way to put what I was thinking.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    I learned to drive with a stick. My first truck had a three on the tree ('65 F-100, 300 straight six). most of my vehicles since have been manual.

But, a knee injury on a rainy day makes driving a stick an absolute miserable experience for me these days.

It's okay though. I have my bike for when I feel like "driving" instead of "operating".

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    If you want a car that will almost never get stolen, Buy a stick. Most of the younger generation has no idea what that pedal on the left is for. A three on the tree, now that takes skill !!

Ha! Done the tree before. That would never get stolen. My first car had a 4 on the floor.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I drove a friend's manual for the first time in my life last month, because one of the jobs I was applying for required me to be able to drive a stick. It took me about 30 minutes to get the hang of going forward and stopping without stalling the engine. Far from my finest moment in life.

Even if I could learn how to drive one proficiently, I think the ability to eat my Slim Jim and Subway while cruising down the highway outweighs the mechanical advantages.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Even if I could learn how to drive one proficiently, I think the ability to eat my Slim Jim and Subway while cruising down the highway outweighs the mechanical advantages.

You can do that in a stick, driving down the highway is really no different that an automatic. Even in traffic, it becomes second nature. Back when I smoked, I could roll a bugler and drive.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    I am in Brussels, and every taxi I have been in is a standard. Even the minivans, including Mercedes. I get it in a sports car, but a taxi? Go figure.

Cost of manufacture is cheaper, and everyone in Europe knows how to drive a stick. I've been to Germany, Austria, and Ireland, and in all these countries, stick is king, auto is very rare. Cost and hills make them popular.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have had 30 or so vehicles, 3 were automatics. 6 in the drive way now and 1 is automatic and it is the wife's.
    It is depressing to be hunting a specific car and find 10 autos for every stick. The last 3 specific cars I sought out, I had this problem.
    If you have a sports car that is an automatic and you are not disabled, hand your balls back to the woman you borrowed the car from!
    I have had a knee injury, swapped vehicles with the wife for a few weeks.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Was at a Nissan dealership the other day waiting for my truck to be serviced. So I was walking around looking at the new stuff. I was quite surprised to see as many manual exteras and frontiers as I did. And not just in the base trim either.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    I believe this is only for normal cars. Look at the new Corvette , the track numbers it puts down ans the power to. With a Manuel u can achieve close to 30. Same with the Ls1 based vehicals. However take a look at a few foreign sports cars and they guzzle gas while just being on par with the vettes. If I'm not mistaken the Manuel tranny is only disappearing over here. I think in Scotland u have to have a handicap to drive an automatic. Also look at the eco models of compacts. The Manuel Cruze and Jetta get better mpg than there counter parts. But for me I'm thinking of moving over to an auto. I love a Manuel but every time I drive it I'm stuck in traffic. Plus the wife destroys my clutch

Ton

bang bang
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 19, 2006
    New Orleans
    I enjoy driving manuals. When I got rid of the 350z for a econo car, I had to get another stick since the low powered econo car(honda fit) is pretty boring to drive. The manual makes it more interesting to drive.

And those who complain about driving manual in stop and go traffic, I used to own a 240sx that was built, it had 4 puck unsprung disc. Not to mention it had a 9lb flywheel lol. That sucker was on or off. Lol It was pretty fun during rush hour traffic lol

When I traveled to Vietnam, the majority of vehicles were manuals. Easy/cheap to maintain.

I wonder if drop in % was just for the American market.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Manaul transmission vehicle generally get better mileage and make more power because the parasitic power loss with an automatic is much higher than a manual. If your engine makes 500hp&500ft/lb, and your 4l80 reduces that power by 30%, you will be dominated in all categories by the guy running a t56 because he is getting a lot more power to the ground and getting much better mileage while doing it. Of course that assumes he can actually drive the 6 speed properly. The only times autos are favorable in racing is when they can shift faster than a human while not robbing a ton of power.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I don't believe anyone here or with any mechanical knowledge is bashing newer auto technology. What I feel compelled to post about is that a lot of drivers that have automatics tend to be more likely to do everything other than what is more important while operating a vehicle which is driving.

I enjoy driving a manual transmission and have driven autos before. You definitely are required to focus more on driving when driving a manual. That is true for most people that is. I have seen people drive manual cars text, smoke, and eat at the same time. Yes, all three at the same time while shifting between puffs, bites, and texting.

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I drove manual tran pickups for 35 years, but the traffic in BR just made it impossible to stand anymore. I was wearing out clutch master cylinders from all the stop and go. I almost still have to strap my right hand down now though.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I learned to drive in my dad's work car, 1953 Chevy with a 3 on the tree. Have owned both automatics and manuals, I much prefer manual transmissions - they're just fun. Automatics kind of remind me of the Infiniti commercial where a guy is distracted and the car automatically stops to avoid a collision, then the commercial says the collision avoidance system allows you to concentrate on driving. Excuse me? Paying attention to the road and stopping to avoid a collision is driving, not distraction on your cell phone or playing with your satellite radio. Expect to see a sharp drop in actual driving skills.

And yes, my GMC truck is an automatic, but I would honestly prefer a manual. But I do get my kicks with my Demon though. Below is a picture of it and a video my daughter took while riding in it Labor Day weekend.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Automatics kind of remind me of the Infiniti commercial where a guy is distracted and the car automatically stops to avoid a collision, then the commercial says the collision avoidance system allows you to concentrate on driving. Excuse me? Paying attention to the road and stopping to avoid a collision is driving, not distraction on your cell phone or playing with your satellite radio. Expect to see a sharp drop in actual driving skills.

I think I saw that commercial. The guy changes lanes, the car beeps and he says "I didn't see him", then he almost rear ends a car and says "That was close". This was all in the same trip. I said to my wife "this guy doesn't need to be on the road". You are right, people's driving skills will slowly degrade, then there will be a push for vehicles that drive themselves because they are safer, and you won't be able to drive your car unless it is on a track, because it is unsafe. Welcome to the future.

Top Bottom