Mardi Gras CC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    Same parade rules apply I assume? But how close do you have to be to the actual route to be held to the rules. Or is this all up to the arresting officer's and, eventually, the judge's discretion?

If I can't carry I won't be there.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    A local dimwit once said:
    The Louisiana concealed handgun "restricted carry" regulations clearly say you cannot carry in a parade.

I'm not surprised to hear that New Orleans cops would apply their own interpretation to the word "in." After all, Bill Clinton had his own definition of the word "is." Hopefully we don't need an Attorbey General's opinion on this one, too.

As is noted below, its pretty simple. We can't carry in the State Capitol, or in a church, or in a polling place, or in a bar, et al. But we can carry at the state capitol, and can carry at a church and can carry at a bar.

I don't attend parades in New Orleans (something about going to stupid places with stupid people), but if I did I would carry at least one handgun -- and probably two.

No concealed handgun permit issued pursuant hereto shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    1. a law enforcement office, station, or building;
    2. a detention facility, prison, or jail;
    3. a courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    4. a polling place;
    5. a meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    6. the state capitol building;
    7. any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    8. any church, synagogue, mosque or other similar place of worship;
    9. a parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    10. any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter I or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises;
    11. any school "firearm-free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6;
    12. any private residence of another person, unless the permittee first receives the permission of that person; and
    13. any other property or premises where access by those possessing a concealed handgun is restricted by the property owner, lessee or lawful custodian.

:)

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I've gotten many different answers from many different LEO's on the interpretation of the law as it's written. Some say it only applies to being IN the parade. Some told me it applies to anyone attending the parade as well. And to confuse things more, I've gotten several different answers to how close you can be to the parade route to be considered AT the parade. One told me you had to be actually ON the parade route, another said that if you were to even cross the parade route enroute to your ultimate destination, that counts as well. I think, at best, it pretty much comes down to "roll the dice and take your chances".

I was carrying last night where I was (working late), and I needed to walk down several blocks on a parade route to get to my destination. NOPD everywhere, and I can honestly say that I was a little nervous, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Edit to add: I'm not so much worried about something happening while at a parade. There are a ton of NOPD, State Troopers, STSO, JPSO, etc there. I am, however, worried about what may happen while traveling to and from the parade route.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Edit to add: I'm not so much worried about something happening while at a parade. There are a ton of NOPD, State Troopers, STSO, JPSO, etc there. I am, however, worried about what may happen while traveling to and from the parade route.

I have someone open fire 15' from me at a parade about 3/4 years ago in front of Copeland's cheesecake bistro. The guy then ran into me and my wife right before being tackled by 3 undercover officers.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    concealed means concealed. With that said, I wouldn't intentionally go to a parade while carrying, therefore I wouldn't go to the parade

I am not a lawyer and the above is not intended to be legal advise

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Damnit.....will someone just get arrested and get a case involving this on the books so I can print it off Westlaw and have it for future reference ;)

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Save yourself the trouble and confusion and just open carry. :chuckles:

I fixed it ;)

Better yet, how about an AR in a drop leg holster: :p

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkoyCgxqojI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkoyCgxqojI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    yeah...at the parade isn't such a problem for me...it's everything before and after the parade...and I no longer leave any firearms in the car unless it is completely unavoidable.

I guess I just won't go to any more parades. I never really liked them anyway. I got dragged to this one by the wife and sister-in-law

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Carrying laws of Louisiana are unnecessarily restricted compared to Michigan but some common sense must be aplied. For instance, in Michigan one can go to a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as food is their primary business. Well, some people choose to sit at the bar; some will sit with others who are drinking. I think it wise to avoid the bar and do not sit with others who are drinking.

In MI one cannot carry at public events with 2,500 persons or more. To me that would include parades, though I'm sure pistols are present at the various cities' July Fourth firework displays.

We can also carry at universities but they are NOT allowed inside ANY of the university buildings. However, when there is much going on at the university it probably isn't prudent to be caught carrying in the quadrangle at University of Michigan.

I think we all can (or should) understand the INTENT or SPIRIT of the law and obey until we effectively change the law as written.

Top Bottom