Marijuana possession shouldn't carry a 20-year prison term: Editorial-- TP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I'm all for legalizing it. The prison systems are over crowded with "criminals". I've seen cases that people have a worse prison sentence for selling weed than for some guy that intentionally killed his girlfriend. That makes no sense at all. You punish someone for selling a plant that causes no harm but give the guy that killed someone a lesser sentence.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well...I hate to be the bearer of bad news- but LA would most likely still lead the way in prisoners per capita- regardless of whether we eased the penalties on marijuana, or not. We have a steady enough supply of rotten as hell $hitbags here to assure us of keeping that ugly crown.

I don't have a horse in this weed race- it won't change what I do everyday, one way or the other. But implying that legalizing pot will be some sort of cure-all to LA's "prison problem" is kind of lame. Unless The Pot Of Tomorrow strengthens morals, causes personal responsibility, and builds basic family structure (among other things), legalizing it won't do squat to improve that situation.

Sorry. :dunno:

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Well...I hate to be the bearer of bad news- but LA would most likely still lead the way in prisoners per capita- regardless of whether we eased the penalties on marijuana, or not. We have a steady enough supply of rotten as hell $hitbags here to assure us of keeping that ugly crown.

I don't have a horse in this weed race- it won't change what I do everyday, one way or the other. But implying that legalizing pot will be some sort of cure-all to LA's "prison problem" is kind of lame. Unless The Pot Of Tomorrow strengthens morals, causes personal responsibility, and builds basic family structure (among other things), legalizing it won't do squat to improve that situation.

Sorry. :dunno:

Of course it goes well beyond pot, pot smokers just happen to be the favorite victims of the private prisons currently because they are numerous and easier to handle than violent offenders. If marijuana is legalized I'm sure they try to target a different class of "criminals" to profit on. The underlying problems run in our criminal justice system in general and society as a whole, particularly by perverting free-market capitalism into corporatism and having a system that allows politicians to be bought and paid for so easily.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    The type of mentality that killed this bill is the reason so many of La.'s most successful and brightest children have moved away from their home state and only come back for funerals.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Y'all are making some silly accusations. Weed is not supporting jails or making people move away. Come on guys, that prison employs people that build it and staff it. Sounds like jobs to me.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The type of mentality that killed this bill is the reason so many of La.'s most successful and brightest children have moved away from their home state and only come back for funerals.

:dogkeke: Serious?

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Prisons in this state are like hotels, they need full occupancy to get the max funding. So until they change that, nothing changes. Instead of making pot legal they should make cigarettes illegal. Can't stand the stank of all the smokers at the front of buildings huddled up.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Prisons in this state are like hotels, they need full occupancy to get the max funding. So until they change that, nothing changes. Instead of making pot legal they should make cigarettes illegal. Can't stand the stank of all the smokers at the front of buildings huddled up.

Shhh! It's way to early to get Emp cranked up........

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I think it's interesting that we always hear the pro-weed crowd talk about the "health benefits" offered by marijuana- and almost never hear ANYTHING regarding the potential health risks from using it. :)

Remember- people used to believe tobacco cigarettes were safe, too. Time will tell, I guess.... ;)

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    smoking anything, especially unfiltered marijuana, is quite harmful to your lungs. But if we are going to let cigarettes kill people, alcohol kill people, then why not let them smoke marijuana until they got cancer too.

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    Living in most parts of La. is way more detrimental to ones health than pot could ever be. Well I guess maybe if a 1 ton bail fell on you.

And no where did I say that pot was making people leave. It's the slopeheaded thinking that runs rampant through far too much this state.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yep, maybe so. I still won't use it- legal or not. I would agree that if it's legal, it's their choice. I just have to laugh when I hear some of the pie-in-the-sky claims being made about how great things would be if we'd only legalize marijuana....More jobs & prosperity!! :rofl: :dogkeke:

Anyway....So here's a question: Can we expect future lawsuits against the MJ industry in WA & CO, just like those against "Big Tobacco"? I believe it will happen. Just my .02....

Top Bottom