Marines; Sighting in Rifles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    A former Marine told me that in boot camp, they sight in using feet, not yards or meters. I challenged him on this because I've never heard of anyone using feet to sight in. Can someone clarify this for me?

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    A former Marine told me that in boot camp, they sight in using feet, not yards or meters. I challenged him on this because I've never heard of anyone using feet to sight in. Can someone clarify this for me?
    If this former Marine is in his late 60s or older, his info may in fact be correct for his period of service. I'm not sure exactly when the US armed forces began measuring in metric, but I'm reasonably sure it was sometime between WWII and Vietnam.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I can't really remember sighting-in in Boot Camp at Edson Range but do remember getting my rifle data book, writing BRASS/call with a dot/plot with a number on every page. Putting the rifle to mechanical zero before firing. Marking the rear sight (M16A1) with fingernail polish after 200yd zero was obtained, I think I shot KD yards. Shooting a 245 on prequal day and barely shooting expert on qual day.
    In Army basic training in 82 with Hydramatic M16A1 we shot 25m target for zero, grid was clicks, 25m almost same as 200m. All shooting 55gr bullet. You can probably download the target on line.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    This former Marine is 40 years old. I think he just really forgot the facts on this one because, he did state the 25yd/200yd sight in guideline but, he did so in feet.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    If this former Marine is in his late 60s or older, his info may in fact be correct for his period of service. I'm not sure exactly when the US armed forces began measuring in metric, but I'm reasonably sure it was sometime between WWII and Vietnam.

When I shot the kd range at ROTC Camp Ft. Hood 1960, we shot at metric distances, 100, 200, 300, and 500 meters.

You could see the old yard firing positions but they were overgrown.

We also shot those distances when I was there on active duty a couple of years later.

Sometimes you have to take veterans' accounts with a grain of salt.
    :eh:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom