Marksmanship tips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Ok, trying to build a list of marksmanship tips. Contribute yours here. These are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head- I'm sure I'll think of more later. I am no trainer or competitor, just some dude who takes learning about shooting seriously, so forgive me if I do not state something perfectly.

• Do not snatch, yank, or otherwise manhandle your trigger. Pull it directly to the rear with the pad of the end of your index finger in a smooth orderly fashion. This may possibly contribute more to your chances of hitting where you aim than anything else.
    • When shooting a rifle from a standing position, tighten your sling around your body so that it assists in stabilizing your rifle.
    • Find a footing that is natural and comfortable to you, and lean slightly into the shot, so that the recoil is absorbed by as much of your body as possible.
    • Grip more with your weak hand when shooting a pistol with two hands- the more tense your shooting hand is- the harder it will be for your trigger finger to be relaxed enough to accomplish a smooth pull.
    • Do everything you can not to expect your trigger break. It should be a surprise each time. If you anticipate the moment of recoil, you are more likely to snatch your muzzle off target at the last moment.
    • Front sight, front sight, front sight! When using fixed sights, your world should revolve around the placement of your front sight, with your target superimposed on your point of focus. Your precision is directly relative to just how aware you are of the position of your front sight.
    • You cannot prevent recoil- don't try. Your grip should be such that you rapidly get your weapon back on target- not a death grip that tries to prevent it from coming off the target in the first place.
    • Do not try to release the trigger as fast as you can after the shot breaks. You should only let the trigger come back forward far enough to reset the action, and not keep bringing your finger forward until it has lost contact with your trigger.
    • Do not underestimate the need for proper trigger manipulation on your rifle. The skills you use for accurate handgun shots should carry over to your long gun shots.
    • People debate this one, but keep your elbows down when shooting off hand with your rifle. You want to use your skeletal structure rather than your muscles as much as possible to support your firing position.
    • Overall, you want your entire body as relaxed as possible. The tenser you are, the more you will tend to shake or quiver. This become more true the longer you hold a firing position.
    • When firing a pistol with two hands, keep as much of your hands/palms as you can in contact with the weapon. Spread your grip out across your hands so that your grip is more even/steady, rather than letting only small areas of your hands do all the work. Again, remember to grip more with your weak hand.
    • If you can make or acquire them, load a snap cap/dummy round in your magazine at random intervals (have a friend load your magazine for you if necessary, so they can 'hide' the dummy where you won't expect it). Besides the tactical clearance drill practice- this will give you a chance to see if/where/how you are snatching the weapon as a result of expecting recoil. It is human nature to expect and account for recoil, so most of us will never eliminate it, but it is something you should focus on minimizing.
    • You will never be able to hold your weapon perfectly still- forget about trying. Even world class shooters do not hold their weapons perfectly still, though some have gotten it down pat so well that their main obstacle is simply their heartbeat. Learn to manage your weapon's movement by allowing it to move in an ever-smaller circle or sideway figure eight pattern, and learn to take the shot at the right moment in that travel. Taking a shot between an exhalation and an inhalation helps many with this.
    • Dry fire! It is not as sexy as sending lead downrange, but your live fire should only show you how your dry fire practice is coming along. This is where the rubber meets the road. No one wins any competitions without spending the bulk of their practice time with an unloaded weapon.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Proper
    Stance, Grip, Sight alignment, Sight picture, Breath control, Trigger squeeze, Follow through. Right Mental Attitude.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    "Front sight, front sight, front sight! When using fixed sights, your world should revolve around the placement of your front sight, with your target superimposed on your point of focus. Your precision is directly relative to just how aware you are of the position of your front sight."

The use of the front sight is important, however, you should also be able to shoot well centered hits from retention. Your front sight is not visible, or your pistol for that matter, but getting the hits from 0-7 yards,with out sights,should be part of your cqb training as well. (CL)

Find a footing that is natural and comfortable to you, and lean slightly into the shot, so that the recoil is absorbed by as much of your body as possible."

Practice shooting while moving, and using cover. The "square range" approach is fun but remember,you may have to shoot from an unconventional position. Ever shoot from the only available cover of a street curb? (CL)

" Do everything you can not to expect your trigger break. It should be a surprise each time. If you anticipate the moment of recoil, you are more likely to snatch your muzzle off target at the last moment. "

I don't agree with this idea for two reasons. First, you should know exactly when your weapon is about to fire. Flinch is something you learn to overcome in the very beginning. The second reason is directly related to the first,control your trigger. If you are in control of your trigger, you will know when everything is in place for the shot to be delivered. The trigger pull may be started,conditions may not be perfect, but you hold what you have. If you let off and restart a pull again, you now have to pull through what was once gained. With a single action the resistance is minimal, with a revolver or DA/DAO/Safe action, trigger control requires more strength to "hold". I have watched shooters "chase holes" in a target while on the clock. They were watching the target, not verifing the sights were in place when the pull was complete. (CL)

Also, train with no and low light shooting techniques. Reloading is more difficult with a flashlight in your weak hand. There is no one perfect light or technique. Practice with a light so you can manipulate the pistol with the weak hand holding the light. Gun mounted lights are popular, lights can fail also, a backup may be needed as well that won't mount to the weapon.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I don't agree with this idea for two reasons. First, you should know exactly when your weapon is about to fire. Flinch is something you learn to overcome in the very beginning. The second reason is directly related to the first,control your trigger. If you are in control of your trigger, you will know when everything is in place for the shot to be delivered. The trigger pull may be started,conditions may not be perfect, but you hold what you have. If you let off and restart a pull again, you now have to pull through what was once gained. With a single action the resistance is minimal, with a revolver or DA/DAO/Safe action, trigger control requires more strength to "hold". I have watched shooters "chase holes" in a target while on the clock. They were watching the target, not verifing the sights were in place when the pull was complete.

That is why I posted it here. Everyone I have trained with (like Joe) has taught what I posted, but it is good to get another perpective. If I publish this to the net I will try to provide your alternate perspective as well, some how. You are not the first person I have run across who feels this way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    I don't believe in the possibility that defensive shooting happens when conditions are perfect. Training to shoot from unnatural positions and stances is better than always shooting from a squared up, toes pointed at the target, thumbs forward etc.stance.This is a good foundation to build on, but don't limit your skills to "conventional" everybody says this do this style.

Also,threat identification is critical. If you are fixed constantly on your front sight, you can't i.d. your possible threat. I have seen shooters drill a non-threat target,after being told this is a no shoot.This happens because tunnell vision sets in and not being prepaired to apply what you have been taught,or worse,what you don't know in the first place in a controlled stresssful situation.Using stencils on your targets(guns,knives,open hands,) will force you to look at the "threat". This person may seem to be drawing a weapon, but it could possibly be a wallet,keys,or badge!! There is no one thing covers all style. Talk to and practice with as many different people as possible. You will be amazed at what you can learn.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    [*]Do everything you can not to expect your trigger break. It should be a surprise each time. If you anticipate the moment of recoil, you are more likely to snatch your muzzle off target at the last moment.

I also disagree with this, as do the Army Marksmanship Unit members and coaches that I know (mostly service rifle and pistol shooters). Trigger control means breaking the trigger when you want it to break. In order to do that, it cannot be a surprise.

Dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    I'm not knocking your training. I simply contributed a couple of different ideas to share. If you would like to use an idea I have shared,please feel free to do so. If you don't agree with any of the methods I use,that's fine too. These are a few things I have learned over the years. I am not a trainer, nor an armchair commando,but I have had the opportunity to practice with more serious shooters than I could possibly remember.

I do like to help other shooters that care to listen. I don't go around preaching "do this not that". If someone asks me for help, or wants to know why I did this or that I am always willing to help a fellow shooter. Some people spend thousands of dollars to go to schools and seminars. I don't always agree with what is being taught. If I am paying the bill, I choose where I go to learn from. If I can help a shooter improve because they asked, I am always willing to pass along what I have learned. Free of charge.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I hear ya. The times you and I have spoke it seemed like we had very similar attitudes about these kinds of things.

Does your new work schedule allow you more time to go shooting? What about this Sat. afternoon?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom