Martial Arts Weapons in Zombie Apocalypse

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I enjoy seeing seeing different people's view on survival/preparedness, and often view different threads. There is something I keep seeing, as a theme, in a lot of people's gear. Martial Arts weaponary.

I want to know, hypothetically speaking, if a zombie apocalypse/TEOTWAWKI situation went down:

1) How many of you would use martial arts weaponary?

2) Who actually has experience with marts arts weaponary (actually trained, not just watching old Bruce Lee movies and copying his moves for hours)?

3) Which weapons are you skilled in (truly skilled, not just getting used to the feal and watching youtube videos)?

If you don't have experience or training, that's ok. What would you use?

Make this fun but let's keep it on target. Please no one start their own virtual arguments to try to prove they are the Most Alpha of i-intellectual tough guy alpa-males.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I enjoy seeing seeing different people's view on survival/preparedness, and often view different threads. There is something I keep seeing, as a theme, in a lot of people's gear. Martial Arts weaponary.

I want to know, hypothetically speaking, if a zombie apocalypse/TEOTWAWKI situation went down:

1) How many of you would use martial arts weaponary?

2) Who actually has experience with marts arts weaponary (actually trained, not just watching old Bruce Lee movies and copying his moves for hours)?

3) Which weapons are you skilled in (truly skilled, not just getting used to the feal and watching youtube videos)?

If you don't have experience or training, that's ok. What would you use?

Make this fun but let's keep it on target. Please no one start their own virtual arguments to try to prove they are the Most Alpha of i-intellectual tough guy alpa-males.

I have no intention of using any... nor do I think there will be one.

I trained for a few years... I can't use a chain or 3 section staff well.
    Nunchucks, bo, decent with a sword (I also fenced) etc

I will use my Glock.

Interestingly enough, the Mace was of great use on the Middle ages battlefield. A bladed weapon could get stuck in armor, bone or meat... whereas the mace would 'rebound' and set you up for your next strike.

The old baseball bat might be of more use than you think!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If we're down to using martial arts weapons then things are truly sucking!

I have a moison with the 24" (or whatever that thing is!) skewer, plus a bowie bayonet for my enfield. I have an axe and a machette also... but I'd revert to my recurve long before going to one of those!

ahamay79

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    New Roads
    One of my Mosins and 2400 rds of ammo. I'm good. As far as the MA weapon, I'd use a sword as a skewer for the camp fire. :draw:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    If we're down to using martial arts weapons then things are truly sucking!

I have a moison with the 24" (or whatever that thing is!) skewer, plus a bowie bayonet for my enfield. I have an axe and a machette also... but I'd revert to my recurve long before going to one of those!

My thoughts exactly.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I'm pretty good with a set of nunchucks, but I highly doubt if a zombie apocalypse came to fruition that I would survive long using them. Depends if they're those slow retard zombies or super fast zombies :screwy: here's to hoping I have enough time and components to keep the reloads coming when my stash runs out.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm trained in Bo/Staff, Escrima and Knife. I've had a very little bit of teaching on Sword and Nunchaku, but not enough for me to brave the unknown swinging a Katana. Especially, if Zombies are attacking. I'd rather a UMP and a Lightsaber if it was CQC with the undead.

Real Life: I'd rather not get in any knife fight. You always expect to get cut. I don't like that feeling. I also don't want to miss any limbs or appendages.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Real Life: I'd rather not get in any knife fight. You always expect to get cut. I don't like that feeling. I also don't want to miss any limbs or appendages.

It's interesting, even though the chances of survival are much higher, most people have a greater fear of being attacked with a knife than a gun (myself included). Partially because the wounds are more dramatic in appearance, but mostly because we've all been cut at some point in our lives where very few of us have been shot. Psychologically it's easier for our brains to fear that which we've experienced than something that is only "theoretical" in our mind.

[/random thought]

Back on topic...I haven't touched a nunchuck since I was a kid pretending to be a Ninja Turtle. I'll stick with my guns.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you're in melee with a zombie, you've already lost.

There is no hand-to-hand combat with zombies, there is only foot-to-ground, beating feet, if it's come down to melee.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It's interesting, even though the chances of survival are much higher, most people have a greater fear of being attacked with a knife than a gun (myself included). Partially because the wounds are more dramatic in appearance, but mostly because we've all been cut at some point in our lives where very few of us have been shot. Psychologically it's easier for our brains to fear that which we've experienced than something that is only "theoretical" in our mind.

That's probably why there are so many tough guys around. A lot of guys are the badest thing you have ever heard of, especially on the internet... Spawn of Chuck Norris.

Back on topic...I haven't touched a nunchuck since I was a kid pretending to be a Ninja Turtle. I'll stick with my guns.

LOL!! That's what got me into Martial Arts. I wanted to be a Ninja Turtle.

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    I have a machete and want one of those fancy tomahawks before the sthf. I have zero training outside of using the machete on snakes and overgrown weeds that find their way across the fence from the unkept lot behind me. So I suppose if the zombies are ninja assassins, I'm pretty much screwed. However, if they are walking dead style clumsy slow undead creeps, I know how to use the sharp side on anything that manages to evade the 11-87 and the 1911.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I used to teach a sword class and got to be pretty good with them, but under no circumstances would I carry a sword with me or consider using one to defend myself with. The closest thing that I might carry on my person to a martial arts weapon would be an extendable baton (asp) which could be used for less than lethal encounters, but even then, a gun would be my primary means of self defense or offence if needed. Getting in fights with people sucks. Getting hit sucks. Getting cut sucks. I in no way would want to come close to another person who is aggressive.

I know a few people who might consider carrying a sword and even engaging in a sword fight just to prove themselves. If someone is coming at me with a sword and I have a random sword on me, I would still shoot them before they got close.

So, no, I would not use martial arts style weapons (read: toys) in any real world scenario. I don't want to get into a fight. Any confrontation would need to be ended quickly and efficiently with as much force as possible to keep myself and those close from being put into harms way.

Nowwwwww for random fun hypothetical time:

If I ran out of bullets and all I had was a sword with NOTHING else (no knife, baton, slingshot, nothing) and I somehow got into a fight with someone, I would definitely try my luck with the sword. I would also wrap a bandanna around my head and try to look like a mix between Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I think in a truly desperate situation, a machete would be much more valuable than a katana. Katanas were extremely well-maintained, hard, brittle pieces of "exotic" weaponry - reserved for the elite few who could afford it. Start trying to cut tree bark and you'd find yourself with a much shorter pointy stick.

Machete's, on the other hand - nothing fancy. Just hack, slash, chop, pry, and crush. So much more useful.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm going redneck with this, Been using one for years'.

Attachments

• briar hook.jpg
      briar hook.jpg
      15.1 KB · Views: 106
    Top Bottom