Mathews Z7 (which one)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I was going to buy a Monster XLR8 late last year, but my cousin talked me out of it. I don't see him often, but evidently he is sponsored by Mathews and shoots regularly and yous their products exclusively in competition and hunts. He recommended the Z7 and I don't talk to him often enough to ask the types of questions.

I've hard the Z7 is somewhat ackward for longer draw lengths. I'm at 29.5".

I've also heard the brace height is less forgiving on the Magnum.

I'd like to have the Magnum because of the slight increase in speed. I'll be shooting it at 70 lb. If for some reason the Extreme or Standard Z7 would be better I'd like to hear.

If I'm going to drop 1k+ on a new rig, I want to do it right.

Also, who would you buy from. I called and talked to the guy in Hammond and Bowie today. The guy in Hammond was 100 cheaper on the same bow. I travel from Houston to New Orleans frequently so if it's on I-10 or I-12 I can get there.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Can't speak for Mathews but plenty of people love their stuff. However, I have tried to sell my Hoyt Ultra Mag and have had no luck because it is 29.5" and 70 to 80 LB draw. Let me know if you're interested.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Can't speak for Mathews but plenty of people love their stuff. However, I have tried to sell my Hoyt Ultra Mag and have had no luck because it is 29.5" and 70 to 80 LB draw. Let me know if you're interested.

I shot a Hoyt Tenacity in high school. I loved the bow at the time. I haven't been able to fall in love with them again. I grew up shooting a Oneida Eagle all through elementary and middle school. I've consistently fell in love and wanted a Mathews and never owned it. I've shot them at various ranges and never been comfortable dropping the cash.

I wanted to wait for the tax free weekend, but I'm willing to sacrifice the 9-10% to get some time behind it before hunting season. I want to sling some arrows in the sticks this year.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Don't forget to consider PSE. They make some bad to the bone bows.:) And you got more than enough time to practice before season starts again. 2 months of practice every day and you should be dead on.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I shot a PSE Dream Season EVO. It's a nice bow, but I'm pretty stubborn about the Mathews this time. I've owned most of the others.

sgtwill8541

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    I thought PSE stood for Pull Shoot Explode? Just kidding, I used to work at a couple of bow shops back in Georgia and have shot every kinda bow they make. Don't just go by what your cousin says. I am sure he is a great shooter and I am not dogging anyones opinion but each person is built differently and has different likes and wants out of equipment. Go to a Mathews dealer and demo both bows. Get a real feel for them. Bring your release however because that makes a difference. Best of luck and put em in the center

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I've owned Oneida Eagle and Hoyt. The last boy I bought was a Hoyt Tenacity a decade or more ago. I'm pretty set this time on the Matthews. I think I'm going to make the trip to Louisiana Outdoors in Slidell since Bowie Outfitters won't touch their price.

ry_kj_an

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Give Jay a call at Advanced Hunting Systems in Opelousas.

Advanced Hunting Systems
    1432 Linwood Drive • Opelousas, LA 70570
    337-437-0936

He carries Matthews and Hoyt and is very knowledgeable. I don't know how their prices compare, but he's the guy you want to tune your bow. Set my buddy up with a custom string that he built and he gained about 25 fps.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I ended up buying a Z7 Extreme from Brad at Louisiana-Outdoors. He cut me a deal and I'm going to ride out and pick it up this week.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Shot a Z7 extreme yesterday at waddill wma and was not impressed at all.....a fair amount of hand shok be the reason for my sayin so....my 2009 bowtech general shot better @ 40 & 50 yrds and this guy had been shooting for years as i am new to this. I was glad to be able to shoot this guy's bow so i could see what all the hype is about.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I like the looks of the z7 but the price hurts me.. hoyt was nice but I didnt like the feel, but I like the idea of it being tested by dry firing.. that is foreign to me..

I may end up getting one to extend the hunting season.. I am still debating..

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I like the looks of the z7 but the price hurts me.. hoyt was nice but I didnt like the feel, but I like the idea of it being tested by dry firing.. that is foreign to me..

I may end up getting one to extend the hunting season.. I am still debating..

Check out the Bowtech's @ A-1 Archery....Talk to Mr Gene and he will fix you up...Very nice Christian people to work with over there!

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Shot a Z7 extreme yesterday at waddill wma and was not impressed at all.....a fair amount of hand shok be the reason for my sayin so....my 2009 bowtech general shot better @ 40 & 50 yrds and this guy had been shooting for years as i am new to this. I was glad to be able to shoot this guy's bow so i could see what all the hype is about.

That has not been my experience at all. I absolutely love my Z7. I competed heavily in archery and what was emerging to become 3D that is shot today.

I have shot and would not have even put the Bowtech in my top 5 choices. I guess that's why everyone has to try something different.

I can't stand the look of the new Hoyt's which is what I had traditionally shot. I liked the PSE Dream Season, but preferred the Matthews.

I can definitely say that I would recommend anybody in the marker for a Matthew drive to Pearl River and talk to the guys at Louisiana Outdoors. They went out of the way to make me the best deal possible and set everything up for me. Bowie wouldn't even come close to their price.

Top Bottom