May 26th Vanilla Gorilla's Introduction to Basic Gunshot Trauma Treatment and Pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Looks like this class had a couple last minute cancellations. There are 4 open spots. This is the last time we will be running a Mash-Up course like this. Get in while you still can.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Here is the list of BS members that are signed up and paid in full for the May 26th class if you have not received a PM from me with directions to the range please PM me so I can make sure you know where to go.

LNSvince x2 spots
    cheese
    kz45
    aard3
    mpl006
    manylo3

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    1st I have no idea why may avitar changed from the marine EGA to cheese

2nd to my knowledge there is no refrigerator or microwave at the range so plan on a cold lunch or leave it in the sun and it will warm up by noon.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    1st I have no idea why may avitar changed from the marine EGA to cheese

2nd to my knowledge there is no refrigerator or microwave at the range so plan on a cold lunch or leave it in the sun and it will warm up by noon.

If you're on your iPhone it does weird **** swapping images around sometimes. Clearing your Safari cookie and cache will fix it, for a while.

There is no microwave, but there is a Subway about 3 minutes from the range. It will definitely be hot enough to warm up a nice solar powered sandwich too. And on that note, bring plenty of water!

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ****Caveat! I'm not an operator, I'm not a police officer, nor do I have any prior military training. I'm just a private citizen who works at a engineering firm and likes to shoot. This is my recollections and observations from the class today.****

My first impression was of the range, and man, that place is nice. Golden Dragon has sunk lots of work and cash into making a first rate range. Hat's off to him, and thanks for hosting the class. My second impression was of the main instructor, Vanilla Gorilla. He taught the class in a very informal manner, sitting down on a shooting bench and talking about his experiences. There was no bombast or bragging, just "this is my experience and I'm presenting it for you to learn from it." I found his manner very approachable and he had a well thought out response to every question.

The first aid portion was almost too short - one of the dangers of splitting a class and covering two topics - however, I left the class knowing that I wouldn't be completely useless in a situation (god forbid that I should have to render aid to my family). We got to play with the items in his trauma kit, which helped me. The last first aid class I had was in JRTOC back in Leesville High School, almost 25 years ago (am I that old? ****.) I did unlearn some things I had been taught over the years, which is always a good thing.

Let me give my background with shooting - I've no formal training, just what I've picked up from more experienced friends and so on. And, boy, do I have a lot to unlearn. I preformed reasonably well at the couple of Amite IDPA matches I've been able to attend (for an untrained shooter). But Nate's first shooting drill showed that I have a metric **** ton of work to do to be a passable shooter. Lemme reiterate - I *thought* I was a good shooter. I rapidly realized that I was not and started to try to reteach myself.

Nate was very patient with me, as well as his assistant instructor. I got some point of aim issues dealt with, and my grip needs to be readjusted (I'm pulling shots to the left). We did a drill, trying to hit a 2" circle with four shots at about 5 yards. That drill highlighted my glaring deficiencies. :D The class ended with a drill where we had to engage a target from sitting, sprint 20 yards and back, sit back down, move to a barrel and engage two more targets. It was a good exercise in breathing management and stress management.

Top Bottom