Meeting with my state representative this week to discuss firearm legislation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on information, etc. I am trying, or at least thinking about, getting something like LC has going set up here in Mississippi. Gun laws here are pretty good, we got an F- on the Brady report card :D, but thinks could always be better.

I'm meeting with my state representative in the next couple of days, to suggest and discuss upcoming gun laws, and some suggestions I have for him, concerning gun rights and concealed carry permitting.

For a bit of background, he has for the past four years introduced bills to allow anyone legally allowed to own a handgun to carry it concealed or open without a permit. :D:D:D

While I am wholeheartedly in support of that, I don't see it happening any time soon.

In the meantime, I have some suggestions for him to update the permit process, and locations "off limits" while carrying a firearm.

Mainly, the Department of Public Safety isssues permits, and has by law 120 days to issue permits. I would like to see that reduced to 30 or at the most 60 days.

One also has to go to the nearest Highway Patrol district office to apply, which can be a long drive for some in rural areas. It would be nice to be able to apply at a local drivers license office, and just have HQ process the background check, etc. I don't think it can be done by mail, because when I applied in October they took my picture (I guess it will be on the permit to carry).

The other main issue I have, is that churches (and other places of worship) are off limits while carrying (by law). As we have recently seen, and I don't need to belabor, gun free zones=victim zones.

I plan to at least discuss briefly with him the issue of allowing carry on college campuses, which is forbidden by current law.

Any suggestions for particular talking points, or other issues to bring up with him, are more than welcome.

--Chad

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    thanks LC I am looking over the material you have. I am also going to ask about amending the law to remove or change the provisions about carrying on state and local government property, including city parks (??!!).

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The other main issue I have, is that churches (and other places of worship) are off limits while carrying (by law).
    --Chad

Due to the difference between church and state I don't think the government should have any say so over places of worship unless they are breaking the law. Just my thoughts

Keep us posted.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I don't think the .gov should have any say so in the lives of anyone, period, unless they are tangibly hurting someone else.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. – Thomas Jefferson

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    How about a mandatory continuing ed class (or whatever cops take to keep up w/ current laws) on reciprocity and a refresher on how CCW permits work. I don't know about MS but many local LA cops that I've talked to don't have a clue how that is supposed to work.
    Getting a carry law for schools passed will be difficult. A few states have teachers that are also LEO's or at least CCW's allowed to carry at school.
    A grant to pay cops at detail rate to teach high school gym/social studies/history/health/whatever... would be good for all involved. Health would probably be best, maybe show the kids how to handle major trauma and CPR situations. Let the kids interact w/ cops and see they're not all evil. Good for the LEO's also, kinda like a DARE program or officer friendly. And it certainly would be a more interesting detail than standing around at a bank for 8 hours.
    I'd certainly rather see my tax dollars go for this than what i'm getting now. Jeff parish showed up at my daughter's school and gave them the 'guns are bad' speech. I was not pleased....

Edit: Hey, how about funding for a local school .22 rifle league? I'm sure you could get NRA and CMP to help sponsor it.

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    I don't think the .gov should have any say so in the lives of anyone, period, unless they are tangibly hurting someone else.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. – Thomas Jefferson

big 10-4 on that, couldn't agree more.

I am planning on also talking to our police chief in the next couple of weeks to get his take on citizens carrying, etc. I don't have my permit yet, so of course I haven't been carrying, so don't know how run-ins with the locals go. Concealed means concealed...

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    well I met with him today, wow, it was better than I expected. as soon as we got to talking, and I told him I was concerned about firearm rights issues, he said "I personally think anybody that wants to own a bazooka or anything else should be able to, unless they show otherwise by their behavior!" I was like, WOW!!!

I told him my main concern at this time was allowing carry in churches, he didn't even realize it was illegal! (He was elected after our carry bill was passed). He told me to write up a one page statement about it, and he would get it worked into a bill and introduce it. I told him I wanted to be there at the committee hearing in Jackson when it came up.

We also talked about the issue of it taking 4 months to issue permits, and we discussed ideas to shorten it. He suggested amending the law to issue permits within 30 days unless there is a reason they need to do more research, and if there is a valid reason, they would have to notify the permit applicant in writing. <--- What do you think about that, do you think they would just notify EVERYONE that they need more time, to be able to be lazy about it? That thought occured to me this evening. If so how do you think I could approach that?

Thanks for the input guys.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Well, they have the process in place now.its not like they will be blind sided by some unknown glitch. I can't see why not a 30 day or at most 45 day time. Unless some agency is holding them up. Do they send prints to FBI ??.maybe that could be slow. Maybe make it (the CWP) good everywhere.
    THe school exeption or defense free zone is not a federal law anymore. Its state by state, like La just has not taken it out yet .As I understand. USC 18 allows school carry with CWP. But state law does not. That might swing some weight for U if I'm right

LC ??

L8r
    Dawg

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    Yrdawg: yeah they by statute have to send prints to the FBI, don't see how it's necessary unless they find something inconclusive in the NCIC (et al) checks.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I certainly don't think it should take anywhere near 4 months. Hell, my non-resident FL permit only took 9 weeks, iirc.

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    well that's why I'm trying to get it changed, I have the feeling they sit on their ass for three months then hurry up to get it done in the time limit in the law. I don't know if I'm going to get my Florida non-res or not once I get the MS one in, I don't think I would be able to carry in that many more states. Now if FL was accepted in California, DC, and Mass... :rofl:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    on the brighter side, I understand that the FBI print ck is the (or one of the )missing link as to whether a states permit can cut out fed ck when you buy a gun. That'd be pretty smooth here, no ck, flip out the state paper and go with your gun.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    One of the things I was going to talk to my legislator about is CCW renewals. It's really ridiculous to have to pay for and sit through another 4 hour "refresher" course just to get a renewal, especially when I am a competitive shooter and generally keep up with the laws moreso than most of the instructors. I'm going to see if he would introduce a bill to allow for "demonstrating participation is a shooting sport" as an alternate to taking a class.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom