Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    The "working class" is fed up.

I say take all of this out of the hands of government anyway, just look at Amtrak and the postal system.

Require churches to contribute to the well being of the poor. If they don't help, no tax exempt status.

I believe that this will encourage those than can work to get a job as they will be closely monitored and those that need assistance get what they need and no more.

There was a time when being on public assistance was insulting not a way of life.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I say take all of this out of the hands of government anyway, just look at Amtrak and the postal system.

Require churches to contribute to the well being of the poor. If they don't help, no tax exempt status.

a little contradictory? :doh: you know, churches do more than help the poor in their community, and there is NO way that all the slugs currently on welfare can be helped by all the churches combined, without going broke. Instead of just taxpayers supporting them, it will be only churches? I don't think your plan has much merit. I think we should shore up the evaluation process for recipients and limit the assistance to 24 months.

I think if you want to be on the take, you can at least show up somewhere and be in a pool. then as a taxpayer, I ought to be able to go by with a copy of my tax return and with X number credits for the taxes paid, check someone out like a library book to pull weeds in my flowerbeds!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

YES! It used to be the church's job, but the goverment yanked it away. Although I know many Church's that still do this regularly. However most I know, make them WORK for the money. Clean something, rake this yard, cut this grass, paint this etc.etc.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Im going to have to agree with charlie on this one. Before welfare and gov't assistance, the churches were the helping hand. They should not be forced to help though.

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have family in Michigan and my wife is from Pennsylvania. When we (those from the south) here the word welfare we think of generations of those who have been on the program. Welfare in many states is not the same as what we have here. I am not sure the exact programs, but in many cases if you are on unemployment in other states it's not just a sit on your butt and collect money program. In Pennsylvania if you were working and terminated at no fault of your own you might be entitled to certain types of educational benefits. The south (I know I am generally speaking here) has some of the most draining welfare and unemployment benefits. There needs to be something done to move these programs to help those who really need it. Give help to those who really want to be helped and get on with their lives and not to those who want to be comfortable living off of the state.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    YES! It used to be the church's job, but the goverment yanked it away.
    This is not your customary quality of post. I think you yanked the trigger a little. It's not anyone's job to help anyone else.

I agree with you that the gubmint yanked "it" away. Specifically, Johnson's great society programs substituted the federal government for community and church. This created a chasm between the payers and the takers that did not previously exist when the community gave to help people they knew. The providers lost traceability and the takers gained anonymity. Bureaucrats who cared only for the continuation of their jobs doled out money in ever increasing amounts and in an ever increasing array of programs. Recipients developed an entitlement mentality. Liberal lawmakers guarded the programs as a vote sources. So while it was never anyone's job to support anyone else, being supported became a job for generations of recipients, paying them became a job for generations of government workers and protecting them became the job ofgenerations of liberal lawmakers. And it became our burden to work at our jobs to pay for it. Glad to see someone turning it around a little. It's a start.

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    Well, let's face it, in todays political environment nothing will really happen because this is how a lot of votes are bought. Also there is a prevailing attitude that all men are created equal and we are going to be equal like it or not. We are rapidly approaching an era of why work for a living, what is the benefit of it as opposed to sitting on our butts.

http://www.wafb.com/story/15407670/restaurants-want-food-stamps

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    The current recipients will find a way to get onto the "exemption list" on way or another. How can these people say that they can't find jobs? There is plenty of grass to cut and plenty of dishes that need to be washed somewhere.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You can't just cut off welfare and still give the government the same amount of money. They will find some way to spend it.

Welfare should be cut off 100%, charity is not the responsibility of the Government. I am including the social security ponzi scheme and all types of medicare and medicaid in the 100% cutoff.

Taxes should be dramatically lowered, I am not talking the 19% of recent historical averages, I am talking pre progressive era, federal government revenue should be at 7% or less of GDP, and that is still a whole **** ton of money.

Americans are giving people, and when they don't have resources they are able to do amazing things to help people get back on their feet, when they have extra money in their pockets they will take care of those in need, but those who have been milking the system will be **** out of luck.

I have seen some great charity programs in the baton rouge area run by religious groups and non religious groups. They don't just hand out though, they research the situation, council those receiving charity and many times make them show progress or work for it, and most important they all have well established cutoffs.

I guarantee the fastest way to reduce unemployment in the country would be to cut off unemployment benefits tomorrow 100% cold turkey. You would have an economic boom, survival mindset would set in for those that felt comfortable with the 99 week government security blanket of unemployment benefits and they would get off their butt and find work because they have too.

I tried hiring a young lady to a job that would have paid around 28k-30k a year to start and she declined it because she was making too much money on welfare. Between food stamps and unemployment she said she was making around 23k a year tax free, I didn't believe her. So she showed me her benefits, and she actually will get $22,800 in welfare this year, for sitting on her duff, the only requirement she has to do is show she applied for a job ever so often. So it looks like I am paying her to sit at home and do nothing, but instead of my company paying her to work, I am personally paying her out of my paycheck to do nothing, I say cut it all off and everything will sort itself out.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    YES! It used to be the church's job, but the goverment yanked it away.

This is not your customary quality of post. I think you yanked the trigger a little. It's not anyone's job to help anyone else.

I agree with you that the gubmint yanked "it" away. Specifically, Johnson's great society programs substituted the federal government for community and church. This created a chasm between the payers and the takers that did not previously exist when the community gave to help people they knew. The providers lost traceability and the takers gained anonymity. Bureaucrats who cared only for the continuation of their jobs doled out money in ever increasing amounts and in an ever increasing array of programs. Recipients developed an entitlement mentality. Liberal lawmakers guarded the programs as a vote sources. So while it was never anyone's job to support anyone else, being supported became a job for generations of recipients, paying them became a job for generations of government workers and protecting them became the job ofgenerations of liberal lawmakers. And it became our burden to work at our jobs to pay for it. Glad to see someone turning it around a little. It's a start.

True, I did, but you covered nice for me ;)

I wasn't really wanting to get into it but if the Christian Church's were doing what is required of them by the manual that dictates their responsibilities then I'm fairly certain there would be at least 50 million less welfare recipients today. Just as long as we understand that Church's aren't required to just give food away either. Working for Soup is a common concept in most Church's today. Want food? Here have a meal. Want another? Let’s see about getting you a job to work for this food, etc.etc.

I see no problem with this. It worked for many generations before us.

However as has been witnessed throughout world history. Once you start spoon feeding a generation you CANNOT just STOP and not face revolt. It's happening today in the US. Spoon-Feeders are revolting slowly but surely.

Now just imagine when the US Government Trough runs dry ……sigh…wipes brow…… ‘Gunna be nasty indeed’.

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    MR. kcinnick,

You've got my vote!!!! And as far as social security is concerned, which I get due to being disabled, I say, give me my lifetime of payments into this "program" back and we'll call it even.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

Best explanation yet, which makes the solution rather obvious!

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    I think anonymity is one of the biggest problems with the system as it is now. I bet if they required everyone using a LA purchase card to also be wearing a shirt advertising that fact, it would cut way down on people just getting food stamps because they can, even though they really don't need them. I also think that if they refuse a job that they apply for and get, they should lose their assistance. I also think that they get way too much money for food. The average working class american can't spend nearly as much on food as these people get for free.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wanna change things without all if the soundbytes against the "slugs" and partisanship?

Dump the Fed Reserve (repeal the act based on NO constitutional authority); get OUT of the UN (no constitutional authority); wrest our foreign policy from the Neocon/Trotskite/Zionists and close 2/3 of our foreign military bases and get the F out of Iraq, Iran, Pakistan - ALL OF EURASIA; get out/repudiate CAFTA, NAFTA, FTAA and the WTO post haste; repudiate the national debt as THE PEOPLE didn't accrue it. Arrest those who have brought us here. Ban media portrayals of immorality and illegality. With tariffs on all imported goods reinstated we drop the Fed Income Tax. I'd offer free college tuition to those who academically qualify for areas of need - Civil Engineering and Agriculture, for example.

Within three to five years this shitmare would be over. We could pocket the insane amounts of constitutional money and invest in SELF. We would lead the world again within a generation.

As for the current system... Where does one start? It should be WORKFARE for all able-bodied persons.

Not one in a hundred comprehends how big this problem is much less how to attack it.

Last edited:

reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    wanna change things without all if the soundbytes against the "slugs" and partisanship?

Dump the fed reserve (repeal the act based on no constitutional authority); get out of the un (no constitutional authority); wrest our foreign policy from the neocon/trotskite/zionists and close 2/3 of our foreign military bases and get the f out of iraq, iran, pakistan - all of eurasia; get out/repudiate cafta, nafta, ftaa and the wto post haste; repudiate the national debt as the people didn't accrue it. Arrest those who have brought us here. Ban media portrayals of immorality and illegality. With tariffs on all imported goods reinstated we drop the fed income tax. I'd offer free college tuition to those who academically qualify for areas of need - civil engineering and agriculture, for example.

Within three to five years this shitmare would be over. We could pocket the insane amounts of constitutional money and invest in self. We would lead the world again within a generation.

As for the current system... Where does one start? It should be workfare for all able-bodied persons.

Not one in a hundred comprehends how big this problem is much less how to attack it.

sounds good to me!

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    How about this? The system can remain in place as it is. But if you take money from a gov welfare type program, you are ineligible to vote during that time you are in the program <with exceptions for disability of course>. Also, many "rights" are revoked. Specifically, for example, you MUST submit to drug testing.

It's time to get a handle on this. It's gonna be BAD. People & zombies are going to get killed. But it'll sort itself out in time and everyone will be better off in the long run. But only if a drastic change is implemented SOON.

Top Bottom