Midsize SUV suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I had a good run with a Honda Civic (16 years) so when we wanted an SUV we test drove damn near everything out there but kept coming back to the Honda Pilot. It's our primary vehicle, an '08 bought in 10/'07, over 140K miles on it, and a good track record except for the window motors (three of four have gone out, and we barely use them, one composite unit part that with labor makes for $300+ replacement at a dealer). It has reasonable cargo space, good leg room, we've been very happy with it (except the windows thing, anyone else have that problem?).

A co-worker and his wife, with one child and planning another, bought a Ford Escape or Edge (something starting with an "E") but then found out they were having twins. The doors would not close on the three car seats side-by-side, ended up taking a loss selling it. Point being, third row availability or take careful measurements.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Yeah to each his own. Inside and out I'm just not a fan. The interior passenger has that weird shelf thing beneath the dash but above the glovebox, the automatic shift knob is awkwardly located, etc. Really it's not that bad looking, but I guess I just was shocked with the change from 08 to 09 and never got over it.

I think it is mainly the front facia that I don't like.

I have only bought 3 new cars my whole life. In every car I have found things I didn't like and some things I surprisingly loved like a keypad on the Crown Vic door. I was not crazy about the shelf thing, but the wives seem to like them. One thing I find awkward is when I go through drive up banking. It seems harder to reach the 'Tube' from the Pilot. The interior is not that fancy but is easy to clean.

I am at the point where I would fore go looks over other things on a vehicle - I would drive a mini-van or even a Ford Transit if it fit my needs. I just bought a Sentra recently based on the price/deal/need. Essentially I am not going to look cool no matter what so why bother. If a car has a radio & climate control I am in high cotton.

I have found there are some things that pop up when you live with a vehicle that you might never think of when shopping.

Some body I know took a long trip in a Highlander and said it was very comfy.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I was going to buy a Odyssey but went with Pilot. Now we have EXL with RES and it's great. Bad thing is now with 2 kids it doesn't hold that much stuff on trips and GAS mileage is bad. I get 19 city and 19.5 hwy. The new Pilot is due in the summer so I'd wait. Suppose to be same frame as MDX which is hear is a lot better ride

After 3 months wife wanted a to trade Pilot for Odyssey

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    just an update......no pilot, no xc60, no pathfinder. Tahoe and Yukon are too big to share the garage with the Bronco. Whittling the list down to 4 Runner, Acadia, maybe the infiniti qx60. Wanted the volvo xc90. Body style change got delayed, there are no new 2014's left. New ones not out until May and they'll be 2016 models with a 15k bump in price.

Last edited:

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    The search is over. Too good of a deal to pass on. 2015 Acadia Denali. She's happy, I'm happy. Thanks for the suggestions. This went from being an after the baby decision to being a before the baby ordeal. Just happy it's done

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The search is over. Too good of a deal to pass on. 2015 Acadia Denali. She's happy, I'm happy. Thanks for the suggestions. This went from being an after the baby decision to being a before the baby ordeal. Just happy it's done

Yay! Now y'all can get the car seat in there all nice and perfect and prepare to find Cheerios and snacks between the seats soon.

Tony Stark

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    Can't go wrong with Toyota, the Highlander is very nice, much better ride than the truck frame based 4 runner.

Agree on Volvo for safety 1st.

Avoid Nissan Pathfiner...MAJOR transmission issues on the new ones.

Top Bottom