Military folk need a watch for basic

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Humm. We asked the recruiter, and was told a watch and a single religious item. I figured a watch would be allowed just trying to figure out the type that would be.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Humm. We asked the recruiter, and was told a watch and a single religious item. I figured a watch would be allowed just trying to figure out the type that would be.

Don't believe anything a recruiter says. At this point, if your son hasn't been to basic for the Navy... Don't even trust the recruiter that your son actually joined the Navy.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Lol I told my recruiter no matter what I was joining just shoot it straight with me. He still lied to me about any and everything he could. Pointless stuff at that. I can honestly say my recruiter told me more lies than he did actual information. He also got me smoked my first day since he told me after taps I was free to do what I wanted until revile. Definitely not true and I learned that the hard way trying to explain why I was headed to the gym and to call my wife while my division was back in the barracks sleeping.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Ours has been pretty straight with us. I'm not military but I have a lot of friends that are former military and active so I will call out BS when I hear it. A lot of stuff has changed in the past year and it is still changing and a lot of that stuff does not get passed to recruiters in a timely manner. Our recruiter is a means to an ends. Our son was going in so there was no reason to bs. He's been in ROTC for the past 3 years and Sea Cadets before that so he has a good feel of what he can and cannot do. He got a decent job allocation at MEPS that can be transferred to civilian use, which was the main thing I was worried about. I have heard first hand horror stories about MEPS in Belle Chase.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Ours has been pretty straight with us. I'm not military but I have a lot of friends that are former military and active so I will call out BS when I hear it. A lot of stuff has changed in the past year and it is still changing and a lot of that stuff does not get passed to recruiters in a timely manner. Our recruiter is a means to an ends. Our son was going in so there was no reason to bs. He's been in ROTC for the past 3 years and Sea Cadets before that so he has a good feel of what he can and cannot do. He got a decent job allocation at MEPS that can be transferred to civilian use, which was the main thing I was worried about. I have heard first hand horror stories about MEPS in Belle Chase.

I had a neighbor who was an E-6 who I took with me to meet my recruiter thinking that maybe that would help me get some of the truth out of my reciter. I was able to figure out mostly what was a lie and what wasn’t however he lied so much about pointless stuff that most of it I would have never thought to ask if he was lying or not. Hell he lied to me even after I signed my book of papers and my head was already counted towards his quota for the month. Hey at least he didn’t lie about the Starbucks on the ship! We actually did have one! Nothing better than a cup of fresh Starbucks with a hint of sea water lol.

In all reality I wouldn’t get too stressed or upset about it. I could sit down with your son and tell him any and everything he would ever want to know about basic. He’ll learn very quickly how to adapt and overcome. I hope I didn’t come off as trying to be negative. Good recruiters do exist they are just few and far in between. I have heard from some of my friends that their recruiter were honest with them throughout.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    @icetraxx out of curiosity was your son able to select his rate (job) yet? I only ask because out of the lies I was told from my recruiter and meps only one could have had a negative impact on my time in the service.

when I went to meps I was told that they only had two job openings. LS and CS are which are the ships cooks and store clerks. I told them I would just have to come back then because I was not interested in doing either. The guy told me I may have to wait about 6 month to ship out. I thought about it for a second and said that’s fine then I’ll come back. After I told him that and was ready to leave his story changed pretty quickly. He then asked me what I was interested in and I told him I would like to select either an Aviation or ordnance job. He printed me out a couple pieces of paper with about 50 different rates that I qualified for and told me to pick one. I selected Aviation Ordnancemen. The best of both world in my mind lol. As much as I loved being in charge of the .50 cal mounts, M240s, armory, and bomb and missile magazines if I could go back in time I certainly would have selected Air Traffic Control not that I think my time would have been better in the Navy I think it may have actually been worse however that would have been something I could have translated over into the civilian world.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Yes he has been through MEPS. I could not remember what he exactly wanted. I told him to pick a top 3 and 2 alternatives. He was still out of luck on all of those, but qualified for aviation engine mechanic. So he took that one. He really wants to get into SPEC War for EOD or similar. That meant he had to blow away the PFT times to be considered pre-basic, which meant training. However with school and a job that didn't work out. So he is just going to go in and try for Spec war later. I did tell him he needs to apply for and get as much security clearance as possible as well. He is a pretty sharp kid that thrives on rules, regulations, and procedures. Which is why I pointed him toward the military instead of college. I was prepared for college if he went that way, but it is just not him. So we will see, it will be all up to him come June.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Yes he has been through MEPS. I could not remember what he exactly wanted. I told him to pick a top 3 and 2 alternatives. He was still out of luck on all of those, but qualified for aviation engine mechanic. So he took that one. He really wants to get into SPEC War for EOD or similar. That meant he had to blow away the PFT times to be considered pre-basic, which meant training. However with school and a job that didn't work out. So he is just going to go in and try for Spec war later. I did tell him he needs to apply for and get as much security clearance as possible as well. He is a pretty sharp kid that thrives on rules, regulations, and procedures. Which is why I pointed him toward the military instead of college. I was prepared for college if he went that way, but it is just not him. So we will see, it will be all up to him come June.

good luck and I’m sure he’ll be fine. He sounds perfect for the job from what you described and I’m glad as a father you can see what you think your child’s best move would be. My in laws still look at me as the black sheep because all I have is a high school diploma and 5 years of service with an honorable discharge (5 year contract). I attempted Delgado since I had TOPS. 2 semesters and 7 F’s and D later I already knew I was just wasting my time. I’m now 31 with two kids and my wife. My mother in law still try’s to have the talk with me about going to college. School simply isn’t for some people and without sports to keep me motivated to make the grade I had 0 Interest.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Recruiters have been bullshitting people forever . During WWII , my Dad joined the USAAF with the intention of being a Bombardier / Navigator . Once they had their claws in him they sent him to Gunnery school . Stuck him in a B-17 Ball Turret . It was wartime . **** happens ..:D
    I wish the young man well .

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    G-Shock. DW9052-1V $70ish Had the original model, lasted six deployments. Last deployment to Iraq it was EMP'd. Brought it back stateside and a local Casio watch guy at the mall replaced the internals and fixed it. I called Casio years later to get a band replacement and found a crack in the crown, Casio replaced it free of charge and mailed me a newer model. Amazing watch amazing company. G-Shocks range from plain to jumpmaster. For Basic get the DW9052-1V it could be taken or stolen. I recommend Resco or Shinola military models if you want something to last a lifetime.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Maybe get one of the simpler, less expensive watches for Basic (the time will mostly be watched for him ;)) and get a G-Shock for his Basic graduation?

My son is a firefighter and his wife's brothers are Marines and Coast Guard. All of them wear G-Shock and nothing else.

Top Bottom