Mini Excavators for -$5000?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Has anyone gotten a good deal on a mini excavator, or does anyone know how to buy them frugally? I've seen some people get them for $3500-4000, which seems great. Is there anywhere local to get them for that kind of price?

36" ones, .8-2.5ton, towable by a small vehicle.

I figure it would be cheaper to buy and run, tow it myself to all the old people's houses, for projects, than to rent at $150-250 a day and delivery charges since I have to be a weekend warrior.

Any tips, advice, or leads would be appreciated. I can't buy now, but in a month or two.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I could be wrong but would imagine a mini for $4000-6000 would be a money pit really fast… they are expensive machines and expensive to work on, for one to be that cheap I would imagine I would need a lot of work even undisclosed work lol

My neighbor has a good bit of equipment and he just bought one for $14000 and it needed about $3k worth of work, that he already knew about so it was a good deal for him

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I could be wrong but would imagine a mini for $4000-6000 would be a money pit really fast… they are expensive machines and expensive to work on, for one to be that cheap I would imagine I would need a lot of work even undisclosed work lol

My neighbor has a good bit of equipment and he just bought one for $14000 and it needed about $3k worth of work, that he already knew about so it was a good deal for him
    The ones I'm interested in use a simple mower engine & have interchangeable parts. The $2500 hydraulic pumps for proprietary brand are apparently about $500-1000 for generics.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Has anyone gotten a good deal on a mini excavator, or does anyone know how to buy them frugally? I've seen some people get them for $3500-4000, which seems great. Is there anywhere local to get them for that kind of price?

36" ones, .8-2.5ton, towable by a small vehicle.

I figure it would be cheaper to buy and run, tow it myself to all the old people's houses, for projects, than to rent at $150-250 a day and delivery charges since I have to be a weekend warrior.

Any tips, advice, or leads would be appreciated. I can't buy now, but in a month or two.
    Henderson Auction has them from time to time, and there is a roadside seller here in Laffy. I've considered buying one, but, I don't think they have enough mass to keep them on the ground while digging. I rented a bigger one last fall when the sewer backed up on my rental. It made life a lot easier, but I haven't found one on the used market that's affordable, and can still be pulled on my truck, trailer.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Henderson Auction has them from time to time, and there is a roadside seller here in Laffy. I've considered buying one, but, I don't think they have enough mass to keep them on the ground while digging. I rented a bigger one last fall when the sewer backed up on my rental. It made life a lot easier, but I haven't found one on the used market that's affordable, and can still be pulled on my truck, trailer.
    They can be bouncy, some
    of them have a nice big cast iron counterweight with thin steel, some are just thick steel, and I'm sure some are crap, lol.

I want it for installing french drains, digging out small stumps, and maybe installing watering holes on food plots.

Home Depot labor is like $250 a day, so is renting a machine, wouldn't take long to pay for itself.

I'll have to look for the Laffy place and at Henderson, thank you.

Last edited:

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    They can be bouncy, some
    of them have a nice big cast iron counterweight with thin steel, some are just thick steel, and I'm sure some are crap, lol.

I want it for installing french drains, digging out small stumps, and maybe installing watering holes on food plots.

Home Depot labor is like $250 a day, so is renting a machine, wouldn't take long to pay for itself.

I'll have to look for the Laffy place and at Henderson, thank you.
    If I'm out that way I'll stop and take a pix and post it here.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    If I'm out that way I'll stop and take a pix and post it here.
    20240307_123531[1].jpg
    20240307_123638_06[1].jpg

The micro excavators aren't here anymore, this is where I saw them while out this way looking at a building. No excavators today, just a trencher and a dump truck. Between Laffy and Maurice on Eloi Broussard Road.

Top Bottom