Minimum Posts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    A lot of forums require 50 posts. It weeds out some of the people that don't contribute to the sight and just use it as a online classified, but at the same time some people just run up their posts really quick in order to post in the classifieds. I was guilty of it myself on another forum. I have been reading that forum for several years but only had like 10 posts. So I went to the picture thread and posted stuff like, "looks nice," "good job," "what holster is that," and etc.

It definitely adds a hurdle though. It will weed out some people but not all of them. I personally don't have a problem with a local board as you are much less likely to get ripped off doing FTF deals, but I understand the reasoning. Not sure I really have an opinion one way or the other ;)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Minimum post requirements are highly annoying. I wanted to sell something on another website a few months ago and couldn't. So I gave up and haven't been back to that site since.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    IMO post count has little (if anything) to do with whether or not someone selling something is trustworthy. Not to mention, for those who are having a hard time finding ammo, I am guessing that they would be glad that the ad in question was posted.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    one site i just joined makes you do 5 posts in a hidden forum before you can access the full site. it was very annoying, and they still get spam posts.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Jan 23, 2007
    It accomplishes nothing, but promotes post whoring.

"Your # of post indicated how trustworthy, intellegant, and committed you are."

:)

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I was wondering if there has been any consideration to making a minimum posting requirement before posting for sale preventing things like this:

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18099

Just an idea.

Is the post you are referring to a bad deal or something?
    Or you just don't like his 1st post is something for sale?
    I'm not a 7.62 guy so I'm not up on the price he has listed.
    If it's a good deal then why not, and if it's not a good deal then
    no one buys right.

IMO sorta better than someone that's a premium member and only shows up only to sell a bunch of stuff then *poof* again.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    To each his own, I see no problem with it. I still feel all for sale items should be posted in the premium members section for 72 hours before they are posted for all to see.

spanky

Gold Member
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    There have been a few people who do that (come on just to buy or sell) and end up becoming productive members.

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Gives people more of a reason to donate/become a paid member to the site if they get first shot at deals

Meh, that's what site sponsors are for. When you try to force a donation to do this or that then you may as well just make everyone pay for everything.
    JMHO

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I don't think a minimum post count would make much difference. FWIW, I'm often buying gear I need and selling what I don't need anymore on a number of forums. I've run into more flaky buyers here in my short time here than in all the other boards I'm a member of...never a rip off, mind you, just buyers never completing the deal they committed to.

whbonney26

Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I dont see a problem with it either. Esp if its local f2f deals. Some people are just not the kind to hang around forums. I have seen some pretty good deals come across different sites from people who had something that fit the needs of a certain community of the site they posted on. They found the sites through google or where ever and sold their item and was never heard from again.

I think min post counts are a pain in the butt. I know that I have went to a couple sites where I knew I would have a market for my item just to sell it but had no desire to talk about that kind of stuff on their forum.

rgswamp

EBR guy
    Mar 31, 2009
    The downside to a post requirement is for people like me. I don't post much, but rather spend the time to absorb info from lots of people I consider more knowledgable than I. I'm sure there are others like that also. But I wouldn't care for a restriction in case I do want to use the marketplace. Just a thought........

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I don't think a minimum post count would make much difference. FWIW, I'm often buying gear I need and selling what I don't need anymore on a number of forums. I've run into more flaky buyers here in my short time here than in all the other boards I'm a member of...never a rip off, mind you, just buyers never completing the deal they committed to.

My opinion would be that if a deal isn't completed that was agreed to then Negative feedback. Unless there is some really extenuating circumstance. But that would be up to the people involved.

I only tried to sell one item here, had a bad experience with the buyer while meeting FTF (tried to short me on the $$$ we agreed to and said he would get back to me to meet again). I waited for several days and never heard back from the guy. I gave up and sold it to some guy off another forum.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom