mixing kitty litter and... kaboom?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So apparently we had a small fire this weekend and they are blaming some combination of kitty litter in our trash receptacle as the culprit. Kitty litter plus X is spontaneously combustible??

Internet searches regarding kitty litter + X = combustible return no verifiable results- ie; no video or sciency-discussions. (and if I wasn't on every ABC agency watchlist already, I am now. :rofl:)

Anyhow, the most likely combination was bleach (we use a lot of it)- but my science experiment to test theory yielded unimpressive results. The internet has all these myths about vegetable oil, etc, but I'm waving the BS flag. Our security footage shows it seemingly "spontaneously combusting" as a small fire and growing into a monster in just a few minutes...

We use kitty litter for small spills in some areas, and our maintenance crew loves bleach so we are presuming that was it, but apparently not. The fire marshall swore that either bleach or cooking oil (possible as well, just highly unlikely considering where fire started) was a recipe for disaster... I'm skeptical.

Skip the "Yah my uncle bob told me so" stuff- the internet is full of that crap. Since I cannot replicate the theory, we are still assuming arson and investigating as such. (camera angle is iffy)

I was asked to provide the fire marshall and chief of police a copy of the video for training purposes etc... but I'm more concerned with finding out what the heck caused it so it doesn't happen again. This time luckily it only cost us a few grand.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What was the kitty litter used for ? Was it used to absorb some other chemical ?

yeah, we use it for motor oil spills and random warehouse-y "general" spills. We don't sell pool chemicals or anything though so its either some mystery combination, or a very well executed arson tidbit from someone familiar with my security camera viewing areas.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I've seen motor oil combust on rags. But only in direct sunlight.

Maybe, if the litter has some cellulose or rag content. But then there's the sunlight question. Besides, i thought kitty litter has a high clay content?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    the kitty litters we sell are all clay based, i checked every brand that we use. so its not that.

and this was in a 400,000 sq ft building at 1:00am. Temperature was probably 80 tops.

My research has panned out a few possibilities, but as much as I'd love to blame arson our warehouse manager said this has happened before. So apparently there is some unlucky combination that we are just unaware of. dunno.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Cooking oils(as well as tung and linseed Oils) have long been known
    for their spontaneous heating abilities.

The bleach plays no part.

There simply needs to be enough oxygen to allow a reaction
    but not enough air flow to allow the heat to escape.
    The oil and time does the rest.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Cooking oils(as well as tung and linseed Oils) have long been known
    for their spontaneous heating abilities.

The bleach plays no part.

There simply needs to be enough oxygen to allow a reaction
    but not enough air flow to allow the heat to escape.
    The oil and time does the rest.

are you implying that cooking oil on its own merit will spontaneously combust?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    mystery mixture/substance was in a trash receptical that had bits of paper, cardboard, and pallet chunks in it. So pretty much an ideal fire pit... the mystery is what caused ignition.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Was cooking oil not present in the trash can?

shrug. possibly. thats the mystery- it could have been anything. It was in a "salvage" area, so anything that got busted would be tossed in there to be processed. The only certainty is that our maintenance crew cleans with bleach (rather heavily), so I presumed that was a contributor. In all honesty, I haven't the slightest Fing clue what it could have been.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well bleach is made up of Sodium Hypochlorite which is a strong oxidizing agent.
    Thus it can assist in providing the oxygen without the draft I mentioned earlier.
    It doesn't need to be present for a spontaneous heating event though.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Thats a scary situation. I have seen Bleach mixed with certian OTHER THINGS react and give off lots of heat, but enough for ignition ? Im not sure. Hope you find the source !

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Thats a scary situation. I have seen Bleach mixed with certian OTHER THINGS react and give off lots of heat, but enough for ignition ? Im not sure. Hope you find the source !

yeah, as stated the bin that this started in had little pieces of shredded paper, cardboard, pallet chunks - it was literally an ideal fire waiting for ignition. This bin sat undisturbed for ~4 hours indoors before the fire started.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom