Modular suppressor?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bboni2`

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Shreveport
    Looking to get into the suppressor game…would love something that is modular for use with 5.56 and 9 mm but really want to optimize suppression. Is a “do it all” suppressor worth it?

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    I've got a 9mm quiet pickle and a hybrid 9mm to .450. I'm sure if you measured it there is a difference but I can't really tell when shooting my handgun. Some hybrid suppressors are made to have different end caps for different calibers but I would be careful because all it takes is to forget to change them when changing guns and you could have a really bad day.

bboni2`

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Shreveport
    I've got a 9mm quiet pickle and a hybrid 9mm to .450. I'm sure if you measured it there is a difference but I can't really tell when shooting my handgun. Some hybrid suppressors are made to have different end caps for different calibers but I would be careful because all it takes is to forget to change them when changing guns and you could have a really bad day.
    Didn’t consider the possibility of forgetting to change the caps…definitely a valid point.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Generally, if you want to optimize suppression, you will have to go caliber specific. There really is no suppressor that excels at 5.56 and 9mm. I would get one for each. I know it's a terrible answer, but it really is the best and just two isn't so bad. There are plenty of 5.56 cans.

For 9mm, do you want to use it for sub guns or pistols or both?

bboni2`

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Shreveport
    Generally, if you want to optimize suppression, you will have to go caliber specific. There really is no suppressor that excels at 5.56 and 9mm. I would get one for each. I know it's a terrible answer, but it really is the best and just two isn't so bad. There are plenty of 5.56 cans.

For 9mm, do you want to use it for sub guns or pistols or both?
    Would be using the 9mm suppressor on pistols

Any recs for a 300 blk/5.56 suppressor? That would cover most of my needs if I had one for 9mm and another that could take care of 5.56 and 300 blk.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For 300 Blk or 5.56 AR, I would go with a Dead Air Sandman L for max suppression or Sandman S if you want a little shorter and less weight. YHM Resonator is another great suppressor and way less expensive, but some people don't like the mounting system.

For 9mm pistols, I would go with a Rugged Obsidian 9. Modular, quiet, easy to take apart and clean, and built tough.

2aadvocate19

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Lake Charles, LA
    just get two. it's worth it. I'm loving my oss helix 762. it's great because you don't really HAVE to have an adjustable gas system to run it on ars and you don't get a bunch of gas back in your face! any 9mm suppressor from a reputable company will do just fine. silencerco makes a bunch of accessories for theirs so if you run guns with tri lug, need different thread patterns, their pretty good in my book. the octane 9 2.0 is a nice budget friendly option.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    if your only getting one, id get a "do all" silencerco hybrid or any other big bore can, you can shoot any caliber pistol up to .45 and any caliber rifle and change the endcaps if you wanna knock down a little sound... but as stated above, but a little twist....

get 3....

#1-Big bore hybrid style

i use mine for hunting with subsoinc .44 and 45-70 the majority of the time

#2-light full auto rated .30 cal that can be used on .556-308

mine stay on my sbr ar

#3- a .22 can, cause they are the cheapest and really make you giggle like a little kid every time you shoot it :mamoru:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have been looking at the silencerco hybrid for a while now, but I’ll probably buy the dead air primal. I will be able to screw it on a .45-70 or .338 Lapua.

Of the pile of cans I have, the mask is the only dead air can I own. A dead air mask is magic. No first round pop.

You mentioned modular. I’m a precision rifle guy. If it’s not all welded, I don’t want it.

* edit * I do have a modular It’s the salvo 12g can. That don’t count. Lol

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I also look at full-auto rated so it will last. I always look at the materials it's made of. If you are concerned about weight too, go with titanium.

My limited experience is the Hybrids are not worth it. They do everything ok but nothing well. Everyone always end up buying more suppressors anyway. Unless you need something like .458 socom or .338

My order first 3 would be
    1. 30 cal QD can. Several good ones. Pick one that has a mount you like
    2. .22 LR Dead Air Mask - best rimfire can out there. Quiet, easy service, built tough, can handle .22WMR, .17HMR, and 5.7x28
    3. Tie 30 cal Direct Thread for bolt/hunting or 5.56 can for AR
    4. Pistol Suppressor - Rugged Obsidian or Dead Air Wolfman

BTW, the Rugged Obsidian 45 can suppress .22lr, 9mm (they sell a 9mm cap for better suppression), 10mm, .45 ACP, .350 Legend, .300 blk subs, 450 bushmaster, and 45-70. The Obsidian 9 will suppress 9mm and 350 legend better.

MGshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Denham Springs
    I'm not a fan of do all can's , I prefer dedicated use items . However I do understand the tax sucks . We do make a 9mm rifle can that does work well on smaller calibers and is light enough to function on pistols with our booster . We do offer dedicated 556 and .30cal cans . Ours use standard mounting threads so whatever mount you like can be used . Swing by the shop if you're in the Baton rouge area and we can do a demo if you'd like . Meaux guns / Aklys defense , I'd be happy to explain the ideas behind the design and materials , just ask for Zach .

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am in favor of 3 cans.
    I have a Saker 308 which covers all my rifle calibers with QD mounts on all rifle hosts.
    a 45 octane which covers all pistols and PCC I have, this is direct thread with associated pistons and spacers for different thread patterns.
    a 22lr can for all my 22lr shooting needs but mostly lives on my TX22 Competition pistol but is available for the M&P15-22 when needed.

Full Auto rated is nice but also be aware if you want to do SBR or AR pistols make sure what barrel length restrictions thre are for the can you choose. That is why I went with the SiCo Saker it was rated for short barrels in the calibers I wanted it for at the time.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Couple things to think about if you're trying to do 9mm pistol and 5.56 rifle with the same can.

Many cans are welded for rifles as they want to make sure it can handle all the gases/blast/heat

Rifle cans are fixed, and many use muzzle devices to not only allow of quick attach, but also keeps the can from backing off

Pistol cans typically need a neilson device. Which involves spring and piston.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve got a Hybrid46 that is awesome and it does an awesome job of suppressing a wide range. Never have I had a problem with the end caps and forgetting, but it’s a level of awareness that a suppressor owner should have no matter which setup they’re running. **** happens even with caliber specific suppressors and you just have to train yourself to check your setup. I also owned a Sandman and sold it during 2020 because I just didn’t like it as much as my others.

Like mentioned above with Pistol Calibers, you’ll need a piston and that starts to get to be more involved. If you watch SilencerShop or Capitol Armory you will get notifications when the dealers are running the Buy One Get One Free or for $200. Also, if you happen to be an Honorably Discharged Veteran, there are some substantial discounts available.

I was able to shoot a 36M on 4-5 different occasions and I prefer the 46M because it handles “The Crack” better and I just didn’t care for the way it handled. Newer is not always better!

One brand of suppressor that isn’t often brought up is B&T and I’m not sure why because they are some of the best out there. I’m just hitting the 6 month mark on my “90-Day E-File” for my B&T SD suppressors, but I’m able to go to the range and shoot them while waiting…Hopefully not much longer, but it’s just waiting for the BATF to get the kinks worked out of their system.

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Dead Air’s Wolfman is modular and does a decent job w/ both 5.56 and 9mm.

Variety of end caps and attachment devices available … 3-lug adapter for your 9mm subguns and ruger 10/22, piston adapter for your 9mm pistols, keymo/keymicro for 5.56/300blk rifles

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Agreeed my hybrids may not be the best at everything, but they are great at everything… first round pop ect… for the versatility you get out of a hybrid or other quality big bore cans it’s well worth the money unless you want dedicated gun/can combos, a pair that will stay married like a short .300aac ect….. yes do a lot of research and figure out what style,material, db rating, length, weight you want to custom tailor the gun/suppressor combo

Top Bottom