Monarch Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Today I shot some of the Monarch ammo bought on sale. Wish I had bought more. It is much cleaner than Wolf. When I handle Wolf ammo and load mags my hands get very dirty. I like monarch much better and it shoots well to boot.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I ran 250 rounds of the Monarch brass (blue box) .223 through my new AR today without a single hickup. Seems like good stuff. Does kinda smell funny though.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    The Monarch you see at Academy is just Prvi Partizan ammo in a different box. From what I understand its excellent plinking ammo, but not too terribly accurate. Think Wolf or Silver Bear, just another contender.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    The Monarch you see at Academy is just Prvi Partizan ammo in a different box.

This is not accurate. The Monarch ammunition is manufactured by the Russian firm, Barnual. The Monarch packaging is unique to Academy.

Barnual also provides ammunition for the Silver Bear, Brown Bear & Golden Bear product lines imported by Zander & Sons.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    This is not accurate. The Monarch ammunition is manufactured by the Russian firm, Barnual. The Monarch packaging is unique to Academy.

Barnual also provides ammunition for the Silver Bear, Brown Bear & Golden Bear product lines imported by Zander & Sons.

Do you like or dislike the stuff? :confused:

I shoot it all day long in my glocks but I wondered about how it performed in AR's.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La

I guess it depends on the box. Blue box is like you are saying. Green box is made in Serbia by Prvi Partizan, the difference being brass instead of lacquered steel.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

Some of the Monarch stuff must be Privi Partisan because the case of 9mm I bought a few weeks ago says Manf. in Serbia by Privi Partisan. I have heard some annecdotal stories about the rifle stuff in .223 blowing up guns but I have only shot the 9mm. It may be hot and damaging guns but both Barnaul and Privi have been making ammo for a long, long time.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    does it really matter how dirty the ammo is if you're going to clean the gun really well after you finish shooting it?????

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Ya, my DPMS ar ate monarch, wolf, AE 5.56, winchester, and remington umc yesterday. Not one FTF or FTE or any other problem.

Monarch is GTG by me.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My M-4 runs Monarch fine. My XD-9 SC has stovepiped once on Monarch 9mm and twice the last round failed to hold the slide open. It runs fine on everything else. I have read that some Monarch 9mm isn't loaded "hot" enough.

LAYNFRM

in the fire
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    central/pride
    My M-4 runs Monarch fine. My XD-9 SC has stovepiped once on Monarch 9mm and twice the last round failed to hold the slide open. It runs fine on everything else. I have read that some Monarch 9mm isn't loaded "hot" enough.

wouldn't not holding the slide open have to do with the magazine?

my 1911 and p90dc have never had a problem with monarch ammo. i'm gonna try it in the AR whenever i get to where i am physically able to shoot

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    wouldn't not holding the slide open have to do with the magazine?

It could be a magazine problem, but more than likely the slide was "short stroking" due to the under powered load. The slide wasn't being driven back all the way to the rear stop and thus the mag follower wasn't able to catch the slide and hold it open. This is just my theory thought. I did some research and there are many threads om many sites that say that 9mm Monarch feels underpowered and stovepipes and jams in their guns while other brands do not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom