Money Orders as Payment

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Venmo is owned by PayPal and both charge fees for goods and services.

I probably move 1500 through 2000 in Venmo per month and have never been charged a fee. The new goods and services fee is a new thing they are rolling out soon, but they don't know if it's a good or service unless you tell them.

Friends moving money between each other isn't a good or a service.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If it is like the paypal friends and family deal, the money sender is not protected what so ever. With paypal, if you send a friends and family payment/gift, you have no recourse if you have an issue.

That is correct. But you currently don't have that option at all on Venmo. It's coming out soon from what I understand and will require a fee.

I also wouldn't blindly send someone unprotected money, which includes mailing them a money order. I consider sending someone a Venmo basically the same as handing them cash, which I won't do unless it's safe and justified.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    That is correct. But you currently don't have that option at all on Venmo. It's coming out soon from what I understand and will require a fee.

I also wouldn't blindly send someone unprotected money, which includes mailing them a money order. I consider sending someone a Venmo basically the same as handing them cash, which I won't do unless it's safe and justified.

I understand. I prefer to send USPS money orders as payment.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I've seen some very, very high-quality fakes of Postal Money Orders. It's a lot harder to fake sending me money on PayPal or Venmo.

That being said, I've also seen some exceptionally high quality fake US Dollars that were only caught due to electronic bill-counter machines that banks use nowadays.
    So you’re saying you’ve seen USPS money orders with the security watermark and thread intact that were counterfeit? I could understand an altered money order. Were they made out with the exact amount requested? Or just some random round number? I guess if some Nigerian prince sent me one I’d question it, but if I was dealing with a seasoned member here (especially any of the 100+ members I’ve already dealt with) I think I’d take a USPS money order with complete confidence. Not to mention I have the option of checking the M.O. before mailing anything to the buyer. Even if a post office cannot cash a money order due to a low cash count, they can most assuredly confirm its authenticity on the spot. I’ve never had anyone offer to pay FTF with a money order…

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Speaking of Paypal. I have a Paypal Plus Mastercard. Everytime I use it there is smaller service fee. It covers my entire paypal account. Service fee is for fraud protection. I have had to use it several times and it was worth it. They refunded my money right away and even get law enforcement involved. There are so many fake gun/ammunition sites out there that I will only use this for payment.

randy.01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Waldheim, LA
    If any money order is lost or stolen, how do you stop payment or get your money back? How do you get a refund if the sale falls through? I don't think you can.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    If any money order is lost or stolen, how do you stop payment or get your money back? How do you get a refund if the sale falls through? I don't think you can.

It can happen. That's why member feedback should be considered when making the deal. If a postal money order is lost, at your request they will issue an new one or a refund after 60 days and kill the original one. They can check at anytime to see if the MO has been cashed/deposited.

As far as stolen, It has the seller's and buyer's name and address on it. You have to show ID to cash it like a check.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom