more colt layoffs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    This is a shame. A lot of Colt fans (including myself) reveled in the announcement of the new Cobra and were hoping it was the sign of new life at Colt for the venerable handgun maker. But this news sounds like it may have in fact been the last gasp of a dying giant.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I just went over to the Colt forum to see what the discussions were like over there. Seems there is no real news coming out about this, just lot's of speculation. Some layoffs, but no actual information they are closing down the Custom Shop. So it's too soon to assume gloom and doom...may just be some shake up going on over at the factory, no way to know from the outside what is actually going on. It's a privately held company, so they are under no obligations to make any of what's happening there public.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    So it's too soon to assume gloom and doom...may just be some shake up going on over at the factory, no way to know from the outside what is actually going on.

The people running Colt have been running it into the ground for years. It's a shame because its a shell of what was once one of the great firearms manufacturers in the U.S. Someone over at 1911.com posted an article today saying that the Advanced Systems unit and the custom shop have been completely shut down. They lost the US Military contract in 2013 because of shitty QC. I bought a 6951 9MM AR a few years ago. It was probably the biggest POS rifle I have ever purchased. It had tool marks all over the lower. The barrel was loose and the flash hider wasn't even hand tight. No way that gun should have come close to passing QC. I called them to send back to get fixed and they said it would take 8-12 weeks for a turnaround. I just fixed it myself and lived with the tool marks on the receiver.

I know they have had a hard time getting good gunsmiths to move to Hartford hence the 24 month backlog of custom shop orders. They have outsourced a number of projects over the last 4-5 years one being their Bolt Action M series rifles which Cooper Arms was contracted to put together. I have the M2012 Tactical with Manners stock and its one fine rifle. I hope they get their **** together but the end is near I am afraid. Getting investment bankers into the gun business usually doesn't end well.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/03/breaking-colt-lays-off-custom-shop-director-employees-company-rumored-gutted/

Looks like the custom shop wont be around much longer. I am goingbto pull the trigger on a special combat 1911.

24 month wait for a Custom shop gun? Wanted a 9mm Gold Cup. No dice grabbed a Kimber just like it Cheaper
    Sorry! I see you also posted the same thing 24 months that was what I was told as well.
    Did not read the whole thread just going by what they told me when I wanted to buy. Loose one here one there they add up

Last edited:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I've hear before about the Colt AR line being among the worse on the market, in terms of QC. But the 1911 line seems to still be good quality. They did bet their future on military contracts by not getting in the semi-auto pistol market outside of the 1911s. They couldn't keep making the DA revolvers the way they did (too labor intensive with intricate internal design) and as the revolver market faded in the 90's they fell behind in the consumer market in general. I was hopeful the new Cobra might be a sign of life and maybe bring them back in the consumer market. If not, they may well become the next Kodak, a company that literally created a market and then became the last one to see the obvious changes in that market. Colt is still a recognizable name, and like Kodak, the name will probably continue in one way or another, but the company as we know it may never again be what it was.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Colt Custom Shop was super good to me.
    When I had work done in 2006 they put my gun in draw # what ever, and called me in just a few Weeks. It was an Old timer that has since retired. Rebuled my slide on the Ace tweeked a few things and swapped the front sight. t has BoMar type so added a white square blade. Since i am getting older. Suer nice work and charged me 80 bucks and 10 to ship back.
    I know when I asked about the 9mm 1911 they said 24 months, that same guy who ran the Custom shop mentioned in that thread called me super nice guy. Told me in not so many words that most of the old timers were gone and that was the problem.
    Said they last time it was like that it was the strike. Remember the strike guns? Wow were they junk

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    They should move to the South, and start making Pythons again! Or, they could stay where they are and start making Pythons again. Better if they move and make Pythons again though..

Hate to hear about bad things for historic brands.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    They should move to the South, and start making Pythons again! Or, they could stay where they are and start making Pythons again. Better if they move and make Pythons again though..

Hate to hear about bad things for historic brands.

That's just not going to happen. Revolver sales are few and far between. The move to high cap semi-automatic handguns for the last 25 years. Just look at what all revolver prices have done, skyrocket. Supply and demand rules the day. Used Pythons go for $2500 and up.
    In the early 1990s, I had an FFL and could purchase a new .357 revolver for $175, a five shot .38 spec for $150. I bought and sold new Pythons for $600-800. I could kick myself for not holding on to the Pythons, especially the royal blue finish. Nobody today duplicates that former Colt deep mirror royal bluing handgun finish, or that finest smooth Python revolver factory action.

If Colt could manufacture high quality Pythons today and make money, they would. The demise of true craftsmen, and supply and demand in today's market.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I handled the new Cobra at SHOT. It is not worthy of the name. Not in any, way, shape, or form like the snake guns of days past. Better than a Taurus but I'd probably pass it by for a Ruger or Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I bought one of the new Colt Competition pistols last year for my wife, it is a damn fine gun and for the price I paid was a bargain. They seem to have gone up about $150 since then though, not sure if I'd choose it over a Springfield at the current price.

Top Bottom