WTS: Morgan Dollars/ Peace Dollars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_metals.htm

the specific density of the two is close enough that most people cannot tell by feel, but you have to actually weight them precisely.

I was going by more the.... I guess shade is the right word. They were not shiny, (Like the one pictured) they were not tarnished like some old silver, not patinaed... they looked like lead.

As I said: Regardless, even if I'm all F&*^(ed up (And setting aside your and my personal issues) the REST of the events... including the ones the seller has admitted to.... I've made my point.

Scuse me, I've got a redhead callin....

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I was going by more the.... I guess shade is the right word. They were not shiny, (Like the one pictured) they were not tarnished like some old silver, not patinaed... they looked like lead.

As I said: Regardless, even if I'm all F&*^(ed up (And setting aside your and my personal issues) the REST of the events... including the ones the seller has admitted to.... I've made my point.

Scuse me, I've got a redhead callin....

i was just pointing out precious metals can be VERY VERY tricky. i concede to your knowledge of AK's. I do know my way around precious metals.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    nor does claiming you can tell silver from lead purely by sight or 'weight'

From my expansive 5 minutes of research on the subject, lead and silver are actually pretty easy to tell apart (while weight is indeed not a good indicator, lead looks different and is much softer), which is why most people trying to pass off lead will actually plate it in silver.

I do know that if I was selling something that someone claimed was fake, I'd spend 3 minutes to take pictures instead of grabbing one off of Google. Obviously none of us is going to drive to BR and play Mr. Wizard with the lead/silver/whatever bar, so anything helps. Personally I wouldn't buy a bar of anything that wasn't certified and marked anyway. Even if it was "silver" someone bubba smelted at home in their bullet casting mold, you have no idea of the purity.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    From my expansive 5 minutes of research on the subject, lead and silver are actually pretty easy to tell apart (while weight is indeed not a good indicator, lead looks different and is much softer), which is why most people trying to pass off lead will actually plate it in silver.

I do know that if I was selling something that someone claimed was fake, I'd spend 3 minutes to take pictures instead of grabbing one off of Google. Obviously none of us is going to drive to BR and play Mr. Wizard with the lead/silver/whatever bar, so anything helps. Personally I wouldn't buy a bar of anything that wasn't certified and marked anyway. Even if it was "silver" someone bubba smelted at home in their bullet casting mold, you have no idea of the purity.

do you know how stuff is stamped? do you realize i could cast, stamp and create a fake certificate? what about tin or antimony added to the lead that makes it hard? or when you hand cast silver coins or scrap silver the impurities that rise to the surface?

but, i agree the stock google photo may not be the best

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    do you know how stuff is stamped? do you realize i could cast, stamp and create a fake certificate? what about tin or antimony added to the lead that makes it hard? or when you hand cast silver coins or scrap silver the impurities that rise to the surface?

but, i agree the stock google photo may not be the best

OK, mcinfantry is officially forbidden to sell precious metals on this forum...............:dogkeke:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    create a fake certificate?

No way, that's a highly specialized field and I only know of one guy in the entire state that can pull that off.

I guess what I meant was...I'd only buy it from a trusted and easily verifiable source that would not involve car trunks or bullet casting molds.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    No way, that's a highly specialized field and I only know of one guy in the entire state that can pull that off.

I guess what I meant was...I'd only buy it from a trusted and easily verifiable source that would not involve car trunks or bullet casting molds.

and you are 100% correct. I WOULD buy from a car trunk sans certificates or stamps. I trust my experience. But no way i could even talk you through it via telephone.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Determining the type of metal it is should be fairly simple.

Take volume by displacement, then weigh it. Once you have the average density, you can look it up on a chart.
    Silver is 10.5 g/cc. Lead is 11.35 g/cc.
    If its fairly pure it will be close to one of those numbers. If its not really close, it's a mystery metal.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Determining the type of metal it is should be fairly simple.

Take volume by displacement, then weigh it. Once you have the average density, you can look it up on a chart.
    Silver is 10.5 g/cc. Lead is 11.35 g/cc.
    If its fairly pure it will be close to one of those numbers. If its not really close, it's a mystery metal.

how do you do that in the field? you have a graduated cylinder and fluid, and a accurate scale? i KNOW none of those can be done by sight. I never saw that done in my fathers shop. so i am curious.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    ill add this. buying precious metals from the back of a car is no different than buying a gun.

the gun could be stolen, non functional (fake) etc or the deal of a lifetime. the difference is at least the gun has a serial number and you can check and see if its stolen.

just keep that in mind.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    no joke? that doesnt look like a specific gravity/water displacement test? it doesnt look like a visual test, and it doesnt look like a weighing by hand test, or a mould stamp, purity stamp or certificate.

what an interesting post.

scratchhead.gif

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    When did this thread become less about the validity of the OP's sale, and more about mcinfantry's alleged credentials? How does this at all apply to the situation between the buyer and seller?

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom