Mosin Nagant bolt movement

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I use russian milsurp that's declared corrosive. Same with the 5.45 in my AK.

It's not as bad as many people think. I haven't cleaned my AK since the end of November, and I've put probably 20 mags through it since then. 600 rounds I guess, we'll call it. The Mosin I shot much less through, but I always cleaned it after shooting. The AK though I'm kind of just "testing" to see how it goes, and checking on it every couple days. Ain't no thing.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Since you just picked up your first Mosin Nagant there is a link that you need to put in your favorites it will give you more info on Mosin's than any other site.
    Great link.

http://7.62x54r.net/

Super site. I just spent a while browsing, and will have to go back. I picked up some more addresses to send my C&R to, and saw lots of information that I need to take time to read.

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    I've used milsurp ammo, declared to be "mildly corrosive" with no ill effects, but I cleaned it pretty thoroughly after shooting.
    I also bought a couple hundred rounds of the S&B 180gr softpoints when the price was still low. Brass, boxer primed... shoot great out of my carbine. Usually get 1-1/2" groups at 50yds with my 50-something yr old presbiopic eyesight:rolleyes:.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it for hunting anything short of moose, as long as the range wasn't excessive.. not many moose in Texas, though. :D If I could figure out how to mount a scope on it, it'd be an almost perfect beater hunting rifle. (of course I'd have to put some kind of recoil pad on that metal clad 2X4 butt :shocked:) I've toyed with the idea of a scout scope type of thing, but haven't made it past the planning stages yet.
    I've also shot some of the russian 204gr soft point stuff that is steel case, berdan primed. It shoots well, also, but has a little more thump when the trigger is pulled.

I'm debating the scope option. On one hand I want to keep the rifle as close to being authentic as possible, but on the other hand, I'd like a scope on it. Decisions, decisions! :)

Jguid54

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I was thinking about getting the ATI Monte Carlo stock, ATI scope mount, and sending my bolt off to have it bent down. Especially because this isn't a rare Mosin, it's actually the most common one found. Although, the ATI stuff that I've dealt with in the past was always junk in the end. I'll have to shoot it how it is now and see if it will be worth doing a couple hundred dollars of work to.

hornetguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Allen, Texas
    that's my thinking, too. Can't see throwing much money at it.
    It's worth putting a scope on, if you can figure out how to mount it without it being in the way of the bolt handle. Somebody makes a kit with a cantilevered mount that hangs it over the bolt, where you have to hacksaw off the bolt handle and drill and tap a couple of holes and bolt on a new turned down handle.
    I've toyed with putting a synthetic stock on it (40-50 dollars?) but I think I'll just modify the butt and install some type of recoil pad. I don't think I'm a wimp, recoil wise, but this thing sort of hurts after about 15-20 rounds. Squared off, sharp edges don't make for a comfortable push against your shoulder.
    I'm thinking this one of mine might be scary accurate with a scope. It shoots tight groups at 50yds with open sights... gotta be better with a scope.

I've also got an old 91 (I think..it's the long one) The bore looks like the proverbial sewer pipe, though.:( I've shot it on one occasion, and was surprised that it was still "hunting" accurate. Nothing like the carbine, though.

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    Go to youtube.com and do a search on mosin nagant scope. There are a few different ways to add a scope to them. Mine is a 91/30. Going shoot it Saturday for the first time. :D I may consider bringing something to pad my shoulder with. My brother suggested a couple of my wife's bras. LOL I said "Like I'm going to go to a shooting range with a bunch of macho guys with guns and camo and pickup trucks and such, and I show up with bras pinned to my shoulder?? I don't think so!" LOL

hornetguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Allen, Texas
    Go to youtube.com and do a search on mosin nagant scope. There are a few different ways to add a scope to them. Mine is a 91/30. Going shoot it Saturday for the first time. :D I may consider bringing something to pad my shoulder with. My brother suggested a couple of my wife's bras. LOL I said "Like I'm going to go to a shooting range with a bunch of macho guys with guns and camo and pickup trucks and such, and I show up with bras pinned to my shoulder?? I don't think so!" LOL

not to mention the wrath visited on you by your wife after you show the world her padded bras..:rofl:

You'd be better off taking her favorite dishtowel. :D

oh.. I will check out u-tube this evening... can't do that at work. Our internet supervisors are amazingly unbalanced when it comes to what we can access at work. Streaming video is a no-no, though, because of bandwidth, I think.
    No video, no Facebook, no cigar sites, no gun/reloading sites... but we can access all the Nascar and WWF sites we want. :rolleyes:

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    not to mention the wrath visited on you by your wife after you show the world her padded bras..:rofl:

You'd be better off taking her favorite dishtowel. :D

oh.. I will check out u-tube this evening... can't do that at work. Our internet supervisors are amazingly unbalanced when it comes to what we can access at work. Streaming video is a no-no, though, because of bandwidth, I think.
    No video, no Facebook, no cigar sites, no gun/reloading sites... but we can access all the Nascar and WWF sites we want. :rolleyes:

LOL!!!

Top Bottom