Mossberg 500 ATP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I acquired a Mossberg 500 ATP from a friend of mine yesterday. I think he kept it outside the past 3 years. :( It has lot of rust on the outside/inside the barrel and the magazine tube. There is some rust in the receiver but I think it's just on the surface. There is also an extra barrel that is in pretty bad shape too. I think he started to shorten it and then gave up. It has a little notch in it. I don't know anything about shotguns so some advice is needed. I'm not looking to accessorize it I just want it to shoot.

So here's my questions
    1 Should I just order a new barrel? Mossberg websites has one for $78.
    2 What should I do with the magazine tube. It has BAD pitting on it.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    you can probably find barrels cheaper than the mossberg website list. As for the mag tube... I dont know much about refinishing metal, if you dont either, nows a good time to learn as any.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Keep in mind I just bought a 500A in like new condition (probably 98%) for $145 from a pawn shop in Denham. They had a variety of other 500s down to $110 in very good condition. Why spend a lot of money and effort refinishing it when you can just buy another one?

Money Matters pawn shop on Florida Blvd.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Gun Sports

Clean and Prep, maybe even glass blast it. then 80 bucks to have it all parked

Thanks for the link. Since their in DinkySprings I can just bring it by. You know anyone that can glass blast it if I go that route?

Anyone krylon their barrel before? Kind of wondering how it holds up. Hell I'm sure once I get her prettied up she won't be shot too often.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    From what I've read not as well as duracoat but not bad either.

I've got a .38 s&w made by iver johnson that went under in katrina. I soaked it in break free as soon as I could get it (it was my father-in-law's) and put it in a ziplock. I've cleaned the bore and cylinders with a brush and sprayed it probably 3 or 4 times since. Most of the rust came off and the cylinder will now turn again. I'm going to do the tranny fluid soon... Then I'll pick up a can of krylon that's close to bluing in color and give it a shot.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    about to do this. how long should i leave it soaking

A couple of days. Put it in a container and let it sit overnight. Take it out and wipe it down the next morning and see what you have. Keep repeating as necessary...

A friend of mine had most of his guns in St Bernard during Katrina. He was able to salvage all but one (a lever action) by doing this...

Top Bottom