Mossberg 500 ATP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I acquired a Mossberg 500 ATP from a friend of mine yesterday. I think he kept it outside the past 3 years. :( It has lot of rust on the outside/inside the barrel and the magazine tube. There is some rust in the receiver but I think it's just on the surface. There is also an extra barrel that is in pretty bad shape too. I think he started to shorten it and then gave up. It has a little notch in it. I don't know anything about shotguns so some advice is needed. I'm not looking to accessorize it I just want it to shoot.

So here's my questions
    1 Should I just order a new barrel? Mossberg websites has one for $78.
    2 What should I do with the magazine tube. It has BAD pitting on it.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    you can probably find barrels cheaper than the mossberg website list. As for the mag tube... I dont know much about refinishing metal, if you dont either, nows a good time to learn as any.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Keep in mind I just bought a 500A in like new condition (probably 98%) for $145 from a pawn shop in Denham. They had a variety of other 500s down to $110 in very good condition. Why spend a lot of money and effort refinishing it when you can just buy another one?

Money Matters pawn shop on Florida Blvd.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Gun Sports

Clean and Prep, maybe even glass blast it. then 80 bucks to have it all parked

Thanks for the link. Since their in DinkySprings I can just bring it by. You know anyone that can glass blast it if I go that route?

Anyone krylon their barrel before? Kind of wondering how it holds up. Hell I'm sure once I get her prettied up she won't be shot too often.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    From what I've read not as well as duracoat but not bad either.

I've got a .38 s&w made by iver johnson that went under in katrina. I soaked it in break free as soon as I could get it (it was my father-in-law's) and put it in a ziplock. I've cleaned the bore and cylinders with a brush and sprayed it probably 3 or 4 times since. Most of the rust came off and the cylinder will now turn again. I'm going to do the tranny fluid soon... Then I'll pick up a can of krylon that's close to bluing in color and give it a shot.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    about to do this. how long should i leave it soaking

A couple of days. Put it in a container and let it sit overnight. Take it out and wipe it down the next morning and see what you have. Keep repeating as necessary...

A friend of mine had most of his guns in St Bernard during Katrina. He was able to salvage all but one (a lever action) by doing this...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Par7485
    Top Bottom