Most comfortable type of stock for a Bolt Action?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I've got a couple of pieces of Walnut and Maple that I'd like to turn into rifle stocks.

A full-stock with a thumbhole, on a floated barrel, seems like the pinnacle to me, have always loved the old-old school look of the wood to the front of the barrel and the feel and control of a thumbhole.

I am not set on which Bolt Action to use, and I am looking to trade for one.

My thought is that 99% of my hunting will be from a stand or box, supported, so the extra weight is not very important, will reduce recoil a little, and the full stock will remove any transition from stock to barrel that hunters often have to consider in a stand/box when setting up their shots/follow-ups.

What is your favorite kind of rifle stock?

PhalanX-SS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2021
    Folsom, La
    I would say go for the aesthetics. If you're going to put the time into shaving out a stock, you want something eye catching.

That being said, I'm not sure thumbhole would be the best option, due the stresses involved and the grain patterns. It would suck to see a crack forming in some you labored many hours over.

On a side note, leather dye works really well as a stain. After some research on m14forum.com, I went that route while I was redoing an old tiger strip m14 stock. Walnut and maple (probably?) dont require a whole lot. I had good results with the starbrite complete teak care kit.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I would say go for the aesthetics. If you're going to put the time into shaving out a stock, you want something eye catching.

That being said, I'm not sure thumbhole would be the best option, due the stresses involved and the grain patterns. It would suck to see a crack forming in some you labored many hours over.

On a side note, leather dye works really well as a stain. After some research on m14forum.com, I went that route while I was redoing an old tiger strip m14 stock. Walnut and maple (probably?) dont require a whole lot. I had good results with the starbrite complete teak care kit.
    I had similar thoughts on the thumbhole and thought that I may reinforce it with a long deck screw, but I will definitely think hard before I make cuts.

And there are probably better choices than a deck screw lol....

Top Bottom