Movement underway lobbying for adding non-app based radio to smartphones

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd be willing to pay a small fee to get this activated....In the event of an emergency, this could be a really great way to get vital information to more people....internet services, cell towers, and TV stations can be knocked out during natural disasters; radio is sometimes the only way people in the affected areas can receive news....This seems like a no brainer- especially when we are one of the few (if any) developed countries where this service isn't currently available standard issue.:dunno:

Yeah, yeah- I know...."Just get a radio." But why not do this? One less thing to have to keep batteries for, IMHO....

Hope it happens. :x:

http://www.radiorocksmyphone.com/default.asp

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    How many spare batteries do you have for your phone?

I'll take a handheld AM/FM that takes AA or AAA over something on my phone that is just going to kill it unless I have a means to recharge it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    How do you think the radio gets transmitted to the smartphone? They would have to build an FM tuner into future phones for this to work.

According to what I heard yesterday on the local FM station pushing this, the FM radio chips are already in most smartphones; the carriers won't activate them simply because they will stand to make nothing off them since the radio would no longer be part of their data plans.

Maybe they're incorrect. :dunno:

But that's what they said. :)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    How many spare batteries do you have for your phone?

I'll take a handheld AM/FM that takes AA or AAA over something on my phone that is just going to kill it unless I have a means to recharge it.

I have several car chargers, a solar charger, and a charger that runs off of AA batteries, FWIW.

Plus, one of my best buddies is an electrical guru, so I'd find a way, anyway. :D

But Hell- In MY case, if the power is out long enough to where my cellphone battery itself dies during the ordeal, we'll probably be at the point of widespread canibalism, anyway, so.....:chuckles:

Last edited:

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    How do you think the radio gets transmitted to the smartphone? They would have to build an FM tuner into future phones for this to work.

My HTC Incredible 2 already has a built in FM receiver. There is nothing preventing them from doing what oleheat suggests, technologically speaking, but it would probably raise the price of the phones considerably to put a AM or FM transceiver in them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom