Moving a Gun Safe...?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    Bought a Cannon 36 Gun safe (750 lbs.)...how is it best to move it from the store to my house and into the house?
    Not sure where to put it...back bedroom is my first choice, next to an exterior wall.
    Would it be good to place it in my garage? The garage gets hot in the summer, and cold in the winter.
    Thanks!
    Bulldog...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'd say no to garage as the humidity will wreak havoc. Inside is best and for that you'll need a sturdy hand truck and someone to help you out. Make sure your doorways/hallways are large enough to accommodate the width.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You want to put it in a secure and temperature stable room. As far as moving it, you will be amazed at the items that an iced down case of beer will move! With the power of facebook and a game on, it's almost magical.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Truck bed works great for the haul, lay it on its back on a thick piece of cardboard.....STRAP it down and secure it firmly......once you get home, you will need to get really close to a door.....the one closest place to final install.....once inside lay down a thick piece of cardboard and stand safe on cardboard......this helps it slide easily and wont scuff floors.....of course if you have an EXTREMELY heavy duty dolly you wont need the cardboard...I thought mine was heavyduty until I put a 700+lb safe on it......
    Best of luck!

1funvet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Westlake LA
    You might look into renting an appliance dolly to help move it.I agree with Didley on location.Also in your garage,more people are likely to notice it and this could cause a problem.You bedroom will be more secure.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    A furniture dolly works well..you can rent one at a local equipment rental outlet and it will save your back. Some thick furniture pads wrapped around the safe to protect the walls is also a good idea. When you get it set in place you will want to mark the holes in the floor of the safe on the surface (carpet/wood/concrete) so you can install concrete anchors to lock your safe down. Two burglars with a hand truck can move it out in a few minutes. Anchor it down.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Furniture dolly is good, but you still need help supporting it. That's what we used the first time I moved my safe in. The second time we used cardboard and "walked" it down the hall and into the office. If it's easy enough to take the door off, it can make the job easier, as the door weighs a lot, but it can be awkward and might not be worth it. I had to take the handle off to fit mine through doorways. Just make sure you have enough help.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I need to anchor mine down... I never did because I didnt want to ruin the carpet and we know we don't want to live in this house much after the kiddo is out of high school. Plus the safe is in a corner the dining room. not like it was in a closet. We don't use the dining room with only three of us. We eat at the dinette table in the kitchen.

tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    I had the same problems. We bought a cannon safe from tractor supply and couldn't lift it on the dolly so we used and old comforter and my wife and I slid it across the whole house. It seemed to work great.

ewebb10

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Truck bed works great for the haul, lay it on its back on a thick piece of cardboard.....STRAP it down and secure it firmly......once you get home, you will need to get really close to a door.....the one closest place to final install.....once inside lay down a thick piece of cardboard and stand safe on cardboard......this helps it slide easily and wont scuff floors.....of course if you have an EXTREMELY heavy duty dolly you wont need the cardboard...I thought mine was heavyduty until I put a 700+lb safe on it......
    Best of luck!

What happens if you don't strap it down? :dogkeke:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Bulldog,

Don't laugh but we use golf balls. One of the safe guys told us about it and I have a 5 gallon bucket of golf balls just for that use. You and some friends can get it in a house and stand it up, we put the balls on the floor leaned the safe back put them under the safe and you will be amazed at how easy it is to move it. You just got to keep putting the balls back in front for the safe to ride on. Of find a furniture dolly with caster wheels that can handle 750 lbs. The important part is the dolly can't extend past the side of the safe because it won't make the turns into the rooms if it does. Been there already. As always Good Luck.

Beauxdog

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Furniture dolly is good, but you still need help supporting it. That's what we used the first time I moved my safe in. The second time we used cardboard and "walked" it down the hall and into the office. If it's easy enough to take the door off, it can make the job easier, as the door weighs a lot, but it can be awkward and might not be worth it. I had to take the handle off to fit mine through doorways. Just make sure you have enough help.

"I had the same problems. We bought a cannon safe from tractor supply and couldn't lift it on the dolly so we used and old comforter and my wife and I slid it across the whole house. It seemed to work great. "

Go to a carpet store get some old carpet out of the dumpster cut out what you need. Make it longer, 8 foot longer and as wide tour safe, use the long side to pull and push once in place you can cut and leave some under or pull it all out. Harvey duty to slid with safe on it.

Last edited:

jussaddwata

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Prairieville
    I had the same problems. We bought a cannon safe from tractor supply and couldn't lift it on the dolly so we used and old comforter and my wife and I slid it across the whole house. It seemed to work great.

Moving blankets worked great for us...we slid that safe where ever we wanted it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    This, or roll it on metal pipes. Dolly is a PITA.

Bulldog,

Don't laugh but we use golf balls. One of the safe guys told us about it and I have a 5 gallon bucket of golf balls just for that use. You and some friends can get it in a house and stand it up, we put the balls on the floor leaned the safe back put them under the safe and you will be amazed at how easy it is to move it. You just got to keep putting the balls back in front for the safe to ride on. Of find a furniture dolly with caster wheels that can handle 750 lbs. The important part is the dolly can't extend past the side of the safe because it won't make the turns into the rooms if it does. Been there already. As always Good Luck.

Beauxdog

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    You want to put it in a secure and temperature stable room. As far as moving it, you will be amazed at the items that an iced down case of beer will move! With the power of facebook and a game on, it's almost magical.

That's how I did it. It worked like a charm, never mind one person involved had to see a chiropractor and I had to see an orthopedic the next day.

Top Bottom