Moving a Gun Safe...?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    We used manpower to get it through the door then used a blanket to slide on the wood floor. Now the big question is how to I get it up a flight of stairs? (newly refinished and expensive stairs at that)

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I don't know what your floors are like. I had a friend who was a locksmith, and safe guy. He would put a lot of marble sized ball bearings on the floor and roll the safe along. You may be able to do something similar. (Maybe short pieces of iron pipe) Make a rail system that you can roll on. Picking up what is behhind and moving it to the front or sides. etc. Use your imagination.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I use 4 pieces of heavy gauge 3" PVC pipe. Each piece is cut to 24 inches.
    Its the same golf ball trick but extremely manageable.
    The safe rolls on 3 pieces and the 4th piece gets rotated back to front as you move along.

3inchs because the height is the winning ticket here. 3 inches will get you over door sills and floor transitions.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I've heard the golf gall trick. Also a friend bought 4 or 5 wood dowels and cut them the depth of the safe. He tilted the safe and rolled them under until the safe was off the floor and completely on the dowels. Then rolled it on the dowels. As the safe rolled off of the back dowel he'd reposition it in front so it would roll onto it. He keep repositioning the dowels back to front and moved it where he needed it. I don't know how many turns he had but he swears his floors were fine.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Here is a tip- get a true outdoor dolly. I used to have an inflatable party rentals business (waterslides, bounce houses) and for it I had a true heavy duty outdoor dolly. It had 4 14" pneumatic tires and was specifically designed to haul around a lot of weight every day. It wasn't cheap (about $1000) but was many times better than any other dolly at moving big heavy stuff. Maybe check with a local bouncer rental and see if they will rent you their dolly for a couple hours. Much easier than any furniture dolly or appliance dolly- I have both and used neither to move my safe.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Tip 2- you can never anchor/ secure it good enough. If you have a concrete slab, anchor it. Renting a hilti drill can get expensive quick plus you have to buy a bit. I bought a harbor freight hammer drill on sale for less than $50 with a few bits included and it made short work of drilling in the concrete. Also, I have actually used the drill quite a bit for other things.
    Make sure it is against a wall and hard to get something around it. Backwoods theives will try to wrap a chain around it and yank it thru the wall I the house to be opened up somewhere else. Don't think this is overboard, it is routinely done to ATMs and coke machines and the value they will get out of a coke machine I s a lot less than what is in you safe. Mine is in a corner of a closet not close to a window and has strips around it to keep anything from getting behind the safe from any angle without literally tearing the wall itself out first.

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    OK...I gots a plan...
    1. Tractor supply places safe in back of pickup, on cardboard and laying safe flat on it's back.
    2. Get to house, slide safe off of tailgate onto caster roller frame.
    3. Roll safe to front door, slide off caster rollers onto floor sliders, slide and remove caster roller frame and add more floor sliders.
    (House floor is raised at doorway, I plan to add height to caster roller frame one inch above floor height to allow safe to slide into house onto the floor sliders.)
    4. Slide safe to rear bedroom next to exterior wall...
    5. Fill will guns...Lots and lots of guns... ;-)

Questions:
    Best way to lower safe off of tailgate...lots of bodies, highschool football players?
    Will two strong guys lowering, and one hanging onto the safe from the bed of the truck be sufficient?
    Or do I need more to lower the 580 lb. safe onto the caster roller frame?

Have I missed anything?
    Thanks!
    Bulldog...

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    One problem I see with that. If there is a point where you're tailgate is supporting 100% of the load it may give out. That's allot on a tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    knguyen
    Top Bottom