Murdaugh case evidence

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Can't seem to find an answer to this. Some sources say old spent casings from a .300 Blackout rifle at the Murdaugh property MATCH the casings at the murder scene. The actual murder weapons are missing. Question - does every rifle leave UNIQUE markings on the case after firing? Or can two identical rifles produced fired casings that are so identical that it cannot be determined which gun fired which casing? (not counting some defect in the gun, which would leave unique markings) Prosecution says each is unique, defense says it is not proven science that fired casings are ALWAYS unique, and can be used like fingerprints or DNA to absolutely match a casing to a specific gun. Does anyone know for sure?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hard to say for certain, but there’s info to support that. Also the reason that semi recent gun legislation demanded gun manufacturers implement a micro stamp tech into firing pins to ID casings in the event they were used in a crime. So, yes. How successful forensic experts have been in tying casings to guns and proving anything else about a crime solely based on that evidence is far from bullet proof (excuse the pun). A good defense attorney may be able to cast plenty of that “reasonable doubt” that jurors are bound by.
    All in all, the only undeniable ammo:gun:crime related evidence that seems to be immune to reasonable doubt is a slug either dug from a body or found still having the body’s DNA on it. That’s not my opinion, but a statement from someone I briefly worked with from LSP crime lab years ago.

Last edited:

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Prosecutor just said, in closing arguments, that the spent shotgun shells and .300 Blackout rifle cases at the murder scene cannot be proved to have come from the family guns. BUT that those guns fired the fatal shots CANNOT be EXCLUDED either.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Prosecutor just said, in closing arguments, that the spent shotgun shells and .300 Blackout rifle cases at the murder scene cannot be proved to have come from the family guns. BUT that those guns fired the fatal shots CANNOT be EXCLUDED either.
    Well there ya go. Reasonable doubt.

Top Bottom