My 2013 hurricane generator upgrade coming soon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I am in the process of upgrading my generator setup for the upcoming 2013 season. I am doing this because both my elderly in laws and my elderly mother have trouble with the heat. Doing the upgrade will allow me to either run mywcentral AC or I will buy 3-4 10,000BTU AC window units to keep them comfortable. So, trying to be the good son / son in law, what I am doing is buying a Coleman Powermate portable 12.5KW generator (22HP Suburu V twin engine) and will add a trifuel kit to it. I am already getting the parish to upgrade my NG meter to a higher CUFT/hr meter to cover the demand. I also just figured out the my control valves on my NG pipes were installed wrong and have upgraded to larger ID valves for this purpose.

So what is everyone doing in preparation for this year?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I am in the process of upgrading my generator setup for the upcoming 2013 season. I am doing this because both my elderly in laws and my elderly mother have trouble with the heat. Doing the upgrade will allow me to either run mywcentral AC or I will buy 3-4 10,000BTU AC window units to keep them comfortable. So, trying to be the good son / son in law, what I am doing is buying a Coleman Powermate portable 12.5KW generator (22HP Suburu V twin engine) and will add a trifuel kit to it. I am already getting the parish to upgrade my NG meter to a higher CUFT/hr meter to cover the demand. I also just figured out the my control valves on my NG pipes were installed wrong and have upgraded to larger ID valves for this purpose.

So what is everyone doing in preparation for this year?

Just keeping food and water on hand i have a big enough generator to power my fridge deep freezer and my 110 ac unit for my bedroom its not fine living but it works until the power comes back on. Usually don't run it during the day just at night and I keep the freezer and fridge as cold as possible making sure no one opens it unless they absoutly have to. I also freeze a bunch of bottles of water before a storm and keep them in the freezer and fridge when the power goes out to help keep everything cold. Other than that all i have to do is get my propane tank refilled and I am gtg.

Is the set up your going to be running on natural gas? I've heard they are the way to go just never looked into them.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Procured longer hose to feed LPG and longer lead for electricity. Was relegated to running generator outside the back door of the garage, now can set it up out front or back, depending on wind and rain conditions.

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    I have recently installed a 6 circuit manual transfer switch to my house. Very nice. I roll out the generator under the carport and plug the 30amp cord, from the generator, into the outside plug. from the outside plug I have 10/3 wg running to my transfer switch mounted next to my panel. I have chosen 6 circuits from the main panel and connected them to the transfer switch. It makes for a very easy and clean setup. no extension cords running all over the place and you don't have to keep the window open to run the main extension cord into the house. picked it up from northerntool.com for 299.00. I'm with eatel so if I have power I have cable, internet, and telephone service. very happy with the setup.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I installed a tri fuel kit on my gen set ... With your help,

Looking to add 79 ft of underground pe pipe to my carport so I can have a natural gas connection near my generator. That's it for this season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I have recently installed a 6 circuit manual transfer switch to my house. Very nice. I roll out the generator under the carport and plug the 30amp cord, from the generator, into the outside plug. from the outside plug I have 10/3 wg running to my transfer switch mounted next to my panel. I have chosen 6 circuits from the main panel and connected them to the transfer switch. It makes for a very easy and clean setup. no extension cords running all over the place and you don't have to keep the window open to run the main extension cord into the house. picked it up from northerntool.com for 299.00. I'm with eatel so if I have power I have cable, internet, and telephone service. very happy with the setup.

Just did this same upgrade this weekend. If you have a basic understanding of electrical stuff and take proper precaution it is an easy DIY job. It even afforded me the time draw up a clear and proper breaker box label system.

179086_10151465615790805_1732116825_n.jpg

Top Bottom