My (Early) Nomination For "Stupidest Police of 2012"...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    SANTA MARIA, Calif. (AP) — A police officer under investigation for sexual misconduct with a teenage minor was shot and killed while on duty by fellow officers Saturday as they tried to arrest him on California's central coast, authorities said.

http://news.yahoo.com/officer-shot-killed-fellow-police-calif-011712475.html

Link above, Full-text story below comments...

My nomination goes unexpectedly to those handling this rather than the subject of the story.

Why you don't arrest a cop on duty:

1. A cop who is in fact a criminal is less likely to surrender than an ordinary cop

2. A cop on duty is already in a confrontation mindset and is less "plyable" in the field while manning his post (adding gasoline to the fires of #1 and #3)

3. Arresting an officer while manning his post projects a horrible image to the public regarding police integrity

4. *** Pulling this stunt needlessly subjects the public to a hazardous and potentially catestrophic scenario in the middle of the street (see story)

STORY:

The officer was manning a DUI checkpoint when the shooting occurred shortly after 1 a.m. He was declared dead after emergency surgery at Marian Medical Center, Santa Maria police Chief Danny Macagni said in a statement.

The officer, a four-year Santa Maria department veteran, had just learned of the internal investigation of an alleged sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl, and it became necessary to arrest him immediately, Macagni said.

"We had no choice," Macagni said in video of an afternoon news conference posted by KCOY-TV. He said investigators had evidence "that demanded that we go out and take this officer off the street immediately."

Supervising officers were sent to make a felony arrest, but he struggled with them when they arrived, first putting up a physical fight, then firing his gun but hitting no one, Macagni said.

"He chose to resist, he drew his weapon, a fight ensued, he fired his weapon," the chief said.

Several officers came to help the police making the arrest, and one of them shot the suspected officer in the chest once, Macagni said.

Detectives had begun investigating the alleged relationship on Thursday night, and minutes before the shooting had confirmed that an "inappropriate" and "very explicit" relationship had been going on, Macagni said.

He said he could not give details because of the sensitivity of the investigation, but "there was some witness intimidation involved" and the arrest couldn't wait for a more proper time or place.

"The information that we had in hand demanded that we not let him leave that scene, get in a car, drive somewhere, it would put the public at risk," Macagni said at the news conference. "We just did not know what was going to happen, we did not expect him to react the way that he did."

Macagni said police had expressed condolences to the officer's family.

The officer who fired the fatal shot, an eight-year department veteran, has been placed on administrative leave, and the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department was investigating the shooting, Macagni said.

The name of the officer killed has not been released because some family members were still being notified, and the name of the officer who fired the shot was withheld while the incident was under investigation, police said.

Santa Maria is a city of some 100,000 people about 60 miles northwest of Santa Barbara and 160 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

More brass posturing for some ill-advised political agenda (and/or sheer idiocy at its finest). Pull the officer off the line and recall him back to the station on an unrelated note. Once isolated from people who could be hurt or that could escalate the situation (cheers, etc.), confront and arrest officer at the station where officer is psychologically more responsive to authority than in field. If he doesn't respond to "unrelated task," supervisors can make the attempt on the spot as last-ditch resort.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Sigh.

Did you not read the entire piece? Him learning of the investigation forced their hand. The part about "witness intimidation" is important too. When the spokesman said they had to move fast, it usually means the suspect officer has the means and the will to makes witnesses disappear or clam up. Recall him back to the station? After he has just learned he is the target of an investigation? And you think he'll just meekly go... right?:rolleyes:

"Stunt"? Get real. Arresting your own is one of the hardest parts of the job. Not necessarily because it hurts you personally, but because you're dealing with an armed person who has demonstrated at least a modicum of proficiency with his/her weapon... and who knows how YOU think and are likely to act.

I don't know what the "rest of the story" is here, and neither do you. Unlike you, however, I have been in a similar position; in fact, I did the investigation.

I so love it when righteously indignant citizens tell us all how the job SHOULD have been done...

I'm not being a smart ass here my friend... But how many minutes did it take you to waste your time here? You know as well as I do, it went in one ear and out the other with some of these morons. ;)

*shrugs* As far as the OP goes, to me even police work is human. Foresight, hindsight... None of it relates to this arm chair civilian Monday morning quarter backing because you cannot plan for every single last "what if". SHTF no matter what you do. It's a matter of when, not if.

But since it was raised. I do have an honest question here that puzzles me.

Back to you Steve: Would he go meekly? Well.... Yeah. He only banged a 17 year old. I know. I know. The law is the law but this isn't exactly abusing your girlfriend's toddler daughter either. I mean... Well you know what I mean, I'm sure. Had he known he was about to be arrested for molesting a very young child, I could see this reaction. He would understand how that would go in court and how he'd be treated once he's behind bars. A young woman in all but legal age? *shrugs* You don't see married teachers trying to kill when they're arrested for having sex with high school students.

Anyway, no. Maybe not meekly but I damned sure wouldn't have expected an arrest to end up in a fire fight. I can't imagine the arresting officers thought it would have either.

Obviously I haven't been in that position and I don't comprehend an officer's mindset. For all I know, that's exactly what the arresting officers expected and I'll have learned something new tonight. I know the individual does "change" once the uniform goes on and he goes out the door, no longer "Dad" and "spouse". But are dirty cops really that dangerous? I hate to say it, but I thought it was only in the movies when dirty cops will kill their own rather than be arrested at any cost or for any reason.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    That's crazy. And to think that 17 is legal here in LA. And in Alaska it's 16. Not condoning, just sayin

That's what boggles my mind. Taking the arresting officers response out of the equation (to me that was a non-issue, and worth no debate. They acted appropriately) How exactly was his reaction going to help? . He'd be fired. Realistically he'd probably only do a couple years behind bars, especially if he plea bargained plus good behavior. Moreso if his file was clean up to that point. He'd lose his wife, definitely.

But the minute he pulled his weapon, all of that went off the table. Attempted murder? Shooting a cop? Again if it was a very sickening sex crime, I could understand that reaction. Abusing a toddler, and you need your balls set fire. No question. I do believe it'd be fair to require him to be a registered sex offender. But his reaction was, pardon the pun, over kill considering what the escalation caused, and what he was probably realistically looking at.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying I wouldn't be furious at a grown man taking advantage of my dumb little horny teenager. I'd be livid and as a mother, I'd want to de-nut you myself. But on a legal scale, it's just not the same as if you came after my under 8 year old (for example).

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    If you consider Waco and Ruby Ridge to be the same sort of incident, you don't have a clue.

Gotta agree. We have no idea what the officer was planning to do once he got in a car and left his post. Seems they did, and they acted the only responsible way they knew how. Why should they be blamed for the stupidity and crime of another?

further, did everyone miss the part where this WASN'T all about sex with a minor?

He said he could not give details because of the sensitivity of the investigation, but "there was some witness intimidation involved" and the arrest couldn't wait for a more proper time or place.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    We don't know WHAT he did. Obviously, it was one hell of a lot more serious than him banging some willing almost-of-legal-age nymph. That sort of thing goes on a lot more than you would suspect. It damn sure isn't worth an on-duty arrest... and even the most glory-hungry senior administrator has got to know the potential issues that go along with an on-duty arrest... up to what happened here, and beyond.

No, I think there is a LOT here we're aren't being told. Or else that department's senior brass is the most retarded, inept bunch anyone has ever seen.

Come to think of it, that is not beyond the realm of possibility. It IS, after all, southern Kalifornia.... :D

Well that makes sense. Because I just couldn't make heads or tails of this over "consensual" sex with a 17 year old. As I said to sandman, the arresting officer shooting this guy isn't even the issue that I have questions about. Obviously if they're being shot at, well then... It was the arrested individual I just can't figure out.

Unless it was forcible rape and he threatened to come back and kill her if she told. THAT certainly seems plausible with his reaction and their on-duty arrest. Anyway, you're right. As always, we never know the entire tale based on a news article.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Rape is rape. Whether it be forced or statutory. At least under the eyes if the law. What probably happened is he was banging this 17 year old girl, parents found out, confronted cop, cop threatened, parents filed report. That's just my opinion, but to me seems like the most likely situation.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

"The information that we had in hand demanded that we not let him leave that scene, get in a car, drive somewhere, it would put the public at risk," Macagni said at the news conference. "We just did not know what was going to happen, we did not expect him to react the way that he did."

Why they did it is right there in the article. I don't see how things could have been done any differently. The officer obviously had a screw loose, I guess they didn't realize just how few threads were still hanging on.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    It is indeed a ''weirdly written'' deal..and for them to say,we did not expect him to react the way he did..Just tell's me that someone is a bit out of touch...Kommiefornia...still amazes me with the crap they come up with...
    Why they did it is right there in the article. I don't see how things could have been done any differently. The officer obviously had a screw loose, I guess they didn't realize just how few threads were still hanging on.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

Yeah, this.

IMHO, the evidence to justify their decision to arrest him while on duty and on post is present in his reaction. We don't need any more of the story (barring a radical turn of events) to realize that...

Dude started a gunfight in public with armed officers. I'd say that's a dangerous individual with very little keeping him from committing acts of violence as he sees fit.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Suicide by coworker.

Interesting that California having an 18 year old age of consent. Maybe related to their movie business, child actors & tons of young "women" flocking out there each year just waiting for some one to take advantage of them.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Rape is rape. Whether it be forced or statutory. At least under the eyes if the law. What probably happened is he was banging this 17 year old girl, parents found out, confronted cop, cop threatened, parents filed report. That's just my opinion, but to me seems like the most likely situation.

I disagree with this on an emotional level.

Does it screw a girl's mind up when she is very young, under the age of ten? There's no doubt she has life long repercussions from molestation either from fondling or worse.

Does it leave a girl with confused "issues" when she's 12 and "sort of" kinda consents? Yes. The authoritative/child figure has been screwed six ways to Sunday and it's something she will NEVER get over entirely. Honestly, I'd predict she'd set herself up to be a doormat for any deadbeat that comes by in the future. And that too is rape in my opinion. It might not be sexually violent rape, but he's done the damage that will remain with her forever.

When a 17 year old consents to sex, I don't believe she's going to have anything to learn except the different between appropriate and inappropriate behavior. I can't see any long lasting emotional trauma anymore. You can't smack "Rape" to a consensual relationship, regardless what the legal definitions of consensual might be.

The guy slime for preying on the naive, and stupid? He deserves a jail sentence. Trolling for younger women usually indicates they are fundamentally flawed and adult, wiser women who know their **** and wouldn't tolerate his. But I wouldn't say a somewhat simple 30+ year old banging a 17 year old is rape in any sense of the word. Not when a matter of weeks or months makes the difference between legal and illegal. The girl's mind doesn't change between 17 and 18.

Could anybody, regardless of age be raped when she has been non-violently forced? Yes. She doesn't have to say "no" for it to be rape. He could have used that authoritative figurehead to strongly encourage it. Hell, teenage boys do it all the time to girls who don't want to hurt their feelings. "If you love me, you'll have sex with me." When a much older man succeeds in strong arming them for sex, he becomes a predator. It's rape. But if she's crawling up his legs like some estrogenic crazed cat in heat....

Eh. It's semantics but I twitch every time I hear someone is being accused to statutory rape when it involves a teenager who is on the cusp of legal adulthood. It's not. Carnal Knowledge is a great term. It implies exactly what it indicates. Rape should be a powerful word that also implies exactly what something is or was. It's one of those words that should be used very carefully when you're dealing with these older teen/adult male relationships in my opinion.

If you have a 17 year old girl boohooing because she's lost her very first love and her parents don't understand sitting beside a 17 year old girl boohooing because she's terrified of what's going to happen because her parents discovered she was assaulted by her McDonald's boss after they were closing one night and both adult men are reported as charged with "rape" by the media... (let's hear it for run on sentences) In my opinion that helps perpetuate the social problems with rape right now and why women won't report it... why they've been assaulted again by lawyers when they DO come forward.

I'm sorry. It's just one of my pet peeves. Rape isn't rape just because the legal definition calls it such. For YOUR job to arrest someone who forgot to check her drivers license, it's illegal and as it stands, you're currently limited to the specific charges you must file. But it's not rape.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    FWIW: I have a 13 year old daughter. If it should happen one day I end up with a 15+ year old boohooing her heart out because she loves him and they're meant to be together and all of that other Twilight drama crap that girls are peeing their panties over lately... I'd be furious. I'd be livid. I'd want to throttle the guy. And I'd want to see him in front of a judge. But I can tell you, I wouldn't call it rape.

I'd be concerned she figures out when sex is appropriate. What intimacy means in a relationship and what kind of relationship is appropriate for intimacy. When it's right. But I wouldn't be concerned over whether or not she needs counseling, or piling her in the vehicle to haul her into an ER and demand a rape kit and following examination. When parents react this way they are creating an additional set of trauma.

Just my two cents. Now I'll crawl off my soapbox. I'm sorry. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom