My favorite hand gun face off

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which one(s) is your prefered handgun

• Total voters

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    1911 vs. Glock

Saw a thread similar to this on a another site and had some really great info in it so i thought i would try it here. They reasons people had to justify their choice one way or the other were quite interesting. (Granted most posts were of an adult nature and not the typical bs)

What do you own/ shoot regularly? If you have a preference for one over the other plz say why, and a just cause answer is not acceptable. If neither gun works for you why not? And what do you prefer and why?

For me I am a 1911 fan. I could go on for quite a bit as to why i like this gun but i will keep it simple. Fits well in my hand, highly accurate, very customizable to the individual user but rite out of the box still a great gun all around.

The glock has just never felt comfortable in my hand no matter how many variations on the gun i try. And that for me is enough to turn me off to any handgun. Also not a fan of the trigger at all. But due to its tremendous popularity i continue to try glock after glock maybe one day one will surprise me.

spicoli.j

Bowling Pin Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Houma
    I owned both, unfortunately I sold my 1911. Some folks don't care for the grip angles on a Glock, but it feels good to me. I also never had a problem switching between guns(as far as grip angle).

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    I respect the 1911 but I've only shoot Glocks cause I feel that its a very very reliable gun. But, thats my opinion.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    1911.jpg

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I prefer my 1911 b/c I know at even at a distance, I will still hit the bad guy. Although, I am carrying a G27 right now until I have a better holster for my 1911. I also do not need two hands to pull back the trigger on my 1911.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have seen a whole bunch of shitty 1911s with crappy out of spec parts. You have to make sure your 1911 is in tune and has "bet your life" parts.

Glocks work right out of the box without any concerns about parts quality or specs.
    See, that right there is why I don't like 1911s. A good buddy, grew up down the street from me, and the guy I shoot with most often, is a BIG 1911 fan. He owns several of them, from high-end Kimbers to base model Mil-Spec Springfields, and the ONLY one that has not required a trip to the gunsmith to get working properly is his Colt 70 Series that his father gave him for his 21st B-Day (and his first 1911)...
    It WAS a great design... A century ago... ;)

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The real issue is a Glock is $500 new, $400 used. I think the minimum price of entry for a decent 1911 is $1000, and it is really easy to spend $1500, $2000...

exactly my position. I had to purchase my current duty carry G17 out of my own pocket (chose to carry the glock, so I had to pay). Got it brand new with night sights for the price of a standard used gun thanks to LEO pricing. I dont know of a 1911 manufacture that sells guns to LEO's at basically dealer invoice like Glock. I think S&W has LEO pricing but only in certain states, Louisiana isn't one.

The other issue is my office doesn't allow single action pistols unless your SWAT.

for 4-500 you can have a rock solid Glock that should never disapoint. for 4-500 you can have a mediocre 1911.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    See, that right there is why I don't like 1911s. A good buddy, grew up down the street from me, and the guy I shoot with most often, is a BIG 1911 fan. He owns several of them, from high-end Kimbers to base model Mil-Spec Springfields, and the ONLY one that has not required a trip to the gunsmith to get working properly is his Colt 70 Series that his father gave him for his 21st B-Day (and his first 1911)...
    It WAS a great design... A century ago... ;)

I wouldn't go so far as to call Kimber 1911s "high end."

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't go so far as to call Kimber 1911s "high end."
    Its a Kimber Super Match II... Gun cost him around $1750 (MSRP of $2100 according to the inertwebz)... In my book that is high end... Sure its not a $3000 1911, but its still up there...

ETA: It's this one:
    large_supermatchII.jpg

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There are no high end Kimbers, only expensive Kimbers.

A $1700 Les Baer TRS is twice the gun that Kimber is...

Baer, Wilson, Brown, STI - Those are the guns to buy if you are dropping more than $1K.

Less than $1K - a basic Colt, but it should go to a smith for general tuning if you don't know what you are doing with them.

The 1911, for better or worse, lends itself to tinkering.
    My point in mentioning the Kimber is it was his most expensive, He does also have a Les Baer Custom Carry (that too has also required a trip to the gunsmith to be "tuned" i.e. make it stop jamming...")
    ETA: Ironically, it the Colt 70 series that has not been to the gunsmith for a tuning, and has worked flawlessly. However, it was used, so it may have been serviced before reaching his hands...

Last edited:

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    From my experience which is limited, im not that old, with 1911's most of the problems that people run into are self inflicted. They tinker and shouldn't and screw something up due to lack of knowledge and then blame the gun saying its crap.

Are there crappy 1911's? Sure there are, you can build anything cheap. Are they easy to spot? Again yeh. Do they tend to be costly? Definitely. But is it worth it? Imo after shooting a cheap $400 one and then comparing that to a well built $2000 one theres no comparison.

Sure there are guns that will do the job for far less money (although i dont consider a $2000 gun overly expensive for a quality firearm considering what it goes through with each round that goes through it and the reliability, feel, accuracy etc... i expect) as will a Ford Taurus get you around from point A to B but its alot more fun and enjoyable if the same ride is a Corvette.

Just my way of looking at it.

And Kade your side arm should be tax deductible im pretty sure since you paid for it.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Regarding Glocks and 1911s: awesome ones are awesome, and those that aren't, aren't.

I will eventually have a nice 1911 but I do not have one yet, it's only a matter of opportunity and time.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    your side arm should be tax deductible im pretty sure since you paid for it.

it was but that didnt mean much at the time when I was shelling out for it. We're about to switch to all Glocks, so I'm getting a free one. Sadly its gonna be a .40... but hell, at least its a Glock and not that damn Sig DAK they tried to give me.

I'm just gonna have to sneak some extended mag and slide releases on the issue gun and hope they dont notice... I'm spoiled with them now

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    it was but that didnt mean much at the time when I was shelling out for it. We're about to switch to all Glocks, so I'm getting a free one. Sadly its gonna be a .40... but hell, at least its a Glock and not that damn Sig DAK they tried to give me.

I'm just gonna have to sneak some extended mag and slide releases on the issue gun and hope they dont notice... I'm spoiled with them now

Just don't do like one of the Lafayette City Officers who let me shoot his Glock 23 at Barney's. He did his own 25 cent trigger job, and that was the ONLY Glock I have shot where I could NOT predict when the trigger was going to break and fire. I shot a whole mag, and it was truly scary.

Going back on topic, I own both Glocks and 1911s, including a G22 that could kaboom at any moment.... I wonder if I need to register it as a destructive device? :rofl:

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I own a couple of both and like both of them.
    I'm a little more accurate with the 1911 platfrom but I don't fully trust them.
    For me the Glock is more durable and reliable.

However I don't have any top self 1911's.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    pangris pretty much covered it all.

IMO, people aren't dumb for buying 1911's. And they're not dumb for buying Glocks. They're dumb for arguing which is better.

Glocks are the Toyota Camry of handguns. Cheap, reliable and get you point A to point B. Yours will be just like every other on the road. A 1911 is like a muscle car. Some people have shitty ones, some people have finely tuned works of art. They're older, but proven technology, and they may take a little more work to keep on the road (or not), but when they're right, they give you pleasure you'll never get from a Camry.

So what's the solution? If you can afford it, own both. Respect each for what it is and it's intended functionality.

And all that being said...I prefer the Springfield XD over the Glock anyway. Some people like HK, etc. I never understood why the debate always has to be Glock vs 1911. Why not "plastic striker fired guns vs 1911". Or why not just stop the whole retarded thing? Once you move past this brand vs that brand and can appreciate all firearms for what they do...that's when you become a real "gun guy" and not an identity seeking sheeple IMO. :)

Top Bottom