My first AR on order, Ruger AR-556

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    After researching, reading reviews, and procrastinating for a while I decided to go with the Ruger AR-556. Got it ordered this morning along with a few 30 round PMAGs, a Magpul MOE M-LOK handguard, 500 rounds of .223, and 120 rounds of 5.56 ammo. Any issues to worry about besides the threaded Delta ring issue? I will put anti-seize on the threads and avoid over tightning when I replace the handguard. Now just waiting on UPS, FedEx, and a phone call from the FFL.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I really like the looks of the Ruger. The only thing I will say is that a rifle needs a sling like a pistol needs a holster. I like the Viking Tactical 2 point sling.

Lastly, plan on going to a carbine course sometime in the near future. I have shot pistols heavily for the past several years, but only plinked a bit with my AR. Finally bit the bullet and went to a 2 day course. Walked away Sunday evening feeling way better about being able to use the rifle.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    I really like the looks of the Ruger. The only thing I will say is that a rifle needs a sling like a pistol needs a holster. I like the Viking Tactical 2 point sling.

Lastly, plan on going to a carbine course sometime in the near future. I have shot pistols heavily for the past several years, but only plinked a bit with my AR. Finally bit the bullet and went to a 2 day course. Walked away Sunday evening feeling way better about being able to use the rifle.

A sling is on my list to buy, but I had to give my debit card a break for now. I have had a Mini-14 for 10 years or so, thats why I haven't been in the market for an AR sooner. I have been spending more on concealed carry stuff lately, and still wanting a few older lever actions to add to the safe. I will look into the carbine course, thanks for the info.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA

The AR-556 delta ring doesn't have a spring, it screws on and off, not mil-spec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLnFn8UG-Y

Last edited:

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    20160329_054843.jpg

Thought I had read that somewhere.

Not a big deal. I changed mine out for a Diamond Hand VRS hand guard with no problems

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    Picked up my rifle today from the FFL and swapped out the hand guard with the Magpul. I'm trying to figure out what sling and mounting locations & type to buy. I may end up getting the Magpul CTL stock since it has the built in quick disconnects already. I'm think I'm set on a two point sling, but I am open for opinions. Hopefully tomorrow I can put some rounds on target.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Of the couple rails my gunamith had installed on AR556s....theyve been a bitch to get off. The barrel nut was torqued down so tight on one we shipped it back to ruger to get it off. Crazy.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Picked up my rifle today from the FFL and swapped out the hand guard with the Magpul. I'm trying to figure out what sling and mounting locations & type to buy. I may end up getting the Magpul CTL stock since it has the built in quick disconnects already. I'm think I'm set on a two point sling, but I am open for opinions. Hopefully tomorrow I can put some rounds on target.

Go with a MS3/MS4. Quickly change from a 2 to 1 point sling.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La

When I built my Bayou Shooter stripped lower I put a Magpul stock that had QD on it. So added one up front on the rail. And got a Magpul 2 point sling from Botach. I like that set up on it a lot. It sure is noce to be able to take it on off adjust easy. My only problem is i should have gotten 2 lowers maybe 3 lol

Top Bottom