My first digital camo job

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    I just picked up an xdm off of a fellow member. Wasn't in the best of cosmetic condition so I decided to do my first camo project. I've did several 2 tone and single color guns but my first attempt wasn't too bad. what ya'll think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    Thanks. Guate, I was gonna do my first camo on the hk that I got from you! I figured I would do my first one on something not quite as nice. So far the finish has held up well. I haven't put through it's paces just yet though. I have seen it done on hatchets, then chop wood and come out unharmed!!!!

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Looks good with one problem. You put large patches on large surfaces, long patches on long sections, and didn't cross over from the slide to the frame.

ETA: I guess that's 3 problems, but all 3 are related to the idea of "coloring inside the lines" that we are taught from a young age. It's hard to not do it.

Last edited:

slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    Thanks. And yea I forgot to mention that it is duracoat. It's not perfect in my eyes but I know my flaws and where I can do it perfect next time.

I'm starting to do this on the side between jobs. And if you local let me know, i'm doing them super super cheap, basically at cost of the coating. That way I can get my work out there and maybe one day have a booming duracoating business!

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So is duracoating just a finish you buy and install yourself? I always assumed it was something that had to be mailed in to the duracoat company to have done.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    So is duracoating just a finish you buy and install yourself? I always assumed it was something that had to be mailed in to the duracoat company to have done.

You can send off for the supplies/kit and DIY. Of the better coatings, Duracoat is supposed to be the most user friendly. There's even an Air Dry line, for ease of curing.

However, for best results, it's all about your prep work. And that's where the professional edge really comes into play, as well as their skill/experience with application. Unless you've got a blasting cabinet on hand, you'll be working really long and hard to match their work. Obviously, you can do a darn fine job of it yourself-- as per slick's work on this XD. It's typically in the durability department (if the gun will see hard use, lots of presentations, etc.) where the professional's deliver. YMMV, of course.

Top Bottom