My Morning At Honey Island

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Today a buddy was told that he could not shoot plates with his Thompson Center .44 magnum pistol. The RO's justification was that it was not a 'conventional' pistol.
    I filled out a comment form. On the form I suggested that they DEFINE what a conventional pistol is.

All good. Right ?

Nay. The RO working the desk said he agreed with the RO's interpretation.
    Had it ended there, all good. Right ?

Not a chance.

He then explained that 'a conventional pistol has a cylinder or a magazine.'

Inquired I, ' So I can't shoot the plates with a single shot .22 ?'

I WAS TOLD THAT NOBODY WAS ALLOWED TO SHOOT THE PLATES ON THE RIGHT WITH A .22 BECAUSE IT WON'T KNOCK THE PLATE DOWN AND IT WILL RICCOCHET.

Eighteen years I've been knocking down those plates with .22's. All of my buddies, the same. During shifts that this RO has worked, on the pistol line, and has never said anything.

NOTHING IN THE PUBLISHED RULES PROHIBITS .22'S ON THE PLATES.

The argument will be made here that a .22 is not a conventional hand gun round. The very first cartridge revolver, a S&W Model 1 was chambered in .22 short.
    Browning himself popularized the .22 semi auto pistol, and single shot .22s have been used in the Olympics for as long as my memory can recall.

This is supposed to be an NRA range. I've provided the range with a complete set of NRA range operations standards . No charge.

The NRA standard for .22LR on steel targets is 10 yards, minimum, in competitions.

To argue that a .22 is not in common enough usage to be considered 'conventional' is capricious and arbitrary.

To argue that a soft lead projectile is more likely to ricochet off hardened steel than an FMJ or a TMJ is just contrary to common sense, and eighteen years of experience. Every ricochet I've experienced has been an FMJ. (Yes they happen, and are harmless so long as you are wearing safety glasses.)

Most of my buddies tired of the Honey Island RO politics long ago. The recent schedule changes have only further aggravated other members.

A group has already began shooting 15 minutes North. I've joined that range, and will be joining them on Sunday mornings.

So, If you are looking for breakfast on a Sunday morning ; You'll know where to find me. Breakfast will be served around 0700.

Note* The RO's are volunteers. They donate their time to further the shooting sports. My grievances are how the range is being administered lately, and the arbitrary way the rules are suddenly being interpreted and enforced.

After Eighteen years, I'd like to thank the RO's. Most of y'all are great.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I received a phone call from the current Range Master.

While we disagree about the pistol issue, he states that .22 is perfectly fine to shoot on the plates.

He assures me that all range officers will be on this same page going forward.

He apologized for the actions of the Range Office at the desk, and hopes I will return.

I probably will.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I've had good and bad experiences there. I had a pistol caliber lever rifle that they wouldn't allow me to shoot the plates with but then to the left of me they were allowing a fellow to shoot an AR pistol on the 22lr side. He was mag dumping and shooting the dueling tree also. It seemed and RO asked them to slow their rate of fire but not much else.

That really kind of annoyed me. But hey, I don't run the place, so I looked passed it.

The hours they run now are not very accommodating. It almost seems not worth going with so few hours to shoot.

I think the place is only open 5 hours a day, 3 days a week, if I'm not mistaken.

Top Bottom