My new open gun for USPSA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    So you can't shoot USPSA for long without wanting an open gun. It's what all the cool kids have.
    However, at the Texas Open this year, I saw a down side to those guns. Dust is not kind to them. I'd seen it before this, just not on this scale. I decided there was no way I'd spend that kind of coin on a gun that finicky. It'd just make me mad.
    So, I shoot a G17 in production. Not all that well even but I will tell you that my gun always goes bang. Always. I've had 4 FTF in about 8K rounds and they were all ammo related. Did I tell you I've only cleaned it 3 times. Other than spraying it down with a little oil in the action once in a while, I do nothing to it. I like that.

Whats a guy to do ? I started researching Open Glocks. There's not a lot of current info out there. Most info is dated. Things have changed.
    Things that limit a Glock are mag capacity and having to load 9mm major. I thought a lot about that. I decided I could live with/work around both of those issues.

Parts, I had an extra G17 to work with. Unity Tactical had a new optics mounting system that, in my mind fit the bill perfectly. Problem was, their mount wasn't set up for the JPoint I wanted to use. No worries, Matt the guy doing their machine work called me the day he got it to ask exactly what I was after. I told him what I was after, he thought about it for a little and told me he could make it happen, He did.
    I had a blind marked Wolf threaded barrel. Cool
    I looked and looked at comps. Looked and looked some more and decided I'd just make my own. I didn't like the large gap between the barrel and comp so I took the time to fit it and make it look better.
    I decided to mill my slide myself. I didn't want to just copy what everyone else is doing so I did my own style.
    The color is "Angry Mike" from the Bloomberg collection. Got to love it.

I'll post more info and detailed pic's after a function test and tear down. Enjoy

documentmsgIdINBOXDELIM7138part2len_zpsa9967e9d.jpg
    documentmsgIdINBOXDELIM7136part2len_zps747e9546.jpg
    documentmsgIdINBOXDELIM7137part2len_zpsbb9b7d41.jpg

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Nice, glad Matt (well, technically Mark) hooked you up. He does awesome work.

Have you ever shot a Zev trigger? If not I'd take a look before you decide. I'm not a gamer but I was damn impressed with their race rigs.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Nice, glad Matt (well, technically Mark) hooked you up. He does awesome work.

Have you ever shot a Zev trigger? If not I'd take a look before you decide. I'm not a gamer but I was damn impressed with their race rigs.

I have. Also Glockworx. I liked them both. A lot.
    http://www.mcglock.com/ made me a great offer and I took him up on it. If it doesn't work like I think it should I'll have to back up and punt.

Fixed it for ya to make it more of an accurate statement. You're welcome ;)

Fair enough. I forgot about that. Crap. lol

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    With no poppels but numerous, hefty ports, you'll probably want to look at a powder that's gassy and on the very slow side, to get the most out of your comp. Not sure if AC fits that bill, but I do know that most of the 9 Major recipes out there (3n38 comes to mind) are working in the wrong direction. Obviously, the case volume of the 9x19 will limit you some as well-- even running compressed loads.

I'm curious as to how you'll balance the primer situation out, as most people are running Magnum or Rifle for Open Major loads... but you'll have light strikes to contend with at the same time, and those are HARD cups. I do know that if you tweak your press to seat the primers deeper than usual, you can overcome a lot of those issues in many cases-- but I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Keep us posted. And like I said on FB-- at least it's not WHITE.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    With no poppels but numerous, hefty ports, you'll probably want to look at a powder that's gassy and on the very slow side, to get the most out of your comp. Not sure if AC fits that bill, but I do know that most of the 9 Major recipes out there (3n38 comes to mind) are working in the wrong direction. Obviously, the case volume of the 9x19 will limit you some as well-- even running compressed loads.

I'm curious as to how you'll balance the primer situation out, as most people are running Magnum or Rifle for Open Major loads... but you'll have light strikes to contend with at the same time, and those are HARD cups. I do know that if you tweak your press to seat the primers deeper than usual, you can overcome a lot of those issues in many cases-- but I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Keep us posted. And like I said on FB-- at least it's not WHITE.

Bo, wth is (no poppels) ?

Thanks for the info Bo. As far as the comp goes, It was an exercise in fitment to the barrel. Not at all what I'll end up with. Most of the pistol comps I see leave a lot to be desired. I think there's a lot of room for improvement.

Primers, I'm planning on starting with SR primers.

Im not really trying to reinvent the wheel but I'm also not going to just ask others to share their hard work. I'll enjoy the trip and see where I end up.

Top Bottom