My new open gun for USPSA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    Couple of thoughts-

I have shot TX open before and that range can be detrimental to any gun. I saw glocks fail there as well. As a matter of fact glocks in competition tend to be the most finicky guns out there. Reason being, most people buy glocks because they can modify them themselves. The issue with non-gunsmiths playing gunsmith is that there are lots of things to consider other than does it fit in the gun. A lot of those parts will lock a gun up really quickly. Most of the sti's were built by gunsmiths who know what they are doing. All of that being said, you blow dust and mud in any of them and they are going to eventually lock up.

Your comp-

The function of the comp is to try and tame the muzzle rise. The most important part of the comp is the first port. It takes the brunt of the gas and does more work than the rest. Your comp features a very small hole in the top and large ports to the side in the first chamber. That design will be good for settling left to right movement, but not so good at keeping muzzle rise in check. You also could probably do away with the last chamber. Not much gas left at that point.

Ammo-

While I will agree with you that things have changed, one thing that hasn't is the front to back length of glock mags. You are going to be pretty limited when it comes to powder/bullets that will get you to the power factor and still fit the mags.

Slide mounted dot-

You can probably get used to it, but it will be more difficult than a frame mounted setup.

Good luck with your setup and I do look forward to shooting with you!

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    My comment wasn't a slam about any of the open gun builders at all and shouldn't have come across that way if it did. I'm a machinest by trade, I have a better than average understanding of what's going on with the tolerance's in them. Don't
    get me wrong, 1911's are my favorite.

Thanks for the info

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Yeah, that. In the barrel and then the slide as well.

Purists hate 'em. I know Max doesn't run any by choice.

That's one of those coonass words isn't it ? Port's is the yank word for it. Lol

I can't stand ported pistol barrels and don't see myself doing it either.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    "Popple-holes" is the name Bob Londrigan ( Brazos Custom ) came up with to describe his barrel porting. Adam Poppelwell is who the gun was built for, hence the name.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Top Bottom