My next purchase?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Hi all

I'm just getting into C&R collecting .I'm curious as to what everyone would consider a must have rifle. As of right now I've got a RC k98 a mosin nagant (round reciever) and a Vkt mosin nagant.I do enjoy the nagant series of rifle. I'm thinking either a m38 carbine of an m44. Opinion?

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    You could go crazy just on Mosins.
    M38, M44, Chinese Type 53, 91/59, 91/30 Ex-Dragoon, M91 and the list goes own.
    I'm not a big Mosin fan but I do have over 30 of them in my collection.

Sputnik

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A few schools of thought on collecting:
    collection... Focus on one thing and buy the best you can afford. Do your research, or you will be taken. Mausers, Nagants, Garands, Enfields. You name it, you can make a very extensive(expensive) collection.
    Accumulation...Buy what is available now, Nagants and Yugo Mausers are cheap today, just wait a while and the price goes up. The opposite is also true. 20 years ago I paid way too much for a Schmitt Ruben, now $200.
    I am no longer into C&R, but I went with accumulation and have had many interesting items at one time or another. If they could only talk.
    If I were to get into it again, I think that I would go with Mausers. The number of different crests is amazing. Service life from 1898 to the present. In the past year, I've seen some on this board at very good prices.
    Also, don't pass on a good buy. You can always use it as trade fodder.
    Good luck.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you want something actually fired in anger, I'd go with the Arisaka Type 99 or 38. If just another old rifle is want you want the Swiss K31 would be very tough to beat.

I still would like to see some pictures of your RC 98K.

Dave

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    I think I'm just going to stick with the mosin series of rifles for ease of ammo and affordability.

Any thoughts on if I should get a m38 or an m44 next?

and dave I threw up some pics int eh pic thread

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the picture.

The Mosin Nagant's are just so .... primitive. I own one. It's OK. They just don't get in the heart though. On mine the machining is rough on the receiver, the stock repairs are awesome and arsenal done, the bore is good.

It's weird to me how the feel in my hand of a Milsurp evokes certain images in my head. I can't say if it's the weapon influencing me or the other way around. But for that reason there are certain rifles that I hold more dear to heart than others.

MN feels like a club or 2x4 in my hand. The Arisaka feels like for lack of a better word a katana. Sleek, strong, and ready to do damage. The K31? If's it were a person I'd go with a giant weight lifter Swede. Solid and uncompromising. My 1903A3 just feels like a hunting rifle and evokes nothing. Which is sad because I want it too. My Enfield SMLE is another one that just feels like a good solid rifle, reliable, and there when it's needed. The 98K has a similar feel to the Arisaka but heavier. The Yugo M24/47 just feels like any hunting rifle I've ever owned. The Hakim is my latest purchase. It has a similar feel to my hand as the K31. I giant warrior ready to battle.

Dave

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    See the nagant to me feels right. The finnish one is one of my favorite rifles I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.My standard 91/30 is alright.Not My favorite thing in the world. I think I just like carbines more. I do eventually want to get a 1903 but I haven't found one for what I consider a good price

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well different strokes for different folks. I have nothing at all bad to say about the MN's. It's all very subjective.

I got lucky and found my 1903A3 on Gunbroker for $500. It's a 1943 Remington with the four groove barrel matching to the weapon, the straight stock. The rifling looks like it was made yesterday. The problems were that is was parkerized from head to toe which correct for a Remington and it has two repairs in the stock. The main problem with those is the amateurish repair. But I still feel for $500 I got a very good deal.

Dave

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm kind of bored with the Mosins too . Everybody has one . I bought an Arisaka type 99 , an Enfield and a Swiss K31 . They are fun to shoot , and real conversation starters at the range . I enjoy letting folks shoot a gun they have never seen before .
    But , like Dave said , different strokes .

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    To be truthful I agree.I don't like the arisaka at all. Im not interested in the k31 in any way. I really like the history behind the eastern front of ww2 hence the mosin and k98 love.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    i got a blond M44 at a pawn shop in town (BR) for a ridiculous price a few months ago. I like the feel of them (MN's) as well. The M44 kicks like a mule (a lot more than the 91/30). The sidefold on the bayonet is a more manageable and attractive (IMO). I was digging around here yesterday: http://classicarms.us/firearms.htm. They have some really good prices and good variety on MN's in general. I"d really love to get one of the origina scopes for my 91/30 but I just havent found one at the right price yet.
    From our side of the pond, i just started restoring an M1 Carbine. Its got a nice feel to it as well. Can't wait to get it on the range!
    I'd like to raise my bar on my collecting level, but right now, I'm going with what i can afford and justify, and MN's fit in there.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Believe it or not the US Army did testing on the Arisaka Type 99 after WW2 and found it to be hands down the strongest bolt action rifle issued during WW2 by any country. Chromed barrels and bolt faces, drainage holes in the stock, etc it's was over all a well designed weapon. Now the stupid stuff, early in the production series of the Type 99 they came with bolt covers that rattled, anti aircraft wings on the ladder sight for volley firing at enemy aircraft, and lastly a built in wire Monopod. They're tough to find with the Chrysanthemum intact and all matching parts the weird stuff still on them. Most Japanese soldiers removed the anti aircraft wings, monopod, and dust cover.So sorry 98k, 1903, SMLE and MN fans the Japanese made a far superior bolt action rifle.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom